You'll love this 3-step recipe and it's ready in less than 20-minutes! If you can't get to Middendorf's in Louisiana, then this thin fried catfish recipe is the next best thing! Stir it and let it sit for a few minutes at room temperature. more, You seem to have JavaScript disabled. It's hard to find anyplace more consistent, including in its bothersome qualities (the long wait for a table, for example). Drain catfish. Understand, I've been reading about this place for years and years, well before the current owners took the reins, so there is cause for concern about building a pyramid up in one's mind. After Louis lost his job in the 1929 stock market crash, he and Josie moved to the tiny fishing village of Manchac where Josies mother and brothers lived. ), The first batch always turns out lighter than the others because the oil is fresh. I asked that, the non-gluten requirement be noted on the kitchen order, and, she stated, she would so note. I don't really like catfish but I do like all of the Middendorf versions of it. At the time of the Pulitzer Prize honor, the newspaper described her as a young well-spoken Metairie housewife and mother. StarChefs217 Havemeyer St., Floor 3Brooklyn, NY 11211 1995-2023 StarChefs Inc. All Rights Reserved. The thin fried catfish is a signature dish at Middendorf's Restaurant, which dates to 1934. Remove catfish from oil and let drain on paper towels. In Oktober, our Oktoberfest celebration kicks off with authentic German dishes, also prepared by Chef Horst Pfeifer who grew up in Germany. Now you have buttermilk! Our goal is to have you leave with a full belly and the memory of a great time. calendar.gambitweekly.com. Another thing that the kids really enjoy is going to the Louisiana Childrens Discovery Center, located in downtown Hammond, and working or eating at the mini Middendorfs. Worth the drive! Highly recommended! I recommend using a cast-iron skillet or a tall stock pot or Dutch oven so when you flip the catfish fillet, it doesn't splatter all over. Required fields are marked *. Here at Middendorfs, we are committed to providing a place for our guests that we would want to visit with our families too. I was disappointed and wish I had gotten the thick one. 51 at Pass Manchac (Exit 15 off I-55), (985) 386-6666 . Middendorf's: Amazing Catfish - See 564 traveller reviews, 220 candid photos, and great deals for Akers, LA, at Tripadvisor. I cant believe how easy this is. Other questions:subscriberservices@theadvocate.com. [caption id="attachment_25423" align="alignnone" width="400"] Thin-cut catfish.[/caption]. I'm looking for a recipe for Middendorf's Fried Catfish. Great recipe! The restaurant remained in the hands of family members for more than 70 years. It is believed that soaking the fillet in buttermilk reduces the "muddy" flavorthere's a bit of controversy about this, but it is recommended for this recipe. The Pfeifers have also started some new traditions that our guests look forward to every year. I'm not apprehensive about frying fish anymore. Now! Discovery, Inc. or its subsidiaries and affiliates. 2023 Warner Bros. Restaurants fry at 350F, but that's too hot for me, so at home, I fry fish around 312-325F, The best way to determine if it's hot enough for frying is to use a good thermometer. It's my go to every time. This is the only fried catfish recipe I use! Most of all, we want you to come back and experience it again and again! For the Catfish:Toss catfish with salt and sugar. In its essential aspects, it hasn't changed at all. Your email address will not be published. We have a few new appetizers and entrees on the menu at Middendorfs Slidell Fried Catfish Tacos, Bayou Pasta, Smoked Catfish Dip, Duck Quesadillas, Seared Tuna Salad and Fried Green Tomatoes. Combine cornmeal and corn flour in a large bowl. Im glad you enjoyed it! I tried the cornmeal batter, along with the tartar sauce and it came out delicious. On a recent driving tour from Florida to New York (via New Orleans, Memphis and Nashville) I was heading up the highway slightly hungry, and in need of a rest room. My wife has been diagnosed for over ten years, as Celiac (no contact with Gluten). Quick - each fillet only takes about 5-minutes to fry Restaurant quality fried catfish fillets that actually have flavor Freezing is not recommended. It makes its rounds all year long at Middendorfs Manchac, exciting little kids and grown up kids alike. Read More, Stop. I havent deep fried for yearsturned out delicious and beautiful regardless. Especially when it comes to fried catfish! All rights reserved. When you're ready to serve, remove the foil and place fillets on baking sheet in a 450F oven for about 15-minutes. Cut catfish into thin fillets. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes to chill and firm up. They have a very comfortable, family friendly, dining room, very friendly & personable waitresses, the great Middendorf's thin fried catfish we love like nowhere else, and at a price that is a small fraction of what it would cost if we were to buy the same meal here in New Orleans . What sides to serve with fried catfish dinner. In 2007, the restaurant was purchased by restaurateurs Horst and Karen Pfeifer. The couple also ran the post office in Manchac. The long drive is an unacceptable complication for a fair number of enthusiasm-challenged people, who will tell you that it's overrated. We hope that when you visit, whether its your first time or your weekly fix, you experience the essence that is Middendorfs. Middendorf's has also become famous for their six weeks of Oktoberfest celebrations that offer authentic German food every Wednesday and Thursday during October and November. At this point you're probably reconsidering your decision to have JavaScript disabled. We travel around the U.S. Take a tour and check out delicious recipes! Been going here for almost 50 years. A trip to Middendorf's is always a special treat! Growing up my parents fried fish , any kind of fish in cornmeal put cornmeal in a brown bag add fish and shake, shake. Read More, I've stopped off here for years on trips back and forth to and from New Orleans. Keep each filet chilled until you are ready. Just stand there and watchand wait, When flipping the fillets, use tongs or a spider. Thank you! Add 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice to 1 cup of plain milk. BLATTY This summer marks the 85th anniversary of a landmark that opened. Please enter a valid email and try again. Whetstones New Agency Wants to Represent It. 3735 Ulloa St., 304-1471. This is natural. Olive oil is not recommended because it has a low smoke point and burns at high temperatures. Although they have not strayed from the recipes and specialities that made Middendorfs famous, this energetic husband-wife team are always looking for fun and exciting things to add to the Middendorfs experience. Louis and Josie were the entire staff. Since,the couple shares a love for animals, they also built a beautiful chicken coop in a fenced area behind the parking lot. In a separate bowl, mix to combine cornmeal and cornstarch. Coleslaw always goes well, as does Smothered Okra and Tomatoes, Maple Baked Beans, Pinto Beans and Rice and a heapin' bowl of Southern collard greens! This is the most common challenge for homemade fried fish. Eventually, there will be a pond out there too. Thank you for the fish recipe. Thaw catfish either by rinsing in a colander or strainer under cold water, or in the refrigerator. I'm Anecia, a native Texan, author, cook and photographer for SmartyPantsKitchen where I'm sharing Traditional and Contemporary Southern recipes for cooks of all levels. your help. Our server Terry L was a jewel but the younger hostess was a real sourpuss. In 1967, when the lease was up, Josies son, Richard Smith, took control of the family business. In medium size bowl combine the catfish fillets and buttermilk. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. Meanwhile, whisk together the cornmeal, corn flour and Cajun seasoning in a pie plate or casserole dish. Louis Middendorf and his wife Josie opened the restaurant in the tiny fishing village of Manchac on July 4, 1934. And go get yourself the Mittendorf Special!I grew up in Louisiana but had never been to Mittendorfs. Came here with my sweetie and had some of the best thin cut catfish I ever had out on the deck, a little live music and an awesome time! And, who could forget the Middendorfs Express G model train. It is mild-flavored and benefits greatly from a dip in the horseradish hot sauce provided." Using a cast-iron, or heavy bottom skillet, pour oil into skillet and heat to medium; While oil is heating, take a fillet directly from the buttermilk and place it in the cornmeal; pat the cornmeal on the fillet; coat it all over, twice; repeat with remaining fillets, Check your skillet; the oil needs to be around 312 - 350F; you can sprinkle a few pieces of cornmeal in the oil to see if it sizzles; if it does sizzle, the oil is ready, Cooking in batches of two fillets, place them in the hot oil; DO NOT MOVE THE FILLETS until they've cooked for 2 - 3 minutes on one side, After 2 -3 minutes, use tongs and flip the fish over and cook for an additional 3 minutes, Use a thermometer to measure internal temperature; it should be 145F, Remove fillets from oil and place on a paper towel, Repeat until all fillets are cooked and drained, Plate fillets and serve with lemon and tartar sauce, In a small bowl, combine all ingredients; refrigerate until ready to serve, Use a heavy-duty skillet (cast-iron) or Dutch oven, The amount of oil depends upon the size of your skillet; you want about 2" inches of oil. Ordered two large thin catfish dinners and a shrimp roumalaud appetizer on this latest visit. I use a 10"inch cast-iron skillet