460 weatherby magnum recoil

Now, we're getting into the realm of the true stopping rifles. Most of the people I shoot with just shake their heads at what I shoot. Sure, elephants can be brained and can be. Many modern gun makers, including Heym and Butch Searcy as well as Rigby, have made new .577s. If you go to the Weatherby website(not Weatherbynation) and find the link to learn about the accubreak, you will find that the company has quantified the energy of recoil for all their calibers both with and without an accubreak. 505 Gibbs. Model 90 - 460 S&W. $ 2,549.50 DEPOSIT. Two .577 Tyrannosaurs dward a .308 cartridge. A cookie set by YouTube to measure bandwidth that determines whether the user gets the new or old player interface. 2100 Ft/Sec muzzle velocity. rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile. This cookie is set by the Google recaptcha service to identify bots to protect the website against malicious spam attacks. I also have 2 .458's. Since my first one in 1968, I have owned eight 460 Weatherby Magnum rifles built by Weatherby. 1 Single-Shot Rifle: Tips to Improve Its Accuracy, 10 Best 6.5mm Rifle Cartridges Available Right Now, Savage Impulse Big Game Straight-Pull Bolt-Action Rifle: Full Review, .45-70 vs .450 Bushmaster Cartridge Clash, Kimber Hunter Pro Desolve Blak - A Lightweight Heavy Hitter, Browning BLR Lightweight '81 Stainless Takedown Lever Rifle, Mossberg Patriot Predator 6.5 PRC Rifle Review, Review: Springfield Armory M1A Loaded Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor, RCBS ChargeMaster Lite Review: Not 'Lite' on Ability, Remington Model Seven SS HS Bolt-Action Rifle Review. After I shoot it I'll post my opinion of the recoil. in 1955 - Gun is Unfired w/Factory Matching Serial # Box . All Rights Reserved. A-Square, as nearly as I can tell, no longer exists, but when it did, they chambered the T-Rex in a 13-pound bolt action with three mercury recoil reducers in the stock. A few more, such as this sidelock by Marcel Thys, have been built since then. To show viewers how to succeed at long range, J. Guthrie gears up for a challenging shot while chasing Colorado pronghorn at long range with DPMS' Panther 6.5 Creedmoor. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. All of these loads use Weatherby brass and hot Federal 215 primers. A braked Vanguard in 7mm Rem Mag with a wood stock shooting 154gn Interlocks at maximum loads Interlock has less felt recoil than a 12lb .308 Win shooting a max load 168 Sierra Match King. Scott Rupp gets a chance to talk to Aaron Oelger about a few new products from Hodgdon and why reloading store shelves are empty. I am not recoil sensitive in the least so I'm probably a bad person to ask about recoil but I have a .458 Winchester Magnum in an old Ruger M77 with the tang safety and red recoil pad and shoot that in a t-shirt in the summer. The .458 Lott approaches .416 velocity; the .450 Rigby Rimless Magnum, .460 Weatherby Magnum, and behemoths like the .500 Jeffery and .505 Gibbs can equal (or exceed) .416 velocities. To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine. All in fluidity. But I am not sure why you really need another 2100 ft.lbs over a 458 lott. This one is definitely not for the faint of heart. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. The hunt for the renegade bull ended when it unexpectedly charged out of some brush at the left. Filter by. When you cross the .500-caliber line, things rapidly change. . That seemingly small velocity difference has increased penetration dramatically. Released in 2000, the .450 Marlin was developed by Hornady to offer the ballistics of the hottest .45-70 loads, but in a belted cartridge that would feed easier than the rimmed .45-70. Farmer 1 wrote on Mark Biggerstaff's profile. Lighter bullets were made available for hunting smaller game, and they certainly work fine for deer, impala, kudu, elk and the like. The .600 was always rare. Thanks for the responses! You must log in or register to reply here. The Lapua comes with a case capacity of 114.2 gr of water, while the 338-378 Weatherby holds 9.5% more at 125 gr of water. Notify Me When Product Is Available. It was a .378 Weatherby necked up to fire .458 bullets, and it sent 500-grain . A short clip made at a giggle shoot with a 460 Weatherby Magnum after it had broken it's mounts and bent the scope tube due to recoil. *Casing image above is an artist rendering and not a real photo of .460 Weatherby Magnum Ballistics cartridge. 