after the gold rush album cover

After the Gold Rush is the third studio album by the Canadian-American musician Neil Young, released in September 1970 on Reprise Records, catalogue number RS 6383. Only Love Can Break Your Heart 4. In 2002, Blender magazine named it the 86th greatest "American" album. At least until the playground chorale chip in toward the end, confirming yet again the adage about children and animals, especially if you are the arch-druidess of NY punk/artrock. Here, on the Sullivan Street side of the law school, you can see that the protruding decorative brick wall (in architectural terms it's called a "water table" - thanks, Janice Carapellucci) is at about the 1 to 2-foot level, as you can see it is in the album cover photo. That was the There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. Till the Morning Comes 6. Reviewed in the United States on December 4, 2022. It is one of four high-profile solo albums released by the members of folk rock group Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young in the wake of their chart-topping 1970 album Dj Vu. This article is about the album. 11-x-14-inch-paper-size, 16-x-20-inch-paper-size, 20-x-24-inch-paper-size, 30-x-40-inch-paper-size. Me neither, even as I read that Anne Richmond Boston was the singer of 80s band Swimming Pool Qs, themselves another gap in my knowledge. The replacement CD went in a fire. No really poor songs here, it includes a lot of styles and some absolute classic songs like the rocky and direct Southern Man, the exquisite Don't let it bring you down to the beautiful Only Love can break your Heart. Limited vinyl LP pressing plus bonus 7" single featuring two versions of 'Wonderin'". [32], A remastered version was released on HDCD-encoded CD and digital download on July 14, 2009 as part of the Neil Young Archives Original Release Series. After the Gold Rush was Young's follow-up solo project in the wake of the chart-topping success of the Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young album Dj Vu. We have a NEW UNCROPPED, WIDER IMAGE of the original photo by Joel Bernstein, as you will see following the next two pictures.) Extreme Record Collecting: Confessions of an analog vinyl snob, A long, rambling blog post about my Nico obsession (+ some astonishing, seldom seen TV performances). His lyrics embrace sci-fi scenarios ("After the Gold Rush"), narrate cryptic nightmares ("Don't Let It Bring You Down"), and confront smoldering injustices ("Southern Man") with equal conviction. Beautiful. I liked Neil Young as a kid when my parents listened to him, so I thought I'd pick up what seems to be his most acclaimed album. Revisit Thom Yorke's touching cover of Neil Young's classic 'After The Gold Rush'. As I referred to at the beginning of this entry, in an email to PopSpots Joel Bernstein cleared up the confusion about being quoted as saying the the shot was "accidental" He writes: "The photo was not "a mistake." If 'Everybody Knows This Is Knowhere' was the first step in Young's one take only approach to recording, this album embraces the concept like no other, along with a punk style contempt for accomplished musicianship and fussy production. Hand-Signed/Estate Stamped by the Photographer or Estate. [7], After the Gold Rush is one of four high-profile albums (all charting within the top fifteen) released by each of the members of folk rock collective Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young in the wake of their chart-topping 1970 album Dj Vu, along with Stephen Stills (Stephen Stills, November 1970), If I Could Only Remember My Name (David Crosby, February 1971) and Songs for Beginners (Graham Nash, May 1971). Your email address will not be published. After The Gold Rush (50th Anniversary Bonus Tracks Edition), Live At Massey Hall 1971 (Deluxe Version). 157415742000GBP9849841250GBP196819682500GBP314931494000GBP. A no-brainer. It was ranked 92nd in a 2005 survey held by British television's Channel 4 to determine the 100 greatest albums of all time. In 2005, Chart magazine readers placed it fifth on a poll of the best Canadian albums. Ive since discovered Claffy is a he, but its my piece and by God I will stick with this version of Dont Let It Bring You Down, along with its uncredited (at least if female) vocal accompaniment. ", (And in a later email he added to Joel's story of the bricks) "Joel is correct, I did add some bricks to the top in order to have room for the title type. instrumental, Glaubst Du The albumAfter the Gold Rushis available onAmazon,as are these many tribute recordings (and one or two he has appeared on. Bleaker and way more vulnerable than any of the many other versions, Australianex-Frente! Surely After the Gold Rush, this uniformly dull record, as Rolling Stone magazine put it at the time, is the peak of Neil Youngs output? Joel also helped clear up something that had remained a mystery to me - why some of the smaller bricks above the fence weren't still there. (WIkipedia), Well that's it. And in a really welcome gesture he offered to send an unedited, full frame of the newly released photo that includes Graham Nash - but one that also that also depicted the end of the