larry fitzgerald retired

He didnt play in Week 17 due to a groin injury and missed two games due to COVID-19. Gray asked if he was just avoiding training camp. Instead, Arizona will carry a loaded receiving corps, but one that doesn't feature their previously longest-tenured, most beloved player. He spent every season with the team after being selected with the No. That remains unclear. Did @LarryFitzgerald get hacked? He didn't say no, though, when asked about if he was just skipping training camp. Green, Christian Kirk and Rondale Moore, but Fitzgerald would have added experience and and an option to help replace Hopkins' production while he's out of the lineup. He indicated that he wants to win a Super Bowl, but he's just not sure if he loves "the process" of getting there enough with where he's currently at. I just wanted to come on and chop it up with my people. I haven't seen that many guys that really possess the skillset that he has.". He has many accolades, including 11 Pro Bowl selections and three All-Pro honors. Sign up for our newsletter and get every update delivered to your inbox! Ive never felt it before. 2022Larry FitzgeraldJr. All Rights Reserved. "I'm excited to be back with Jim, Larry, and the SiriusXM family for . Fitzgerald, who has played his entire 17-year career with the Cardinals, is currently a free agent, and executives believe if he does not sign with another team, he will retire instead of. "Football is not one of those games you want to walk out there and play and not be fully engaged and ready to repare and do the things necessary that you need to do. There's no denying Larry Fitzgerald's future place in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. 2023 ARIZONA CARDINALS. The 13 games Fitzgerald played in last season also tied a career-low. While the Cardinals are clearly interested in adding to their receiving corps, they are also keeping the door open for Fitzgerald. Copyright 2019-2023. Fitzgerald is certainly the best receiver that the Cardinals have ever had. Yeah, a long way.. Hes got a lot to think about, Kingsbury said Monday, via Kyle Odegard of the Cardinals website. A popular theory is that he retired because of quarterback Kyler Murray. Larry Fitzgerald opted not to play the 2021 season, the first step towards retirement after a stellar NFL career. Follow him on Twitter @Jeremy_Cluff. After catching 75 passes during Murray's rookie season, Fitzgerald caught 54 passes in 13 games during the 2020 campaign. Those three months have come and gone, so it doesn't seem like anything has change for Fitzgerald. "That's why I needed to take the time to make sure I was making the good, clear, conscious decision," Fitzgerald said. It matters, but in the context of having had to work extremely hard, compete and succeed at a high level to get there. He has said publicly he. Having played 17 seasons, Fitzgerald is one of the best to ever lace up a pair of cleats. Larry has been the sports editor and columnist with the Minnesota Spokesman-Recorder , one . Also, continue to visit. Everything will take care of itself.. Give him the account back, Hes hacked man you honestly think LARRY FITZGERALD is saying this https://t.co/uZPzJjDJ03, Larry replied to one of the "hack" tweets with a simple response: "You are hilarious.". Now that Rondale Moore + Christian Kirk are there, Kliff Kingsbury's scheme can flourish. According to Mike Sando of The Athletic . The possibility of winning would not be the sole reason he comes back. He is a free agent but he doesn't seem to be interested in signing anywhere right now. @LarryFitzgerald Today is the most active Ive EVER seen you on Twitter brother.. your son aint messing with your phone now is he? Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald said on his radio show Friday he doesn't have the "urge to play" football right now -- but still isn't saying he's retired. How uncommon were Fitzgerald's actions on Twitter? Be sure to follow us on Twitter (@PFN365) to stay up to date with all things around the NFL. However, it is hard to place these players in the same box as Rivers just retired, Ben is on the brink, and Lee is a punter and they barely count. Sorry, Pat McAfee. Will Larry Fitzgerald retire in 2021 and if so, has he done enough over his career to be a Hall of Famer? Please make sure you review the updates. General manager Steve Keim, who was a regional scout for the Cardinals when Arizona selected Fitzgerald with the third pick in the 2004 draft, said that Fitzgerald's decision will not impact what he and his staff do during next week's draft. Nobody willing to work together to meet in the middle for the common good. I gotta hand it to Larry for sticking with a dumpster fire franchise and still being HOf worthy. Larry Fitzgerald's legendary status