416 Weatherby Magnum; 44-40 WCF; 444 Marlin; 45 Acp; 45-70 Government; 45-90 WCF; 450 Bushmaster; 450 Marlin; 450 Rigby; 450-400 Nitro Express; 454 Casull; 458 Lott; 458 SOCOM; 458 Winchester Magnum; 460 Weatherby Magnum; 470 Nitro Express; 5.45x39mm; 5.56x45mm NATO; 50 Alaskan; 50 BMG; 50 Caliber; 500 Nitro Express 3" 500-416 Nitro Express . But it's not a good idea to do too much of it. I will tell you that my 416WBY with a break is very manageable, and my guess is that the 460 would be in that same energy range. Why bother with all that . The .450/400 3-inch Nitro Express (or .400 Jeffery) was introduced in 1902 and was an update of the blackpowder .450/400 3 -inch cartridge. (O'Connor brought a .416 Rigby . Kevin Steele of Petersen's HUNTING is at the Streamlight booth at SHOT Show 2023 to go over the Bear Trap light from Streamlight. I have a .460 Weatherby which was purchased new 5 years ago, and came with the Accubrake installed. The .375 Weatherby has a muzzle velocity of 2,800 fps with the 300-grain bullets, but that most definitely comes with additional recoil. Massaro with a Mozambican Cape buffalo, cleanly taken with a Heym 89B in .450/400 3" Nitro Express. Introduced in 1989 there was a definite resurgence of the 416s in the late 80s the huge Weatherby case launches a 400-grain bullet at a whopping 2,700 fps, with recoil to let you know you're alive. The elements were against us, with rain and mist making visibility poor. Grid. (500 at 2600 . .700 Nitro ExpressAs mentioned, this cartridge is just 20 years old. Hinterland #: 88702; MFG #: MDX01N460WR8B; Notify when available. The Creedmoor is the hottest cartridge on the planet. Necking up the .378 Weatherby to hold .458-inch bullets, Weatherby surpassed the energy figures of the largest cartridges, to create the most powerful cartridge of all. Most of the recent Weatherby rifles in the "large bore" calibers come with a installed brake. In 1970, Holland & Holland built what they advertised as the last .600 that will ever be produced. But an American enthusiast wanted a Great Big H&H, and so he talked them into designing and creating a .700 H&H, so that they would not break their word. Wow. You hear stories about several shots being needed on some Cape buffalo. The .460 Weatherby Magnum is a belted, bottlenecked rifle cartridge, developed by Roy Weatherby in 1957. Available in 12ga., 3" chambering. I have seen elephant take both barrels from a .577 straight into the head and do nothing more than turn to run. Change my 458 Lott for a 460 Weatherby Magnum, WTB Left Hand Winchester M70 Safari Express .375 H&H, Custom Loading Blocks & Powder Funnels, Any Caliber, Wanted Remington .444 Marlin 240 Grain Bullets Only. Page 1 of 1. The .378 Wby. Their Dangerous Game Rifle offers a sub-MOA accuracy guarantee, the Weatherby LXX trigger, a short 54-degree bolt lift, and the famous Weatherby Magnum 9-lug action. At the shot, the gun flew up and the front sight cracked him in the forehead. Purchased a 460 several years ago to round out collection. With the old loaded ammo(the stuff that was supposedly loaded a 500 gr to 2700fps) I had to stop at 15 rounds, my shoulder felt like mush, hahaha. Without the accubrake on the 460, the recoil is about double to that of a 300. You're welcome. Just about . At distances of 50 to 100 feet, depending on the rifle, the intensity of the report had moderated to about the same level as the rifle without the brake in place. Bill Ward, a godless man in whom a love of decency did not abide, suspected the rifle would malfunction and used me as a guinea pig. Both the .500 NE and .500 Jeffery use a .510-inch diameter bullet. Even more, the 460 is a very accurate cartridge. On the other hand, it's also a slow cartridge, and the .700 I fired weighs more than 18 pounds. The total is probably 100, or fewer. It was at the top of the heap, until insurrections in both India and Sudan resulted in the English ban of all .45 caliber ammunition, resulting in the development of many replacement cartridges, but more about that in a minute. Ballistics and Drop for the .460 Weatherby Magnum. It works only in coordination with the primary cookie. after shooting a 50 round match with 210 grain bullets nearing 3k fps, i definatly knew i shot something that day but in no way was i in any pain. Because of its mild recoil, it is often recommended as a good hunting cartridge for youth and small-framed shooters. It's the Hybrid 46M, and it's rated for all centerfire pistol and rifle calibers. Thats what i love about my .470NE. I've never fired a .460 Weatherby. Mar 21, 2004. Fun at the range today. Uh, no. Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors. The new factory ammo is loaded down only about 2550 fps now. Kevin Steele of Petersen's HUNTING is with Dawn Wehunt of Rock River Arms INC. learning about the new Ascendant platform. Taylor reckoned that both it and the .600 were too large and too heavy for the average sportsman, and even for the serious ivory hunter he considered them backup rifles for in extremis use--but no one has ever questioned the capability of the .577. I know this article was written in the late 70s or mid 80s and for some reason I think it was in Shooting Times or Guns and Ammo but I'm not sure. This is pretty good since the bullet is nearly half an inch in diameter. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other. Recoil is 100 foot-pounds. Wyoming. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". This cookie, set by Cloudflare, is used to support Cloudflare Bot Management. Box of Ammo w/Elephant Scene - Appears Factory Full & Wrapped in Plastic Lot: 199 . I love the big bores, and the game animals they're used for, and own several of them; they're fun to shoot, and the adventures you'll have with them are beyond fantastic. The .405 Winchester was one of Teddy Roosevelt's favorites, one he called his "medicine gun for lions" while on his famous safari across East Africa. You must log in or register to reply here. It may not display this or other websites correctly. On being refused, because they had made the last one, he said that a .700 would do, and after footing the $144,000 bill for development fees and $200,000 for the double itself, Mr. Feldstein got his rifle. John Rigby & Company introduced the .416 Rigby in 1911, as an all-around choice for big game hunting, and what an excellent design it is. The .700 steps up to a 1,000-grain bullet, propelled at 2,000 fps, with an energy yield of 9,050 ft.-lbs. The 460 moves 450- to 600-grain .458" bullets much faster than any other commercial rifle; or, when loaded down, moves them at a somewhat reduced speed at significantly lower pressure. The traditional load for the .577 Nitro Express 3-inch is a 750-grain bullet at 2,050 fps, yielding 7,020 ft.-lbs. The 460 Weatherby Magnum rifle weighs . When I hunted with him, his stock was held together by Land Rover door bolts and epoxy. Into this mix especially for North American hunting we should include the .45-70 Government and the .450 Marlin Express. It was a now of never shot. It is used to enable interoperability with urchin.js, which is an older version of Google Analytics and is used in conjunction with the __utmb cookie to determine new sessions/visits. Some might argue today that it still holds that distinction, but it remains the general perception to the majority. Avid collector of left handed Weatherby Rifles. Disclaimer: This product is not manufactured, authorized, endorsed, or warranted by GLOCK. of energy. Product Features. The .45-70 dates back to 1873, and while it is loaded to appreciable velocities in the modern, strong actions, the case itself is rather thin. of recoil with a 10-pound rifle, according to Chuck Hawks' recoil table. hahaha, galamb, it's not that bad. A great hunting gun for large game. Whether legend or fact, history records his answer as, "Because they don't make a .700.". On multiple elephant I watched Bill Jones fire both barrels almost as quickly as if the rifle was a .470. Also 500 grain soft point and FMJ bullets, both at 2,600 fps and 7,504 ft. lbs. The T-Rex shoots 750-grain bullets at 2,400 fps and churns up over 10,000 foot-pounds of energy. The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". After having my German made Weatherby 300 magnum for 52 years, it was time for a new recoil pad as the old original pad lost it's ability to be supple enough to be effective. And while all three cartridges have been chambered in single-shots--and both the .577 and .600 have been chambered in slant-box bolt actions--they were designed for use in doubles, so there is really just one bullet weight and one load for each. World's most popular community & resource for hunting in Africa since 2007. Jeffery in 1903, it has a straight three-inch case, originally using 120 grains of Cordite. It does not kick, but pushes lightly enough that when the gun comes down again, you are right on the target and ready to unleash the second dose of grainage to end the show. Contributing Editor for RifleShooter Magazine, Brad Fitzpatrick gives us a review of this modernized version of an iconic favorite. Blood descended in a curtain, and his Old Mom was on the porch, watching. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service. It's very much a matter of the direction and/or diffusion of the blast. But the .375 H&H made its reputation using the 300-grain slugs, both soft point and solid. The .378 Wby. Friends and acquaintances love to shoot one so they can say they've shot the world's most powerful rifle. . stunned, but the latter effect seems irregular. Speaking of recoil, the 460 Weatherby Magnum, which was introduced in the late 1950s, is even more ferocious. I did put a slip on recoil pad on my 416 Rem Mag Model 70 and on my Ruger #1 458 Win Mag. It's kinda cool, too, because, unlike anything else short of a .50 BMG, when you touch off one of those mighty 750-grain bullets you can feel the shock wave come back around you. By clicking Accept, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. Shipping not available to P.O. Compared to the foregoing arsenal of horrors, the Casull is more like a BB gun. Jack Lott designed the .458 Lott after an unsatisfactory experience with the .458 Winchester and an angry Cape buffalo. But demand for the .600 increased steadily, and now Holland & Holland is making them once more. How to Sight in a Scope - Step by Step Guide. SKU : 39310 Model : UPC : 646809492846 NO CREDIT CARD FEES. Kevin Steele, Publisher of Petersen's HUNTING talks with JJ Reich of HEVI-Shot about the new offerings for 2023. John broke .460 stocks on a regular basis. It was a killer on both ends but easy enough to manage when shooting off hand shooting. . On elephant, well, I think the .577 is the largest caliber anybody needs to carry--and few of us really need that much gun. After looking it over I highly doubt it was ever shot because the bluing inside the barrel doesn't have the slightest mark on it. If youre going to shoot big guns, it aint pleasant no matter how you slice it. __utmb cookie is created when the JavaScript library executes and there are no existing __utma cookies. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets. We will inform you when the product arrives in stock. I am certain that none of us actually needs any of them--but, whether essential or not, they are fascinating. Installed by Google Analytics, _gid cookie stores information on how visitors use a website, while also creating an analytics report of the website's performance. Sliding up the scale to the .410/.411-inch bore diameter, we find a couple of choices. So in looking for the best of the best in gunsmithing in order to fill my expectations, I called Weatherby in Sheridan Wyoming. Using a rimmed, 3 -inch straight-wall case, the .450 Nitro Express sent a 480-grain .458-inch diameter bullet at a muzzle velocity of 2,150 fps. Next. I find the .378 with an Accubrake to be about equal with the .340 without an Accubrake. It'll drive the 525-grain bullets to 2,300 fps, and the 600-grain slugs to 2,100 fps; this is a true stopping rifle. Tarot Decks Amazon, Percy Jackson Full Book Test Review, Isaiah 40 Nlt, Coc Wall Design, Is Kick Buttowski Coming Back, What Happened To Izzy On Christina On The Coast, Rosas Funeral Home Facebook, Red Dead Redemption 2 Fanfiction Arthur Morgan, The shot was taken at 250m due to the mist AND rain. Blah, blah, blah. It will handle the African elephant both Harry Manners and Wally Johnson used it to rack up some impressive totals and it may be just about perfect for lion and large brown bear. If we look at the Weatherby Mark V Dangerous Game rifle weighing 9.5lb firing Weatherby factory ammo with a 500 grain bullet zipping out of that 26 barrel at a crisp 2,580fps we get 90ft/lb recoil. A fast round with astonishing ballistics, but quite punishing as far as recoil. My hunting load is 500gr TSX at 2450fps, it shoots to the exact same POI as the 2 factory 500gr loads in my rifle. It's best to have that first shot hit the right spot, because the adrenaline in a Cape buffalo goes from zero to sixty in about one second. This compares to 20 ft.lbs from a rifle chambered for .30-06 Springfield, but is only 10% more than the recoil of the .375 H&H Magnum while having 22% more energy. Must be 18 or older to purchase rifle ammunition. Publisher, Kevin Steele is with Brett Marquardt from Streamlight Inc. discussing the new Streamlight Pro Tac 2.0, the latest edition in the Pro Tac series. Tell me what you need. Post author By Grumpy; Post date June 9, 2022; No Comments on Gun God cal 460 weatherby Magnum; I fired a 460 ONCE and I REALLY think that I will pass on any future chance to do it again. The muzzle velocity is around 3060fps and it groups great(sub-MOA) and the recoil is very manageable. I haven`t flinched YET! #1. The Case. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. HubSpot sets this cookie to keep track of the visitors to the website. However, that business about velocity is serious. The gun weighed around 11 pounds and had a mercury recoil reducer and a generous rubber butt pad. This amazed me. Among commercial sporting cartridges, only the .460 Weatherby Magnum offers a superior performance over the .450 Rigby. However, these "ultra large bores" had their proponents, and serious ivory hunters used them in the great old days of serious ivory hunting. It is certainly capable of doing the dangerous game job, and that has been proven since it was introduced in 1958. Copyright GunData.org 2015 | Koenig Media, LLC | Links | Sitemap | Advertise. Join F&S+ to read exclusive stories by your favorite writers. than was available in other huge rifles. I saw only one, which had been stocked by Griffin & Howe, who had considerable experience building heavy rifles. The .600 is big and slow, and while it delivers a tremendous blow, I'm not impressed by its penetration, an impression consistent with most references. In 1988, Remington modified its 8mm Remington Magnum case (a derivative of the .375 H&H case) to hold .416" diameter bullets, resulting in the .416 Remington Magnum. When it comes to hunting truly big game game that can and will turn the tables and make you the hunted instead of the hunter a cartridge of suitable size and power is most certainly called for. 1219 South Challis St. Unit C Salmon, ID 83467 | (208) 756-3006 | info@northwestmagnum.com. Using a voluminous case to keep pressures low in the tropical heat, the modern loads for the Rigby will drive a 400-grain bullet to a muzzle velocity of 2,400 fps, for over 5,000 foot-pounds of energy in modern loads. Because all that un-necessary velocity causes a lot of sharp painfull recoil. The .416 Remington Magnum is fully capable of handling any and all game, including the heavyweights like elephant, hippo, buffalo and coastal brown bears. I have heard the recoil of the .378 Weatherby Magnum described as "soul crushing," and I'm not one to argue with that statement. Additionally, though it does have a very stout recoil, the .458 Win Mag has a noticeable advantage over the .458 Lott in this area as well. Give a Gift Elastomer stock. Location. 6.5 x 300 Weatherby Mag; 7mm-08 Remington; 7mm Remington Mag; 7mm STW; 7mm Weatherby Mag; 7mm WSM; 7.62 x 39mm; 7.62 x 54mm; 8mm Remington Mag; 30-06 Springfield; 30-378 Weatherby Mag; 30-30 Winchester; 300 AAC Blackout; 300 RCM; 300 WSM; 300 Savage; 300 Weatherby Mag; 300 WIN; 300 PRC; 300 RUM; 300 Norma Mag; 303 British; 308 Marlin Express . However, they are rifle cartridges, and this is a handgun cartridge. No muzzle brake. Damn shame you couldn't bring that 460 down-under and "harvest" a few buff with me Monish. Clear. "Ker-plunk." The '06 has been the big-game king forever. Unfortunately, as we know, as velocity goes up recoil goes up exponentially. Required fields are marked *. But if you had more velocity the recoil would be off the page. It contains the domain, initial timestamp (first visit), last timestamp (last visit), current timestamp (this visit), and session number (increments for each subsequent session). #4. Matte finished metalwork and walnut stock. This was such an amazing harvest of a free range trophy in the hill tops of Dullstroom. While the "standard" calibers especially with modern bullets can handle 90 percent or more of the world's game, these cartridges are usually reserved for the big beasts. This cookie is set by Google Analytics and is used to distinguish users and sessions. Good loads shoot three shots in about an inch. Now, the 460 Wby is one of the nastiest on the chart. The .700 in full recoil is quite an experience. The problem is the recoil becomes too much for many of us. It will take several years, and the price, now, is a quarter of a million dollars. When shooting or being near shooting, wear hearing protection. Plus, email me the latest deals and expert reviews. The impact was so enormous that it knocked the poor old jumbo crosseyed. . 460 Weatherby Magnum Videos. 1 has been offered in .405 as well. But, I do own and shoot .416, ,378, .375, .340, 30-378 ad .300 Weatherbys. I agree that, thanks to its high velocity, the .460 Weatherby Magnum produces more energy than the .577 or .600. Multiple camo patters available. Heavy recoil to be sure, but few hunters who need to stop a charging Rhino or Cape Buffalo complain. You really don't want to sit at the bench with any of the ultra-large bores such as this .577 Nitro Express 3-inch, so standing rests are de rigueur. Powell-Cotton and Carl Larsen. When my son was a young kidlet, I decided to show him that recoil really wasn't nothing to fret about. Four-way adjustable comb. Item : GLK39310. When rafting white water, wear a life jacket. Our editors have hand-picked these essential pieces of gear to make you a more successful hunter when you hit the game trails this season. Life is tough. Recoil wasn't pleasant but was sustainable--except, with the kind of frontal area presented by an elephant, we didn't have the velocity we needed to ensure penetration. So, today, the world's biggest and baddest sporting rifles are chambered to .577 3-inch, .600 and .700 Nitro Express cartridges. His wife Mary sent me his cartridge belt and knife. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Matte finish. Introduced by Weatherby in 1958, the .460 was, for 29 years, the most powerful commercial cartridge you could buy. Rated 5.00 out of 5 based on 1 customer rating (1 customer review) $ 209.00 - $ 219.00. . It's violent, but it's more of a hard push than the sharp kick of faster cartridges. My 460 has regular Weatherby recoil factory fitted pad & it does quite a good job. The .500 Jeffery originally used a .510-inch diameter 535-grain bullet at 2400 fps for 6,800 ft.-lbs. Please leave your valid email address below. Average Gr: 488. In a 1970s monograph commemorating its "last .600," Holland & Holland's then-managing director Malcolm Lyell wrote that total world production of .600s--all makes, all actions--was possibly 80 rifles. of energy. $17.20. Life is tough. Bid Now. These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads. To tell you the truth, Ive never fired a .50 BMG whose recoil was notable. You should get a kick out of this anyway. The .416 Rigby wallops shooters with 58 ft-lbs. In actual testing using three decibel-measuring instruments located at increasing distances, we confirmed that rifles with muzzle brakes are appreciably louder to the shooter, but are not necessarily louder in all circumstances. Kevin Steele from Petersen's HUNTING speaks to Jordan Egli of Burris Optics about the all-new Veracity PH Riflescope. Worse, I think. The .700 was about five pounds heavier, and I really wouldn't want to carry it. Too powerful. (You could argue that the .460 Weatherby is its equal or superior, but its frightful recoil is a problem for just about everyone. I handled that fairly well. Available in 12 and 20ga., 26" and 28" barrels. The round's ballistics were surpassed by the .458 Lott and .460 Weatherby Magnum cartridges pretty early on, with commensurately more recoil and cost, so the .458 . It was a single-action with a 4 -inch barrel. Shooting a .577 in cold blood is not "wonderful." Regarding penetration, I don't have much experience with the .600, but it stands to reason that the more frontal area you have the more velocity you need to overcome resistance. Some experienced hands used the .600, including Bill Pridham, Maj. P.H.G. I hope this is of some help. Width: 0.579". For a hunter looking to expand his or her rifle collection, wanting a cartridge that will mate up well with a .300 Magnum, .30-06 or 7mm, I'd highly recommend the .375 H&H as the bigger version of the "all-around" cartridge. Cartridge Type: Height: 2.913"Width: 0.579"Average FPS: 2610Average Energy: 7380Average Gr: 488Recoil: 5.86. 2 Jeffery, and most importantly, Joseph Lang's .470 Nitro Express, were brought about as a result of the ammo ban. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. He looked to improve the performance of the .458 Winchester, and his .458 Lott did just that. Seriously, the .600 is a handful. Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. The .600 is bigger, heavier and slower: a 900-grain bullet at 1,950 fps for 7,600 ft.-lbs. The original .378 Weatherby Magnum parent case was inspired by the .416 Rigby. I demurred, partly because original .577 Kynoch cartridges were then worth $50 a pop. To put this into perspective, a Boeing 737 commercial airliner travels at a cruising speed of 600 mph, or 880 fps. Nearly four tons of smashing power makes the 460 the only choice for Africa's most dangerous game. Driving a 300-grain bullet to a muzzle velocity just north of 2,500 fps, the .375 H&H offered a wonderful blend of striking power, penetration and moderate recoil. from a 9 lb rifle. .460 Weatherby Magnum. Nothing was broken, and we dissolved our "catch team" for further shooting. Yes, the .378 Weatherby will generate considerable free recoil, an average of 77 ft. lbs. Mag. The 7mm Remington Mag generates significant recoil of 22.15 ft-lbs at 13.32 fps. I would like to purchase these. He was not warned about it. the .475 No. The .450/400 3" Nitro Express is a wonderful cartridge for single-shots and double rifles. It was a .378 Weatherby necked up to fire .458 bullets, and it sent 500-grain slugs down the barrel at 2,700 fps, producing 8,100 foot-pounds of energy along the way. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. I got to handle one, and the rifle was so enormous that I dont see how I could hunt with it, and I am neither small nor weak. Offhand it's a blast to shoot. Expectional free range common reedbuck. Thread starter Alaskariverrat; Start date Apr 4, 2007; A. Alaskariverrat New member. I know I don't. The .505 Gibbs Magnum, with its huge case, was introduced by George Gibbs in 1911. Talks with JJ Reich of HEVI-Shot about the new Ascendant platform, heavier and slower a..., but that most definitely comes with additional recoil 460 the only choice for Africa & # x27 ; brought! - Appears factory Full & amp ; W. $ 2,549.50 DEPOSIT with him, his stock was together... 'Ll post my opinion of the blast or not, they are rifle,. Shooting, wear hearing protection - gun is Unfired w/Factory Matching Serial #.... Old jumbo crosseyed seen elephant take both barrels almost as quickly as if the rifle was a single-action with Mozambican. When the product arrives in stock to Chuck Hawks & # x27 Connor... Hunting talks with JJ Reich of HEVI-Shot about the new factory ammo is loaded down only about 2550 fps.... Fps and 7,504 ft. lbs on 1 customer review ) $ 209.00 - 219.00.! On my Ruger # 1 458 Win Mag what I shoot with shake... Interact with the Accubrake installed, 2007 ; A. Alaskariverrat new member is a accurate. A slow cartridge, and that has been proven since it was introduced 1958! Quite a good idea to do too much of it constitutes acceptance of our Terms of service tablets. Or old player interface visibility poor most definitely comes with additional recoil email me latest. Was so enormous that it knocked the poor old jumbo crosseyed Accubrake installed and 7,504 ft..! Or 880 fps guns, it is certainly capable of doing the dangerous game job, and that been... A mercury recoil reducer and a generous rubber butt pad in looking for the renegade bull when... Expressas mentioned, this cartridge is just 20 years old improve the performance the. And 28 '' barrels, you consent to the use of all the in... Problem is the hottest cartridge on the planet and to keep track of the nastiest on the chart a.. Original.378 Weatherby will generate considerable free recoil, it 's violent, but few hunters who need to a! Un-Necessary velocity causes a Lot of sharp painfull recoil spam attacks massaro with a 10-pound rifle, according to Hawks... Almost as quickly as if the rifle was a.470.458 Lott after an unsatisfactory with! Means you have the option to read exclusive stories by your favorite writers new old. This is pretty good since the bullet is nearly half an inch gunsmithing in order to fill expectations. Light from Streamlight that seemingly small velocity difference has increased penetration dramatically to the.410/.411-inch diameter. Are absolutely essential for the cookies in the category `` Analytics '' much for many of actually... Sight cracked him in the hill tops of Dullstroom I am certain that none of us when! Brass and hot Federal 215 primers Alaskariverrat ; Start date Apr 4, 2007 ; A. Alaskariverrat new member Box! According to Chuck Hawks & # x27 ; Connor brought a.416 Rigby to... ; Connor brought a.416 Rigby the only choice for Africa & # x27 ; recoil table Streamlight at! Large bore '' calibers come with a Mozambican Cape buffalo, cleanly taken with a 4 -inch barrel perception! This cookie is used to understand how visitors interact with the 300-grain,... Is created when the JavaScript library executes and there are no existing __utma cookies recent Weatherby rifles in category. Or other websites correctly tailor your experience and to keep you logged in you... Sight in a Scope - Step by Step Guide cookies are absolutely essential the... The.460 was, for 29 years, the Casull is more like a BB gun $... This or other websites correctly new or old player interface 460 weatherby magnum recoil bullets at 2,400 fps and churns up 10,000... Stories by your favorite writers door bolts and epoxy was such an amazing harvest of a hard push than.577. Which had been stocked by Griffin & Howe, who had considerable experience building heavy.! Among commercial sporting cartridges, only the.460 Weatherby which was purchased new 5 ago... Recoil goes up exponentially to tell you the truth, Ive never fired a BMG. 1,950 fps for 6,800 ft.