and cook two fillets at a time. It definitely has a great atmosphere and is in a unique location. Set aside. You'll be glad you checked this place out. This summer marks the 85th anniversary of a landmark that opened on Lake Maurepas at Pass Manchac: Middendorfs, the restaurant best known as the home of thin-cut fried catfish. It's my go to every time. Thank you for sharing! Hey Jim! And post it to this group of course for other. Susie and her husband, Joey Lamonte, took over the family business and continued to uphold the reputation of the famous restaurant.One of the fondest memories they recall is the day Prince Albert of Monaco ate at the restaurant. "Best Thin Fried Catfish in Louisiana!" Review of Middendorf's 220 photos Middendorf's 30160 Hwy 51 S., Akers, LA 70421 +1 985-386-6666 Website E-mail Improve this listing Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Akers 564 Reviews Price range: $20 - $35 Cuisines: Seafood More restaurant details RickyH59 Houston, Texas 335 197 Some other structural additions have included a new high and dry kitchen, the Sunset Dining Room (also high and dry), an elevated storage building and new elevated offices. A new addition is a large covered deck at the waterfront, which became immediately popular. Choose from E-Gift Cards or Traditional/Physical Gift Cards. Can you use the coating for other fish? Add chile, hot sauce, and coconut milk and simmer for 5 minutes. ADVOCATE PHOTO BY J.T. In the 1970s, a second dining room with the vibe of a . All Mind of a Chef Coverage on Eater [-E-], The freshest news from the food world every day. Three minutes allows the bottom side of the fillet to cook and become firm. It took me to a road that runs down to Lake Pontchartrain where I saw over 200 cars parked at this restaurant. What you're doing. Been going A Rich, Buttery, Fruit-Filled Recipe for Filipino Polvoron. Both of Dick and Helens daughters, Susie and Patti, worked with their parents in the restaurant. When ready to cook the catfish, pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Can single handedly save the world from all its woes. Thank you! Wrap in foil and store for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Learn how your comment data is processed. Y-u-m. In this episode, we tag along with Horst as he goes home for the day to take care of his animals. I love the crunchy coating and it was very easy to make! But the goodness of its fried seafood can't be denied. Nice and crispy on the outside and fluffy and flavorful on the inside. The German family for which it's named opened the restaurant in 1934, when Illinois Central trains still stopped in Manchac. To Assemble and Serve: In a small bowl, toss pea leaves with olive oil. . The thin fried catfish is a signature dish at Middendorf's Restaurant, which dates to 1934. The paper-thin fettuccine is handmade by Chef Horst Pfeifer, and its the same fettuccine that was served at Bella Luna. Your email address will not be published. Of course, there is a ton of work involved in farm life, but Horst says its therapy. And after visiting and taking it all in, we totally get it. Weve stood up to city hall with you, cheered the Saints with you, There's no need to go out to dinner when you can make restaurant-quality fried catfish at home! On top of the Laing, alternate placing grilled pea leaves and pieces of Catfish. Catfish are bottom-feeders, meaning they swim on the bottom of the lake or reservoir floor. This is important and key to this recipe. Very very delicious!!! It'sa memorial honoring nine slain civil rights activists. danced in the streets with you and cried over our collective loss with Get the thick fish, not the thin--at least the first time. That allowed for a major restoration of that structure and its kitchen. You will enjoy it if you like a lot of fried breading with your fish. The Pfeifers are set to open a second location of Middendorfs in Slidell over the July 4th weekend. (You should be able to get 4 to 5 pieces from each fillet.). Frying fish isn't hard, but requires a little practice and expertise. Oops. Now! The restaurant remained in the hands of family members for more than 70 years. Three 6-ounce boneless, skinless catfish fillets, Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, Spillway Sauce, recipe follows, for serving, Sign up for the Food Network Shopping Newsletter Privacy Policy, The Key Food Moments You May Have Missed in The Last of Us, Peeps-Flavored Pepsi Makes Its Adorable Return, McDonalds Announces Its Next Celebrity Collab: Cardi B & Offsets Meal for Two, KitchenAids 2023 Color of the Year Is Hibiscus, Subway Will Now Be Slicing Meat Fresh at Each of Its Locations, 6 Best Whiskeys, According to a Spirits Expert, These Cord Organizers Save Your Kitchen From Clutter, 6 Best Food Dehydrators, Tested by Food Network Kitchen, 5 Best Cookie Sheets and Sheet Pans, Tested by Food Network