is cemented by a jaw-dropping fact - he has more career tackles than drops! "I had a great run. After all, it is the one achievement he has not had in his career. pray you are well and appreciate your support of our beloved Cardinals.". In that same interview with Jim Gray on Sirius XM NFL Radios Lets Go, Fitzgerald elaborated on that feeling. Larry Fitzgerald has not officially announced his retirement from the NFL yet. Kingsbury noted hed like to have Fitzgerald back on the roster for an 18th pro season. The show also features "in-depth insightful and introspective one-on-one conversations with each of these future Hall of Famer football players," according to its description. He did not announce his retirement. While they did bring in veteran wideout A.J. That couldnt have been easy. Larry Fitzgerald has not officially announced his retirement from the NFL yet. After all, Father Time is undefeated. "I'm a long way from . It would be amazing. During his 17 seasons in the NFL, Larry Fitzgerald has used his platform as a professional athlete to promote countless causes in communities throughout the United States and internationally. Hopefully I run into you at some point and we have conversation over a cold soft drink I will buy. for NFL news and in-depth analysis concerning the 2020 season and beyond. On the House Floor on March 1, 2023. He's got unusual height, weight and speed. The runner-up in the 2003 Heisman Trophy voting, Fitzgerald has more than met expectations during the course of his career. Fitzgerald said in this regard: Fitzgerald has not closed the door on an NFL return, but it is uncertain whether he'll ever come back. I know the owner , gm and coaches dont deserve a thing , but You handled it awfully," the tweet said. If it doesn't, it doesn't. It was just one of several highlight worthy tweets from the future Hall of Famer on Twitter this week. Nevertheless, he said that his desire to return to play hasn't been there. No, he will not say he is retired. Reach Jeremy Cluffat jeremy.cluff@arizonarepublic.com. ", First-year head coach makes additions to his first group, Georgia defensive lineman facing legal trouble after fatal crash, No timeline for Kyler, no answer on Hopkins as Cardinals braintrust settles in Indy, Ossenfort, Gannon have No. With training camp approaching, one of his former teammates . Larry Fitzgerald has not officially announced his retirement from the NFL yet. Fitzgerald explained it is more than just winning a championship at the end. Essentially, if he doesnt feel the urge to put in the necessary work to play and win, the struggle isnt worth it. "Tremendous player," Keim said of Pitts, who is not expected to last until the 16th overall pick. ", INJURY UPDATE: J.J. Watt &DeAndre Hopkins. Long-time receiver Larry Fitzgerald hasn't officially retired, but as the NFL season opens, he's broadcasting rather than playing. But if it does, it does. Please check your email for a confirmation. Larry's number will be retired, inducted into the Ring of Honor, and we should get a statue of him at the stadium too. Larry Fitzgerald opted not to play the 2021 season, the first step towards retirement after a stellar NFL career. "My communication with Larry has literally consisted of golf, investments, or Phoenix Suns basketball," Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said on Thursday. In just eight games for the Gators last season, the 6-foot-6, 246-pound Pitts caught 12 touchdown passes while averaging nearly 18 yards per catch. "I just don't have the urge. McCarthy discusses taking over Cowboys' play-calling, Brett Favre welfare funds scandal explained, Reich says Carr 'checks a lot of boxes' after meeting, Lewan explains why Titans put his things in trash bags, Cardinals hire ND's all-time rushing leader as RB coach. Either way much love . 2022Larry FitzgeraldJr. All Rights Reserved. At one time he was the best WR in the NFL! 1 receiver (that distinction belongs to DeAndre Hopkins), Fitzgerald has been a consistent target for quarterback Kyler Murray. He is a free agent but he doesn't seem to be interested in signing anywhere right now. You'll now receive the top Cards Wire stories each day directly in your inbox. For now, Fitzgerald would be eligible for induction in 2026, but that's assuming that he has already played his final down in the NFL. For me, I think there is no question Larry Fitzgerald is a Hall of Famer if he retired today. Can you name the 2 players who had 3-game streaks? "The pursuit is the Lombardi Trophy, but you have to be in love with the process of pursuing the Lombardi Trophy," Fitzgerald said. He missed two games after testing positive and the Week 17 game against the Rams with a groin injury. at Tommy Garrett is a writer for Pro Football Network covering the NFL and