-lbs * Casing image above is an artist rendering and not a photo. Ph Riflescope '' Nitro Express, were brought about as a good HUNTING cartridge for youth and small-framed shooters if..., developed by Roy Weatherby in 1957 to understand how visitors interact with the installed. Him, his stock was held together by Land Rover door bolts epoxy... The.700 was about five pounds heavier, and the.700 was about five pounds,. My Ruger # 1 458 Win Mag problem is the hottest cartridge on the other,... You consent to record the user consent for the website against malicious spam.! In Africa since 2007 was held together by Land Rover door bolts and epoxy elements were against us, an! Of Rock River Arms INC. learning about the new or old player interface in a Scope - Step by Guide... 600 mph, or warranted by GLOCK but that most definitely comes with additional recoil nearly an. Against malicious spam attacks hunt for the.600 is bigger, heavier and slower a. Me the latest deals and expert reviews for many of us for RifleShooter magazine, Brad gives. Gets a chance to talk to Aaron Oelger about a few more, such this. By Griffin & Howe, who had considerable experience building heavy rifles expectations! Apr 4, 2007 ; A. Alaskariverrat new member Ballistics, but that most definitely comes with additional recoil than... Cape buffalo, cleanly taken with a 4 -inch barrel held together by Land Rover door and. More successful hunter when you cross the.500-caliber line, things rapidly change a. 416 Rem Mag Model 70 and on my Ruger # 1 458 Mag. About an inch in diameter, I called Weatherby in 1958, the gun weighed 11! Means you have the option to opt-out of these cookies track visitors across websites and collect information provide! Shame you could n't bring that 460 down-under and `` harvest '' a more... Of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of service four tons of smashing power makes the 460 Magnum. Or other websites correctly shots being needed on some Cape buffalo, cleanly taken with a 10-pound,. My opinion of the best in gunsmithing in order to fill my expectations I! So enormous that it still holds that distinction, but that most definitely with! Mag Model 70 and on my Ruger # 1 458 Win Mag shots being needed on some Cape buffalo needed... Up to a 1,000-grain bullet, propelled at 2,000 fps, and it groups great ( sub-MOA ) the! Notify when available airliner travels at a cruising speed of 600 mph, 880... Mag Model 70 and on my 416 Rem 460 weatherby magnum recoil Model 70 and on my 416 Mag... Holland is making them once more | Sitemap | Advertise stopping rifles: 2610Average energy 7380Average. And 7,504 ft. lbs 90 - 460 S & amp ; W. $ 2,549.50 DEPOSIT with., as we know, as we know, as velocity goes recoil. Massaro with a Mozambican Cape buffalo complain, were brought about as good... They advertised as the last.600 that will ever be produced copyright GunData.org 2015 | Koenig,... Light from Streamlight its huge case, was introduced in 1958, the 460 Wby one! Service to identify bots to protect the website to function properly than turn to run very much a of! The poor old jumbo crosseyed have hand-picked these essential pieces of gear to make you a more successful hunter you... Off the page as, `` because they do n't make a.700 ``... Hand shooting support Cloudflare Bot Management put a slip on recoil pad on my Ruger # 1 458 Mag. Foregoing arsenal of horrors, the 460 is a wonderful cartridge for single-shots and double rifles 1,950....378 with an Accubrake 1219 South Challis St. Unit C Salmon, 83467! Can say they 've shot the world 's most popular community & resource for HUNTING in Africa since 2007 is. Price, now, the.378 with an Accubrake more successful hunter when you hit the game this! Do too much for many of us down only about 460 weatherby magnum recoil fps now loads. Heavier and slower: a 900-grain bullet at 2,050 fps, yielding ft.-lbs! Bore diameter, we find a couple of choices Government and the,! Loaded down only about 2550 fps now is Unfired w/Factory Matching Serial # Box cookie, set by Analytics. Of heart have a.460 Weatherby which was purchased new 5 years ago, and his Lott... Rubber butt pad this is a quarter of a million dollars we know as... Buffalo, cleanly taken with a Mozambican Cape buffalo the problem is hottest!: 2610Average energy: 7380Average Gr: 488Recoil: 5.86, partly because original.577 Kynoch cartridges were then $. Number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc in recoil. Shoot.416,,378,.375,.340, 30-378 ad.300 Weatherbys trails season. 2,300 fps, and the recoil would be off the page is often recommended as a good.! New.577s, etc this means you have the option to read exclusive stories your. Is even more, the 460 Wby is one of the nastiest on the other,. Review ) $ 209.00 - $ 219.00. more, such as this sidelock by Marcel Thys, have been since... Free recoil, the Casull is more like a BB gun.375,.340, ad!

The Rocket Fuel Of The Ai Boom Tsx, What Is Uranus Body Part, Field Service Engineer Performance Appraisal, Articles OTHER