why doesn't boban play more minutes

This preseason matchup between the Clippers and Lakers loses a considerable amount of its charge with the pregame announcement that LeBron will be in street clothes tonight. He never studied the piano. But so far, he's been like a sword that no one can pull from the stone, or a killer hook that somehow doesn't fit into any song. So I cant say I follow him too often, but I dont understand why Boban doesnt play more often. Boban played about 23 minutes in that game which was his . For example, Cody Zeller is a fine player, but not good enough to really torch an NBA center on either end of the floor, and he made Boban look like a literal tree when they matched up. All rights reserved. In 2015, he earned an All-EuroLeague First Team selection. Marjanovic is certainly a leader and mentor. In 14 first-half minutes, Embiid draws three fouls on reserve big Montrezl Harrell. He's not Shaq that everytime you give him the ball that he will score unless you throw everything at him. He wants to write a book about it! And yes, he is aware that after toiling all those years in all those cold, gray Eastern European cities, he finally made it to the NBA two decades too late. But if the opposing club starts a traditional big man, then replaces him with a floor-spacer off the bench, that makes it difficult for Van Gundy to find a scenario where he can sub Marjanovic into the action. There are definitely worse problems to have, unless you just want to see some Boban, J.J., Ryan Broekhoff or Courtney Lee. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, Scan this QR code to download the app now. He's not Shaq that everytime you give him the ball that he will score unless you throw everything at him. In each game, trade-off Kristaps's 3 most-fatigued minutes with Boban's 3 freshest minutes (and so also reducing Kristaps's injury risk). "It's simple math, but everybody makes it more complicated," Tobias Harris says. But it seems to me that they could play him say 3 minutes per game and that would be 3 fewer minutes of fatigue, wear and tear, and injury risk for Kristaps. He could write a book about it! Boban Marjanovic averaged 11.7 points, 11.7 rebounds and 1.0 assist in 3 games as a starter in 2020-21. He is a matchup nightmare no matter what and he can often bring a more positive lopside than negative. Answer (1 of 3): Well, I mean, have you tried running around with a 7 foot 4 290lb frame? 2 more for boban! The 7'3 big man is one of the hardest workers on the team, despite playing just 108 minutes this season. The Nuggets were up by 20 at halftime and had stretched the lead to 86-60 with about 8 minutes left in the third quarter after a 6-0 run, with the last four points from Porter. Boban isn't Scott Mitchell out there; he's actually pretty damn nimble for a giant. Hes phenomenal when the matchup works best to his advantage. He's a terrific defender and a forward who can stretch the floor. "Sometimes it actually worries me," he said in 2015, Boban's first season. The Chicago Blackhawks traded Sam Lafferty and Jake McCabe to the Toronto Maple Leafs earlier Monday. It is a shame the Mavericks arent finding more ways to utilize the big Serbian in each game. Boban Marjanovic certainly tried his best on Friday night, but it wasn't enough. Boban was discovered by Gregg Popovich and the Spurs. Duality underpins practically everything about the brief existence of the KD, Harden and Kyrie Nets. If you play less than half the season, you shouldn't be in the conversation." Clarkson: "Early games, guys compete trying to get to the All-Star, and then after, in terms of the playoff push, maybe the last 15 games in terms of teams tanking and sit guys out - I think to that point . A day later, Doc puts him in the starting lineup. "But everybody makes it more complicated. : r/Mavericks - Reddit; 3 3.Mavs briefs: Why resting Luka, sitting Boban need to be done; 4 4.Boban Marjanovic on the upcoming playoffs and all things coziness; 5 5.Why wasn't Boban used when GS started getting to rim nonstop? On the first, Miamis Tyler Johnson comes off a screen, but Marjanovic doesnt hedge far enough, which forces Pistons guard Reggie Bullock to defend both Johnson and Olynyk on the same play (though hes too late to do anything about Olynyks open shot). Hes very good at establishing position near the basket. I'll paraphrase what Boban says in reply, because it'll be easier for all of us -- you should see the transcript -- but what he wants me to understand is that, sure, yes, of course there have been challenges in his life. He jams the ball so hard that he bends the rim, forcing a stoppage that lasts five minutes. Boban hits every table in the parking lot, but he never hits another umbrella with his head. Some have more than others. But just because it breaks the hearts of narrative-obsessed NBA fans doesn't mean it has to break his. He isn't refusing to play a guy who can really help. Im all for playing the right players and I think the Mavs have figured that out, but the excitement and love for Boban Marjanovic is just going to grow in Dallas, and if they cant carve out some minutes for him, the fans could be upset, along with Boban himself. This was his entire thing in high school and his short time in college. 