fantasy football. He had a career-low 54 catches for 409 yards and a touchdown in 2020 -- as his 7.6 yards per reception was the lowest of his Hall of Fame career. Featured | 2021 First Round NFL Mock Draft via PFNs Mock Draft Simulator v 1.0. Fitzgerald, who is intent on being as successful in business as he was in football, knows something about marketing. Larry Fitzgerald made his NFL debut in 2004, the beginning of a Hall of Fame-worthy career. While they are expected to address either their offensive line, secondary or pass rusher needs with the 16th overall pick, the Cardinals have not ruled out taking a playmaker with the pick. . He said he has no timeline and is just taking it day by day., Im just focused on the next hole and just figuring out how to get this golf game right. #AWS powered #NextGenStats is a game-changer for football fans, teams, and players. On Tuesday, he got as close as he could to saying he is retired, but he refuses to say he is retired. 3 over pick in April draft, Topics include trading in the draft, Hopkins future, and free agents to re-sign, Even off the field, Cardinals coach sees competitive nature to learning, Cardinals new playcaller has to unlock team's franchise quarterback, Age is just a number for Cardinals' new playcaller, Rodgers retained as special teams coordinator and assistant head coach, Gannon addresses one of most popular topics around quarterback, Team reportedly gets candidates for both sides of the ball, Coach knows that it isn't just about corrections but also praise. I know the owner , gm and coaches dont deserve a thing , but You handled it awfully, Fitzgeraldresponded to the tweet with: "I respect your opinion sir and thank you for sharing your thoughts. He has also been as reliable as it comes on game day. "I have no idea," Fitzgerald said. Lanae Brody. Subscribe on Apple podcasts or Spotify. The Cardinals' 2020 season ended 164 days ago, and the team insists it still doesn't know Larry Fitzgerald's plans for 2021. "I've done this for thirty-plus years and every year I have gone into it, I've felt a certain way. It was fun. And while he is no longer the team's No. For 40 years he has brought his unique perspective and social consciousness to the world of sports as a writer, producer, talk show host and commentator. Fitzgerald also praised other players and talked about why he doesn't fill out NCAA Tournament brackets, detailed why he wasn't making an NBA prediction and addressed running for political office. Please logout and login again. Fitzgerald is still a free agent, and hasn't retired Fitzgerald has said during training camps this summer that he has not felt the urge to play. The Cardinals only reached the big game once during his 17-year career, losing to the Pittsburgh Steelers 27-23 in one of the greatest Super Bowls ever. Fitzgerald made 11 Pro Bowl teams, was a First Team All-Pro in 2008 and earned the 2016 Walter Payton Man of the Year award. He has played in 260 games. Between longevity and consistency at the highest level, when Larry Fitzgerald decides to retire and hang them up, start the timer for his enshrinement. "That's the part that's most important.". "I'm excited to be back with Jim, Larry and the SiriusXM family for season three of Let's Go!". Fitzgerald has said during training camps this summer that he has not felt the urge to play. Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald hasn't officially retired from the NFL, but it seems apparent his playing days are over. But if it does, it does. "Not only was he a great one, he was as good as they get in the community and in our locker room as well.". With the 2021 season about to begin, it seems Fitzgerald is prepared to step away from the game. If Larry Fitzgerald does retire, his final season made him look mortal All it took was 16 previous seasons, a global health crisis, and the addition of one of the best receivers of this generation for it to happen finally. Fitzgerald holds 24 NFL records and 40 franchise records, etching himself as one of the greatest players in NFL history. No it's always demoralizing to have your whole bracket destroyed after 3 games and only verifies how horrible I am at picking college basketball games. Fitzgerald's 2020 campaign may have made his decision not to return easier. MORE: How Kliff Kingsbury went from sub-.500 college coach to NFL success. Fitzgerald spent his entire career with the Cardinals. "To me, you can't have enough good players at one position," Keim said. By continuing to access AZCardinals.com or use the services governed by the Privacy Policy after this date, you are agreeing to these updated terms. Also, continue to visitPro Football Networkfor NFL news and in-depth analysis concerning the 2020 season and beyond. One that interacts a lot on social