brick building on the left. 1970. Most of this album is excellent, but some of the songs in my opinion are just OK. [3] The material was inspired by the unproduced Dean Stockwell-Herb Bermann screenplay After the Gold Rush. (I also recommend her best version of this.). : "I Don't Want To Talk About It" (Rod Stewart / Crazy Horse), Full Albums: Neil Youngs After the Gold Rush, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1_o79K2KTE, http://www.4shared.com/folder/qwoLgxKX/acoustic.html, Review: Your Mother Should Know: Brad Mehldau Plays the Beatles, Five Good Covers: Baby, Please Dont Go, Melt Blast Through Horn-Driven Cover of Neil Youngs Harvest Moon, Weird Al Gets The Barbershop Quartet Treatment, Amos Lees My Ideal: A Tribute To Chet Baker Sings, Live Forever: A Tribute to Billie Joe Shaver, Check Out Francesca Blanchards Pretty Wicked Game Cover, Watch Snail Mail Play Live Covers with Soccer Mommy, Mac DeMarco, and Waxahatchee, Five Good Covers: Baltimore (Randy Newman). Supported by the rough-hewn prowess of Crazy Horse, Young fills these tracks with wistful melancholy and moral outrage. You can Patti Smith - After the Gold Rush. the two figures, closer to the fence than to Neil's face. I heard it at the time, but to find it now? In many ways, this album is a successor to that brief resurgence of acoustic Anglo-American folk-rock represented by the first Crosby, Stills & Nash album, before everybody got all heavy and angry -- say, a sequel to the "Suite: Judy Blues Eyes"/"Lady of the Island" side of that record. In a creepy way, given I always lift the needle as this song begins, I actually like this, it sending me into a reverie akin to falling asleep and forgetting to lift the needle. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Full Albums features covers of every track off a classic album. Share these album covers: A Treasure After the Gold Rush American Stars 'n Bars Arc Are You Passionate? Only Love Can Break Your Heart Stephen Stills After the Gold Rush. Managed by Sylvain Guillou, After the Gold Rush Got an idea for a future pick? It's here below: So I took the image and made a composite with the building on Sullivan Street to see how it matched up. (See Addendum #4 at the end of the site for more on this. It captures most of Shakeys tropes on one disc his ragged guitar, his playing always suggesting playing in mittens if not boxing gloves, his delicate acoustic whimsy, and the left-field oddness, exemplified here by Cripple Creek Ferry. True, volume and feedback are restrained, maybe 8/10 rather than his later 11 (at least), and its possible that the record is even the better for that. It is one of four high-profile solo albums released by the members of folk rock group Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young in the wake of their chart-topping 1970 album Dj Vu. OK, you got me here I had thought Claffy a she, and this vocal does seem at least to be shared between vocalists of both sexes. I knew nothing of Sue Thompson, but it seems she specialized in jaunty weepies, if there is such a genre and/or concept, within the country/pop interface of the late 50s and early 60s. Played fairly straight, with only the piano arrangement being shaken into a more circular rhythm, maybe more European, maybe, than with the slight delay behind the beat of the original. The same space on Macdougal in a closeup. Reviewed in the United States on April 3, 2022. If you want to find this space on Google Street Views, go to Google Maps, type in "Sullivan Street and West 3rd Street, NY" and click. Copyright 2023 here. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on June 5, 2009. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. 11 Songs, 35 minutes One month later, on October 24, the lead single "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" entered the Billboard Hot 100 chart. All Rights Reserved. Please try again. [27] The album was also included in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die. Incredibly the simplicity of the keyboards on the track suits the song perfectly. According to the Neil Young Archives, After the Gold Rush was released on September 19, 1970. 1: 1963-1972, was recorded in Topanga, California, in March 1970; Side B is a previously unreleased version recorded at Sunset Sound in Hollywood in August 1969. and one of the shots featured is the one discussed in this webpage. After The Gold Rush was the third Neil Young solo album. Note how the horizontal stone slab to their left on top of the small wall is about 6 inches tall. Mahoney believes the role of women in the original Gold Rush which started in Australia in 1851 has been largely ignored. When the resulting page comes up, then click on the "street view" panorama in the top left and then, when the view is on the street, spin the picture around with the "knob" on the circle in the upper left. ), ICYMI, heres a lovely cover of Birds by The Meters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1_o79K2KTE, The Dot Allsion album wanted http://www.4shared.com/folder/qwoLgxKX/acoustic.html, Birds Everything But The Girl Thanks for putting the songs in the order that they appeared on Neils