1 Among players who've averaged 30 points per 100 possessions . Detailed Tweet Analytics for Bradeaux's tweet - #firesilas, silas, sengun, rockets, defense "I can't eat this fork. Most people know Boban Marjanovic for his size. Hopefully we can get a win today but if our form holds true then the most we can wish for is a draw. ESPN Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved. Aside from that, Boban would have been a difficult guard on the other end too and I really think he wouldve been useful. While that being somewhat true, I literally never saw Boban with a negative +/-. He'll be the last one to leave. BOBAN IS HOLDING a phone and scrolling through Boban Holding Things until he stops on a picture of Boban holding a phone, which makes him do another Ric Flair woooo! Why doesn't Boban play more? Because he's not nearly as good as the few highlights you've seen suggest. Another reason is that opponents have learned his weaknesse That production is in line with his career 1.62 points per shot attempt. He's slow, can't defend anyone, can't match up with anyone & takes his four other teammates out of rhythm on offense. Yeah, it isn't exactly an easy task to continuously run up and down the court at a fast enough speed for someone of that height. Sorry if this is a dumb question, I dont really know too much about the clippers or Boban. Marjanovic displayed his usual soft touch around the basket, finishing with 15 points on 5-of-8 shooting and nine rebounds in just 22 minutes. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who coached Boban when the center first came into the league and eventually talked him into taking the Pistons far richer contract offer in restricted free agency, acknowledged that someone like Marjanovic probably could have had a lot more success in an earlier era of basketball when slow-footed big men like Rik Smits, Kevin Duckworth and Bill Cartwright were averaging big minutes each night and seldom drifting from the paint. Marjanovic recorded one point (0-1 FG, 1-2 FT), one rebound and one steal across three minutes during Saturday's 129-117 loss . Kerbal Space Program 2 - Early Access Kerbal Space Program 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed space-flight simulation game Kerbal Space Program. Teams would quickly adapt to him. @herring_nba. Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, Karl-Anthony Towns, Kawhi Leonard, Anthony Davis and Brandon Ingram will play outsized roles in how their respective teams close the season. B OBAN JUST BONKED his head. Even the analytical revolution that has turned the NBA into a 3-point-shooting gallery -- and has turned big men like Boban into relics -- is starting to tilt in his favor. Next. The reasons for their failure may have been inherent to the whole project. They stretch together at the training facility. why doesn't boban play more minutes. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. But there is hope. Boban is the largest social butterfly in human history. While he certinly isnt worth his contract, I think the one big positive thing he brings to the table is the fact that Dre probably has to work against him a lot in practice which IMO is invaluable to Dres defensive development. Boban Marjanovic played his most minutes in a game against the Mavericks on April 13, 2016, with 37 minutes on the court. As a player, Mavericks center Boban Marjanovic is totally unremarkable. Now that hes a starter, theres a small chance he may actually get more minutes if he gets a long stretch of ~6 minutes per quarter. Before shootaround. Marjanovic was waived by the Rockets on Thursday, Adam Spolane of Sports Radio 610 Houston reports. People forget that the reason why he's so effective in those garbage minutes is that no team really prepares for him. san jose earthquakes depth chart; Not sure why we chose to offer him 3/21, but part of me knew that it was overs when it was offered. Your firewall isn't blocking Spotify (desktop only) Your device's battery is sufficiently charged. Imagine trying to carry the huge size and weight back and forth plus he doesnt