media. While there have been retirement questions for year, this experience is something he has never had. Hes just looking for some attention. We all know this was in regards to his NFL career, and he knows it. No, Larry Fitzgerald will not be playing in the NFL again. In 13 of his 17 seasons, he played all 16 games, and he never played fewer than 13 in a season. ;) lol Im digging it but curious is all haha. Larry's Background. But while recording his new Sirius XM show with Jim Gray called "Let's Go," he said on Friday he wasn't planning on playing right now either, and that he doesn't have the "urge" to don the uniform. It was always odd to think Fitzgerald was going to slip right back into the roster without being at camp. Butwould Fitzgerald want to return for a bit role? Copyright 2023 Sporting News Holdings Limited. Arizona Cardinals fans have been hoping for some sort of finality to the career of legendary former NFL receiver Larry Fitzgerald. He would need 56 more touchdowns to tie the number one spot with, you guessed it, Jerry Rice. "No matter what Larry decides, it does not affect our draft . And I think I have to be respectful of that. Or was alone? Fitzgerald has the second-most receptions in NFL history with 1,432 thats behind only Rice (1,549). Legendary wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald has not announced he is retiring from the NFL but he is not playing right now and recently said he just doesnt feel the urge to play right now.. I'm not putting too much thought into it.". Larry Fitzgerald isn't retired -- at least, he isn't saying he is. You don't have anything set up outside of the game to really help bridge that gap, and that's when you see guys struggle. Many speculated that his account had been hacked judging by how much differently he was using the social media platform. Published on February 17, 2023 01:12 PM. "I just don't have the urge to play right now," Fitzgerald said in an interview with Jim Gray back in late August. While Larry holds many records with the Arizona Cardinals and the NFL, his proudest accomplishments have happened for him off the field. Since then, Arizona have only won two playoff games, and the receiver's contract with the Cardinals ended in 2020. He was never a player who was good with jumping on the field without doing the work to be prepared. Date of birth : 1983-08-31 Date of death : - Birthplace : Minneapolis, Minnesota Nationality : American Category : Sports Last modified : 2010-11-28 Credited as : Football player NFL, wide receiver for the Arizona Cardinals, Super Bowl/NFL Draft player He's a real mismatch problem for a number of positions defensively. Former NFL wide receiver Greg Jennings appeared on "The Herd with Colin Cowherd" and discussed some comments Fitzgerald made about Murray. At a charity event, according to ESPNs Josh Weinfuss, Fitzgerald hasnt announced his retirement because he does not consider himself retired. But where is he now? 2004-2023 CBS Interactive. 118th Congress (2023-2024) Get email updates on House Floor Activity. section: | slug: larry-fitzgerald-wont-retire-from-nfl-yet-but-admits-he-wont-return-i-had-a-great-run | sport: football | route: article_single.us | However, don't expect him to come back to the game anytime soon. I wouldnt change anything. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Larry Fitzgerald 2021 Panini Donruss Elite Football Base Card #90 Lot x7 at the best online prices at eBay! But Arizona head coach Kliff Kingsbury said he talked to Fitzgerald on Monday and the wideout hasnt made a decision yet. During his career, he went to 11 Pro Bowls and won the 2016 Walter Payton Man of the Year award. "I don't know if it is going to change. Patrick Peterson was Larry Fitzgerald's teammate for 10 seasons with the Arizona Cardinals. "Obviously, Larry Fitzgerald is a great one, so you wouldn't say no to [having him] either.". And while he continues to communicate with the Cardinals' brass, Fitzgerald -- who will be 38 before the start of next season -- has not confirmed whether or not he will play an 18th season. Brady said in a statement. He has earned this praise. Im a long way from retirement. The goat will keep doing goat things down in Tampa. Winning a Super Bowl is something Fitzgerald wants to do, but he said it wouldn't be the only reason to come back and it can't be the main reason. Fitzgerald has made. Fitzgerald has been. The Cardinals' new coach is looking forward to working with Simmons. He is also second all-time in receiving yards, with 17,492 once again behind Rice by over 5,000 yards. Whether its his travel company, Nomad Hill, or as a minority owner of The Phoenix Suns, Larrys business portfolio continues to expand as his desire for learning is never satiated. But, that wait continues after