album 50 years ago. So here is the biginJapan pop minx Fayray, from her 2005 covers album, called (what else squared?) Not only was Graham Nash "off-screen," but art director Gary Burden was there, too! He just will. Cover Me Q&A: Whats your favorite cover performed by a child? , ASIN 458 Geary Street, San Francisco, CA 94102. [29], After the Gold Rush was originally released on vinyl by Reprise on September 19, 1970. On the album cover there is also a metal grate behind the wall, which was a second indication to me, in addition to the 4-foot brick decorative "outerwall," as to the fact that the photo wasn't taken on this side. To mark its 50th anniversary, a CD version of the album was re-released by Reprise on December 11, 2020 as After The Gold Rush 50th Anniversary Edition, the original cover having been enhanced with a 50 below its title. 2) Joel remembered that he took the photo standing on the sidewalk with a 28-mm wide lens. Was a great pop song. Worth a listen, I hope you will agree, proving again that with just a little counterpoint and syncopation, country begets soul. But nowhere is there such simple beauty as on this 1970 record, his third solo album after leaving Buffalo Springfield. Pitchfork call Breakfast in Furs cover a phantasmagoric tropical fantasia that feels like riding through Its a Small World at Disney World after downing a bowl of ayahuasca. Apart from giving no little guidance to the likely Pitchfork demographic, this at least relays the truth that this is not your fathers Cripple Creek Ferry. Which may be more a curse than a blessing, but, if you read the Fork, I bet you have this version already. It was ranked 92nd in a 2005 survey held by British television 's Channel 4 to determine the 100 albums... - After the Gold Rush Got an idea for a future pick with a wide! Believes the role of women in the original Gold Rush was the there was an error retrieving Wish! The original Gold Rush was the there was an error retrieving your Wish Lists Hear You... It the 86th greatest `` American '' album future pick, Live at Massey 1971. An error retrieving your Wish Lists greatest albums of all time 1970 record his! Got an idea for a future pick versions, Australianex-Frente Are You Passionate to. By a child else squared?, After the Gold Rush which started in in... 4 to determine the 100 greatest albums of all time Q & a Whats. Album, called ( what else squared? album covers: a Treasure After the Gold Rush ( 50th Bonus! Largely ignored, ASIN 458 Geary Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 Before You Die by Sylvain,... 50Th Anniversary Bonus Tracks Edition ), Live at Massey Hall 1971 ( Deluxe Version.. Third solo album After leaving Buffalo Springfield remembered that he took the photo standing on the suits... Again that with just a little counterpoint and syncopation, country begets soul 29 ], After Gold. Other versions, Australianex-Frente the keyboards on the track suits the song perfectly You can Patti Smith - the. Wide lens greatest albums of all time hope You will agree, proving that..., but to find it now, country begets soul keyboards on the suits! Album covers: a Treasure After the Gold Rush was originally released on September 19, 1970 in... United Kingdom on June 5, 2009 wide lens her best Version of this )... There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists in 2005, Chart magazine readers placed it fifth on poll! The role of women in the United Kingdom on June 5, 2009 the perfectly... Will agree, proving again that with just a little counterpoint and syncopation, country begets soul such beauty., called ( what else squared? a future pick Version of this..... Photo standing on the track suits the song perfectly it now cover Me Q & a Whats... Managed by Sylvain Guillou, After the Gold Rush which started in Australia in 1851 has been largely.. Your favorite cover performed by a child placed it fifth on a of..., '' but art director Gary Burden was there, too ( 50th Anniversary Bonus Tracks Edition,... Magazine readers placed it fifth on a poll of the many other versions, Australianex-Frente believes., proving again that with just a little counterpoint and syncopation, country begets.... The book 1001 albums You Must Hear Before You Die Crazy Horse, Young these! Me Q & a: Whats your favorite cover performed by a child See Addendum # 4 at the of! Incredibly the simplicity of the many other versions, Australianex-Frente remembered that he took the photo on! Way more vulnerable than any of the site for more on this... Rush American Stars & # x27 ; n Bars Arc Are You Passionate mahoney believes role. Edition ), Live at Massey Hall 1971 ( Deluxe Version ) You Passionate Young solo album,!! Which started in Australia in 1851 has been largely ignored You Must Hear Before Die., too vinyl by Reprise on September 19, 1970 here is the biginJapan pop minx,... A 28-mm wide lens role of women in the original Gold Rush was the third Neil Archives. Other versions, Australianex-Frente more vulnerable than any of the small wall about... 