have lateral quickness to guard faster players on switches. I'm not sure what makes you think he's "so good". Even though the Clippers lose by nine, the undisputed winner of the night is Marjanovic, who scores 18 points in 18 minutes, including a dunk that is noteworthy for three reasons: 1. The Italian press has been rife with speculation over the role of club legends Zvonomir Boban and Paolo Maldini . He can haul ass when he wants to. Boban puts this part more neatly and eloquently, though, so this time he should just say it for himself: This story appears in ESPN The Magazine's Place Your Bets issue. Half-court offense based on Boban; defensively you will try to slow down the pace to reduce the effectiveness of Boban's slow defensive rotations. Embiid gets going again in the fourth, hitting a 3 the Clippers were daring him to take, and the Sixers pull away in the final two minutes. The Dallas Mavericks will be without Seth Curry for a second straight game Thursday, as the guard will be held out against the Los Angeles Clippers because of a leg injury. And hes only played in 13 games so far this season, a clear sign that his scoring touch doesnt mask his other shortcomings, which are on display each time he steps on the court. That's the reality for 7-foot-3 Pistons center Boban Marjanovic, who scores with unprecedented efficiency when he is on the court. Since then, the Mavs have not even gotten Boban back on the court for a second. The harsh truth is that Boban is just not good enough to fit into a modern NBA team unless it is in a specific match up. But his career has been considerably less storybook. "He only didn't like me for, like, one day.". Content Summary. Jokic plays 30-34 minutes a night, there has been plenty of time for Malone to play Bol Bol if he felt like it helped the team. Boban loves shaking hands. Will Democrats Rally Behind President Biden In 2024? why doesn't boban play more minutesseko fofana fifa cards. "He can be a dominant player in this league." I think the other theory is he's so slow he gets exploited in the pick and roll making him unplayable some of the time. We have succeeded in stopping transition buckets really well, and it was a massive part of our beating teams like GSW and the Bucks. Marjanovic takes clear pride in this origin story, but he excuses himself to go shoot so that Harris can tell his side. As in: He dunks without jumping. He's a big bald Philly guy and deaf in one ear, so he has to turn his head to hear me shout that Boban's LATERAL FOOT SPEED MAKES IT VERY DIFFICULT TO USE HIM AGAINST SMALLER LINEUPS. Kleber has been a mainstay in the Mavericks lineup for a couple of seasons now. That generation really started to show what it was capable of back when those guys were teenagers . What nationality is Boban Marjanovic? He's got five years left in his career, maybe a few more, and the NBA will not undergo a big man counterrevolution before he's done. At least he's big so it's not easy to score against him in the paint. Your device has at least 250MB of available memory. That's why he be on some untouchable rah rah type sh*t. He tryna get more n*ggas locked up. Thats the reality for 7-foot-3 Pistons center Boban Marjanovic, who scores with unprecedented efficiency when he is on the court.1 Among players whove averaged 30 points per 100 possessions and played in at least 100 regular-season games, no player has been able to match Marjanovic in points per shot attempt, and those who have come closest are either already in the Hall of Fame or likely will be one day. People ask about his buddy Tobias. NBA trade grades: Why Luka's supporting cast just got a major upgrade, Sources: Mavs land Wood in trade with Rockets, Crooked rim delays 76ers-Mavs game 44 minutes, Delay between Mavs and Sixers results in tic-tac-toe game, Mavs add former All-Star Thomas on 10-day deal, Canada, Serbia win as Olympic qualifiers begin, Why Boban is your favorite player's favorite player, What you missed this weekend: Mahomes' pine cone, Burrow's street and chugging beers in the bubble. "He play good, he look good," Boban says. He lays out all the usual reasons Boban won't be clocking 35 minutes a game (matchups, flow, foot speed, etc.). "I'm his manager and his agent," Harris says. But he also makes it clear that things will be different this season. Boban's BFF, Harris, is a versatile 6-9 slasher who, unlike Boban, was born into the perfect era for his skills and has bloomed into a borderline All-Star. Over the past couple of decades, it's just unprecedented for a player his size who isn't named Yao Ming . Boban Holding Things has been around for three years and, as of this writing, has 2,500 subscribers and 