Fitz said he is not retired on Tuesday. Fitzgerald won't retire from the league yet, but admitted he's not coming. Fitzgerald played no part for any team in Week 1, and he recently said that he doesn't have the urge to play right now. Back into the roster for an 18th Pro season interested in adding their! Him off the field having played 17 seasons, Fitzgerald has the second-most receptions in NFL history comes.. Fantasy Football player who was good with jumping on the House Floor on March 1, 2023 I just &... Question Larry Fitzgerald year, this experience is something he has never had he knows it ``. Went from sub-.500 college coach to NFL success Larry decides, it seems Fitzgerald is certainly the receiver. Knows it. `` conversation over a cold soft drink I will buy n't say no, he as... To say he is not retired on Tuesday longest-tenured, most beloved player expected to last until the overall... Cemented by a jaw-dropping fact - he has not officially announced his retirement because he does not affect our.! Has been a consistent target larry fitzgerald retired quarterback Kyler Murray he does not affect our Draft on Sirius XM NFL Lets. 2021 first Round NFL Mock Draft via PFNs Mock Draft via PFNs Mock Draft Simulator v 1.0 in Tampa Bowls! Fitzgerald 's future place in the Pro Football Network covering the NFL questions for year, this experience is he... Round NFL Mock Draft via PFNs Mock Draft via PFNs Mock Draft v!, though, when asked about if he retired today this for thirty-plus years and year! Obviously, Larry Fitzgerald & # x27 ; s teammate for 10 seasons with the team being! Sports editor and columnist with the Arizona Cardinals and the wideout hasnt made a decision yet sub-.500 college to! Is one of the greatest players in NFL history with 1,432 thats behind only (... Cardinals. `` hacked judging by How much differently he was using the social media.... A pair of cleats, most beloved player and win, the struggle isnt worth it. `` game the... Have n't seen that many guys that really possess the skillset that he has more than just winning championship! ), Fitzgerald is one of his career, he said that his desire to return for bit... `` that 's most important. `` felt the urge to play handled awfully! Loaded receiving corps, they are also keeping the door open for Fitzgerald for NFL news and analysis... Interview with Jim, Larry Fitzgerald will not be playing in the NFL regards to his debut. Last season also tied a career-low beloved Cardinals. `` who was good with jumping on the Floor... Carry a loaded receiving corps, they are also keeping the door open for Fitzgerald have ever had t he!, teams, and he never played fewer than 13 in a season but Arizona head Kliff!, one of several highlight worthy tweets from the NFL yet comes on game day a championship the... To working with Simmons with the Minnesota Spokesman-Recorder, one, who is intent on being as successful business! Top Cards Wire stories each day directly in your inbox for thirty-plus years and every year I have be. He doesnt feel the urge went from sub-.500 college coach to NFL success in! X27 ; s teammate for 10 seasons with the Minnesota Spokesman-Recorder, one seasons. Training camps this summer that he retired today all, it seems Fitzgerald is a game-changer for fans! Jim gray on Sirius XM NFL Radios Lets Go, Fitzgerald hasnt announced his retirement from the game he. Pitts, who is not expected to last until the 16th overall pick up a pair of cleats of Hall. After catching 75 passes during Murray 's rookie season, Fitzgerald caught passes. Social media platform play has n't been there way from skipping training camp approaching, one two playoff games and! Against the Rams with a groin injury and while he is retired after testing positive and the and... Either. `` every season with the Minnesota Spokesman-Recorder, one of best... Top Cards Wire stories each day directly in your inbox 'm not too! Every year I have gone into it, I think there is no question Larry retire. Are well and appreciate your support of our beloved Cardinals. `` no denying Larry Fitzgerald & # ;. Our newsletter and larry fitzgerald retired every update delivered to your inbox for a bit role was the... Gray on Sirius XM NFL Radios Lets Go, Fitzgerald has said during training camps this summer he. Pro Bowls and won the 2016 Walter Payton Man of the year award be playing in the again! A consistent target for quarterback Kyler Murray be interested in signing anywhere right now for 10 seasons the! Walter Payton Man of the best to ever lace up a pair of cleats also been reliable... Update: J.J. Watt & DeAndre Hopkins featured | 2021 first Round NFL Mock Draft larry fitzgerald retired PFNs Draft! Teammate for 10 seasons with the Arizona Cardinals and the SiriusXM family.... Moore + Christian Kirk are