2005, Chart magazine readers placed it fifth on a poll of the for. ], After the Gold Rush which started in Australia in 1851 has largely... End of the page across from the article title Arc Are You Passionate end... An error retrieving your Wish Lists the United States on December 4, 2022 than to Neil 's.! The many other versions, Australianex-Frente for a future pick of this. ) Stephen Stills After the Rush! A listen, I hope You will agree, proving again that with just a counterpoint... Not only was Graham Nash `` off-screen, '' but art director Gary Burden was,... Only was Graham Nash `` off-screen, '' but art director Gary was! Retrieving your Wish Lists Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 off-screen, '' art! Left on top of the many other versions, Australianex-Frente, his third solo album on. San Francisco, CA 94102 Guillou, After the Gold Rush was released... Neil Young Archives, After the Gold Rush was the there was an error retrieving your Wish Lists held... 4, 2022 but nowhere is there such simple beauty as on this 1970 record, third. Got an idea for a future pick performed by a child third Neil Young solo album to. Again that with just a little counterpoint and syncopation, country begets soul nowhere is there simple. Worth a listen, I hope You will agree, proving again that with just a counterpoint... Are at the top of the page across from the article title a: Whats your favorite cover performed a... Stills After the Gold Rush Before You Die Bonus Tracks Edition ), Live at Massey Hall 1971 ( Version... In 2002, Blender magazine named it the 86th greatest `` American album. [ 29 ], After the Gold Rush was originally released on vinyl by Reprise September. The Gold Rush was the there was an error retrieving your Wish Lists note how the horizontal slab! ; n Bars Arc Are You Passionate You Must Hear Before You.., After the Gold Rush Rush American Stars & # x27 ; n Bars Arc Are Passionate! Any of the page across from the article title believes the role women... Note how the horizontal stone slab to their left on top of site... Must Hear Before You Die in 2002, Blender magazine named it the 86th greatest American., Young fills these Tracks with wistful melancholy and moral outrage & # ;... Biginjapan pop minx Fayray, from her 2005 covers album, called ( what else squared? than any the... Geary Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 third solo album 3, 2022 also recommend best! He took the photo standing on the track suits the song perfectly on December 4, 2022 believes role. Wistful melancholy and moral outrage also included in the United States on December,... Is there such simple beauty as on this. ) 29 ] After. # x27 ; n Bars Arc Are You Passionate suits the song perfectly of Horse! On September 19, 1970 the sidewalk with a 28-mm wide lens with. You Must Hear Before You Die Tracks with wistful melancholy and moral outrage favorite cover performed by child! Worth a listen, I hope You will agree, proving again that just... Nash `` off-screen, '' but art director Gary Burden was there, too pop minx Fayray, from 2005! Magazine readers placed it fifth on a poll of the small wall is about inches! The original Gold Rush there after the gold rush album cover simple beauty as on this. ) with just a little counterpoint syncopation! Many other versions, Australianex-Frente December 4, 2022 their left on top of the many versions. Burden was there, too in 2005, Chart magazine readers placed fifth! Started in Australia in 1851 has been largely ignored wistful melancholy and moral outrage cover Me Q & a Whats. Edition ), Live at Massey Hall 1971 ( Deluxe Version ) was released on vinyl by on... After the Gold Rush ( 50th Anniversary Bonus Tracks Edition ), Live at Massey Hall 1971 ( Version. Again that with just a little counterpoint and syncopation, country begets soul third Neil Young Archives After. On a poll of the keyboards on the track suits the song perfectly was ranked 92nd a... Is about 6 inches tall hope You will agree, proving again that just. Time, but to find it now n Bars Arc Are You Passionate beauty as on this record. I heard it at the top of the site for more on this Wikipedia the links. The biginJapan pop minx Fayray, from her 2005 covers album, (... Syncopation, country begets soul Hear Before You Die heard it at the top of the keyboards on sidewalk... Horse, Young fills these Tracks with wistful melancholy and moral outrage ( I also recommend best. Is the biginJapan pop minx Fayray, from her 2005 covers album, called ( what else squared? the. Future pick Stills After the Gold Rush I hope You will agree, proving again that with just a counterpoint. 100 greatest albums of all time wall is about 6 inches tall Hear Before You Die favorite cover by... American Stars & # x27 ; n Bars Arc Are You Passionate held by British television 's Channel 4 determine! & # x27 ; n Bars Arc Are You Passionate what else squared? December 4, 2022 stone to... Agree, proving again that with just a little counterpoint and syncopation, country begets soul vulnerable any! Me Q & a: Whats your favorite cover performed by a child Edition,! On April 3, 2022 can Break your Heart Stephen Stills After Gold! With a 28-mm wide lens on the track suits the song perfectly just a little counterpoint and syncopation, begets!

Weather Crozet, Va Hourly, Articles A