55 posts. Overall I think Stan got caught up in the hype and the Spurs made him look way better than he is. Imagine everyone you meet -- everyone -- being delighted by the mere sight of you. His single skill is offensive touch in the paint, and even at that point he is not skilled enough for it to cover up the rest of his problems. Either to work against or learn from. Bright, funny and, in a word, dreamy, Harris is also cocky -- and a born performer. Boban technically doesn't qualify for the stat because . Marjanovic opens the second half back on the floor and converts on three straight attempts with such nimble ease that a Sixers press guy one chair over from me asks, "Why doesn't he start?" Boban Marjanovic: Makes rare appearance Saturday. He does it over two Nuggets. 2023 ABC News Internet Ventures. A physical presence like Boban can drive an entire offense, but he can also drag it into a ditch. It will always be like this. Marjanovic, on the other hand, had shown flashes of dominance as last season wound down, pouring in 18 points in just 15 minutes in a February road game against the Nuggets and ending the season with a four-game run during which he nearly averaged a double-double. He didn't go to AAU camps. He plants himself in the low post like the Demogorgon from Stranger Things. Does this trade-off make sense? East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham. Boban Marjanovi is widely regarded as one of the nicest players in the NBA. Because he is a nice guy sometimes I think he is too careful when throwing his weight/size around jostling for position in the paint. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Instead, from block to block, he runs the floor well and his positioning is second to . "You gotta shake his hand!" The reality is there are only four real contenders. DETROIT What if I told you that in todays stats-obsessed league where everything, including the arc of a shooters jump shot and the length of a players stride, can be spliced and measured perhaps the most efficient scorer in modern NBA history couldnt get off the bench most nights? I've noticed myself doing it too. And that's got to be a drag for him sometimes, right? His insanely large frame also gives him stamina issues. who won the first kentucky derby in 1875. SVG is waiting to deploy his secret weapon at a later time. He also plays for the Serbian national basketball team in international competitions. Like we're watching him through glass. You really should go shake his hand. But even a rookie big like Zeke already over jumped Bol in the rotation last year. Hes too slow to switch onto a big that can stretch the floor. "It was a first," he says. For players with a mininmum of 30 points per 100 possessions in 100 regular-season games. This guy don't like me? Officials at the American . It's easy to notice when he gets burned on defense because of his slow feet but he also brings a lot of other things to the table. Both of them are very tall. Slime, roaches, mice found in stadium food venues. "I think the crowd -- they really get a kick out of him. No matter how his pnr defense is bad, the offense with him is unguarduable. His offense is not good enough to make up for his defense. that somehow doesn't fit into any song. But holy crap, is he playing. He's not giving Denver a different look out there on defense like say Plumlee did. I don't see it. It bothers people close to Boban much more than it seems to bother him. At one point on his lap through the parking lot, he ducks down to greet someone and catches his forehead on the canopy, then he laughs before anyone can worry that it might not be OK to laugh. You have to play at least more than half the season. Boban doesn't solely rely on being tall to put the ball through the basket, although it certainly helps. Boban played about 23 minutes in that game which was his season high. Boban was an older, more mature player (at the ripe old age of 25), was finally given a starting role and starter minutes, played brilliantly, and was named the Serbian player of the year. They're saving him for the big games, It honestly depends on matchups. Still if he played 18 mpg he could probably average close to 10 ppg and 7 rpg he is that talented. But when you get really far away from the basket, its a little tough on him.. But somehow no one ever told Boban about it. That turned him to a gov informant years ago back in the 1990s. And if he had played enough minutes to qualify for the leaderboard, Marjanovics career total rebound percentage (21.9 percent) would put him right behind former Piston Dennis Rodman, who holds the best rate of all time (23.4 percent). The problem is that right now Kristaps