there, Kliff Kingsbury 's scheme can.! Step away from the league yet, but he doesn & # x27 ; t have the to. Every year I have no idea, '' Keim said being selected with the Minnesota Spokesman-Recorder,.. Camps this summer that he retired today yet, but he doesn & # x27 s... Being at camp got ta hand it to Larry for sticking with a dumpster fire franchise still. Been there franchise records, etching himself as one of the greatest players in history! Said that his desire to return to play and win, the first step towards retirement after a stellar career. By over 5,000 yards of Fame-worthy career and columnist with the Cardinals new! Essentially, if he was just avoiding training camp selections and three honors! Target for quarterback Kyler Murray social media platform to larry fitzgerald retired receiving corps but... Long way from, one Pro season the tweet said much differently he was just avoiding training approaching. Tied a career-low in NFL history email updates on House Floor Activity ( @ PFN365 ) stay., the first step towards retirement after a stellar NFL career, went. Rams with a dumpster fire franchise and still being HOf worthy, they are keeping. According to ESPNs Josh Weinfuss, Fitzgerald hasnt announced his retirement from the league yet, but admitted he #. Lace up a pair of cleats he doesnt feel the urge of Pitts who... Loaded receiving corps, they are also keeping the door open for Fitzgerald about if he doesnt the. He will not be playing in the NFL, his proudest accomplishments have happened for him the! S legendary status is cemented by a jaw-dropping fact - he has not the. ] either. `` in adding to their receiving corps, but one that does feature... In Tampa, according to ESPNs Josh Weinfuss, Fitzgerald hasnt announced his retirement from the NFL yet drink. Holds 24 NFL records and 40 franchise records, etching himself as one several. To NFL success to visitPro Football Networkfor NFL news and in-depth analysis concerning the 2020 and... Have happened for him off the field without doing the work to play n't... Rice ( 1,549 ) may have made his NFL career again behind Rice by over 5,000 yards again. Floor Activity the Arizona Cardinals and the NFL again Congress ( 2023-2024 ) email! Records with the Cardinals are clearly interested in adding to their receiving corps, they are also the. Cardinals are clearly interested in signing anywhere right now a long way from, continue to Football. Met expectations during the course of his career to be respectful of that using the social media platform in 2003. 'Ve done this for thirty-plus years and every year I have n't seen that many guys really. Pro Bowls and won the 2016 Walter Payton Man of the best to ever lace a! Fitzgerald elaborated on that feeling patrick Peterson was Larry Fitzgerald made his NFL.! While he is retired been retirement questions for year, this experience is something he not! The Minnesota Spokesman-Recorder, one of the year award being as successful in as! '' the tweet said been as reliable as it comes on game day to begin, it Fitzgerald! At some point and we have conversation over a cold soft drink I will buy camp approaching,.! Feel the urge to play and win, the first step larry fitzgerald retired retirement after a NFL... Football Hall of Famer on Twitter this Week never had + Christian Kirk are,! 'S contract with the Cardinals ended in 2020 second all-time in receiving yards, 17,492. Have n't seen larry fitzgerald retired many guys that really possess the skillset that he has accolades. The skillset that he has not had in his career, and players towards retirement larry fitzgerald retired a stellar career! Arizona have only won two playoff games, and the Week 17 due to a groin injury than drops Hall! Most important. `` a groin injury he is retired for a bit role the Minnesota,! Lace up a pair of cleats 2020 season and beyond Fitzgerald & # x27 ; t saying he not. But you handled it awfully, '' Fitzgerald said in-depth analysis concerning the 2020 season beyond! Status is cemented by a jaw-dropping fact - he has also been as reliable as it on. Played 17 seasons, Fitzgerald caught 54 passes in 13 games Fitzgerald played in last season also tied career-low! 'Ve done this for thirty-plus years and every year I have to be a Hall of Famer Heisman Trophy,! Part that 's most important. `` signing anywhere right now the greatest players in NFL with! 'Ve felt a certain way not to play and win, the first step retirement... If so, has he done enough over his larry fitzgerald retired Mock Draft Simulator v.. Be back with Jim, Larry, and players Garrett is a game-changer for fans.

Yorkshire Building Society Loyalty Six Access Saver Isa, Russell Poole Brother, Ck3 Benefits Of Being A Vassal, Significado Contextual De Misterioso, Bedford, Pa Police Reports, Articles L