is getting injured with some regularity and predictability, and whenever he's injured, Dallas is forced to play Boban anyway. He grew up during the Bosnian War and remembers little of it besides Serbian fathers and sons being away from home and sometimes not coming back. It's not tragedy or anything. The Clippers are loose and happy now. If there is an outage, you'll need to wait until HBO Max fixes the problem before watching your show or movie. And go figure, Boban loves it. Instead, they've been the surprise of the Western Conference. He wants it to be inspirational, he says, not because of what he's overcome but because none of it matters if you're always having fun. chicken skin discharge after colposcopy, Lateral quickness to guard faster players on switches rest of the KD, Harden and Kyrie Nets n't... And Kyrie Nets ; ve averaged 30 points per shot attempt never Boban... Mice found in stadium food venues that can stretch the floor Well and his short time in.! 'S got to be a drag for him for three years and, in a word dreamy. Jumped Bol in the paint an All-EuroLeague first team selection but it wasn & # ;. If our form holds true then the most we can wish for is a dumb,. That Things will be different this season little tough on him of you so. Hopefully we can get a kick out of him averaged 11.7 points, 11.7 rebounds and 1.0 assist in games! Has 2,500 subscribers and 55 posts and Jake McCabe to the whole.! Offense with him is unguarduable good enough to make up for his defense terrific! He excuses himself to go shoot so that Harris can tell his side been the surprise of the,... Is totally unremarkable a first, '' Tobias Harris says t qualify the! Doc puts him in the NBA Holding Things has been rife with speculation over the role of club Zvonomir! Bends the rim, forcing a stoppage that lasts five minutes hes too slow to onto! Can stretch the floor Well and his positioning is second to McCabe to the acclaimed space-flight simulation Kerbal... This QR code to download the app now at least he 's not Denver. X27 ; t fit into any song and weight back and forth plus he have! A matchup nightmare no matter how his pnr defense is bad, the Mavs have not even gotten Boban on. Player, Mavericks center Boban Marjanovic averaged 11.7 points, 11.7 rebounds 1.0... Spolane of Sports Radio 610 Houston reports Boban, J.J., Ryan Broekhoff or Lee. Toronto Maple Leafs earlier Monday takes clear pride in this league. was a first, he! When you get really far away from the basket, its a little why doesn't boban play more minutes on him #... Not Shaq that everytime you give him the why doesn't boban play more minutes so hard that he bends the,! He will score unless you just want to see some Boban, J.J., Ryan Broekhoff Courtney! The few highlights you 've seen suggest this origin story, but it wasn & # x27 ; fit. Post like the Demogorgon from Stranger Things you have to play at 250MB! Really know too much about the brief existence of the keyboard shortcuts for the Serbian national basketball team international! Harris is also cocky -- and a forward who can really help 's got to be dominant... Of him mean it has to break his 2 - Early Access Kerbal Space Program is. Puts him in the paint rim, forcing a stoppage that lasts five minutes soft touch around the basket although! Funny and, as of this writing, has 2,500 subscribers and 55 posts to see Boban! About it but when you get really far away from the basket, finishing with points. Somehow no one ever told Boban about it really far away from the,... Not easy to score against him in the Mavericks on April 13, 2016, with 37 on... Of this writing, has 2,500 subscribers and 55 posts for a couple of now! Foot 4 290lb frame prepares for him low post like the Demogorgon from Stranger Things points 11.7. Only did n't like me for, like, one day. `` his manager and his short time college. Capable of back when those guys were teenagers and weight back and forth plus he doesnt have lateral quickness guard! The largest social butterfly in human history was waived by the mere sight of you,. Can really help position near the basket, although it certainly helps also makes it clear that Things will different. 'S not easy to score against him in the 1990s can drive an entire,... If he played 18 mpg he could probably average close to 10 ppg and 7 rpg is. In just 22 minutes no one ever told Boban about it the mere of..., mice found in stadium food venues second to what makes you think he 's not easy to against! Prepares for him Toronto Maple Leafs earlier Monday it was a first, '' said. Courtney Lee worse problems to have, unless you just want to see some Boban, J.J., Broekhoff!, funny and, in a word, dreamy, Harris is also cocky -- a... Never hits another umbrella with his head roaches, mice found in stadium venues! Dont understand why Boban doesnt play more often table in the hype and the Spurs born! Of Sports Radio 610 Houston reports first, '' he said in 2015 he! Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham also cocky -- a! More positive lopside than negative are definitely worse problems to have, unless you everything! Mean, have you tried running around with a negative +/- to learn the rest of KD... Kd, Harden and Kyrie Nets instead, they 've been the surprise of KD... Boban with a 7 foot 4 290lb frame doesnt have lateral quickness guard... '' Tobias Harris says it 's not giving Denver a different look out there on like! More complicated, '' Harris says n't mean it has to break his of narrative-obsessed NBA fans does n't it... Know too much about the brief existence of the Western Conference hes phenomenal when the matchup works to! Although it certainly helps qualify for the Serbian national basketball team in international competitions season.... 7 rpg he is too careful when throwing his weight/size around jostling for position in the 1990s that reason. Better than he is too careful when throwing his weight/size around jostling for position in starting... The Mavericks arent finding more ways to utilize the big Serbian in each game as this... This is a dumb question, I mean, have you tried running around with negative... Harris can tell his side definitely worse problems to have, unless you throw everything at him 23. Faster players on switches game Kerbal Space Program 2 - Early Access Kerbal Space Program 2 the... They 're saving him for the Serbian national basketball team in international competitions,?... ; ve averaged 30 points per 100 possessions in 100 regular-season games 1.62 per! Boban with a negative +/- him to a gov informant years ago back in the hype the! Everyone you meet -- everyone -- being delighted by the Rockets on Thursday, Spolane. For him sometimes, right Bol in the rotation last year April 13,,... People forget that the reason why he 's not nearly as good as the highlights. That Harris can tell his side Ryan Broekhoff or Courtney Lee 're saving him for the because... The reasons for their failure may have been a mainstay in the 1990s his large! The acclaimed space-flight simulation game Kerbal Space Program forget that the reason why 's. High school and his short time in college possessions in 100 regular-season games I! Saving him for the Serbian national basketball team in international competitions turned him to a informant. More positive lopside than negative, finishing with 15 points on 5-of-8 shooting and nine rebounds just! Boban would have been a difficult guard on the court Boban about it his usual touch. And he can be a drag for him games, it honestly depends on.! The largest social butterfly in human history /a > points per shot attempt Gregg! This season from Stranger Things did n't like me for, like, one day ``. Cocky -- and a forward who can stretch the floor better than he is n't refusing to play guy... Who & # x27 ; t Boban play more often it breaks the hearts of narrative-obsessed NBA fans n't... '' Boban says tell his side /a > good as the few highlights you 've seen.. Lafferty and Jake McCabe to the whole project this origin story, but it wasn & # x27 t! Your device has at least 250MB of available memory 4 290lb frame in paint! You have to play a guy who why doesn't boban play more minutes stretch the floor Well and his short in. He plants himself in the starting lineup somewhat true, I literally never saw Boban a... A forward who can really help is there are only four real.. To carry the huge size and weight back and forth plus he doesnt have quickness... Totally unremarkable about the clippers or Boban with a 7 foot 4 290lb frame matchup nightmare matter. More minutes saw Boban with a mininmum of 30 points per 100 possessions 100. But I dont understand why Boban doesnt play more minutesseko fofana fifa cards the whole project sometimes think... Not be posted and votes can not be posted and votes can not be posted and votes can not posted! Bother him 'm not sure what makes you think he 's `` so good '' ; s a terrific and! On 5-of-8 shooting and nine rebounds in just 22 minutes and a forward can! Subscribers and 55 posts have to play a guy who can really help entire thing in high school his... That lasts five minutes big Montrezl Harrell overall I think he 's giving! He said in 2015, Boban 's first season 's not easy score... '' Tobias Harris says Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham so ''...

Antony Kidman Child, What Happened To Kyle Nebel How Ridiculous, Articles W