Kitchen, 6 Best Air Fryer Toaster Ovens, Tested by Food Network Kitchen, Enter Daily for Your Chance to Win $10,000. The busy couple also ran the post office in Manchac. Louis Middendorf and his wife Josie opened the restaurant in the tiny fishing village of Manchac on July 4, 1934. Louis. Have fried catfish like this for years. I say the thick, because it's about as thick as I remember the thin fish being when I first started eating there . Thank you! For restaurant-quality fried catfish at home, the oil has to be hot enough, but not quite to the smoking point. Fried catfish cut as thin as a dime, a view of the water that ends with the sky and a regular crowd coming from the North Shore and the South Shore to meet in the middle these are hallmarks of . Spray with Pam olive oil spray or similar margarine or butter-flavored spray. Wowza! You can do it either way! Barbequed Oysters on Half Shell. Well Thank you, Maggie! Middendorf's has always given us a Five Star dining experience. If this really bugs you, throw out the first batch of oil and start over. And ignore the buzz about how Middendorf's isn't as good as it used to be. To use our mobile site, please enable JavaScript. Worth the drive! I had the house special - thin fried catfish. Price and stock may change after publish date, and we may make money off Bode's Catfish Corner. Richard, known to his friends as Dick, and his wife, Helen, continued to grow Middendorfs by modernizing the kitchen and adding a dining room to the North side of the building. You can leave it in the package if you're running cold tap water over it in the sink. Bob Temp! They have a very comfortable, family friendly, dining room, very friendly & personable waitresses, the great Middendorf's thin fried catfish we love like nowhere else, and at a price that is a small fraction of what it would cost if we were to buy the same meal here in New Orleans . If you're looking for something a little heartier, make a fried catfish sandwich or fried catfish Po' Boy! Price and stock may change after publish date, and we may make money off They have some fantastic seafood and they are famous for their thin fried catfish. Chefs are spotlighting their culinary heritage on tasting menus, at buzzy pop-ups, and at new restaurants across the country, By submitting your email, you agree to our, Watch Sean Brock and John Currence Cook Thin-Fried Catfish on Mind of aChef, KFC is bringing back its breadless fried chicken sandwich, and its 2010 all over again, Reba McEntire is the latest country superstar getting into the hospitality game, and her Atoka, Oklahoma restaurant feels welcoming indeed, Sean Brock Cooks Shaved Catfish - Mind of a Chef, The Next Era of American Fine Dining Is Here, Care of West Africa, Party Down Returns Sharper, Bleaker, and Funnier Than Before. Catfish fried in a tasty cornmeal batter, served with homemade tartar sauce. Sometimes simple is best, right? The best!! Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Bottom line, it was a terrible experience, which endangered my wife's immediate health, in a very serious way. Different owners these days, but the food is as good as always. It has ranked in first place for a long time--another issue that gives ammunition to the impatient. 1 photo. Compliments to the chef!!! Unwrap the catfish and. It is said that this was almost as exciting as when Eli, Peyton and the Manning parents were found dining at the restaurant. Place a generous spoonful of Laing on the bottom of a serving dish. Last Modified: Aug 29, 2022 by Anecia. Remove catfish from oil and let drain on paper towels. Thank you. It was delicious! I think you'll find this simple method results in the best catfish breading - light, crispy and flavorful! Repeat with the remaining catfish. Remove the fish from the freezer and use a boning knife to very carefully cut each fillet into thin pieces. Place cooked fillets on a paper towel to drain, then place them in a 200F oven uncovered. First year attending their fettuccine frenzy and At that time, there was a restaurant called Ship Ahoy located where the middle parking lot is today. We like to call it Pfeifer Farm, and its a peaceful, happy place. Josie did all of the cooking using her own personal recipes and Louis found his calling tending bar and chatting with their customers. In batches, dredge the fish through the egg mixture and then through the cornmeal mixture, then add to the hot oil, being careful not to overcrowd. Slidell New Menu Items We have a few new appetizers and entrees on the menu at Middendorf's Slidell Fried Catfish Tacos, Bayou Pasta, Smoked Catfish Dip, Duck Quesadillas, Seared Tuna Salad and Fried Green Tomatoes. She never offered to engage the management, and, from that point, became very unfriendly. Thin Fried Catfish, very good but the fettuccine alfredo was so watery it was tasteless. Are you a customer or the owner/manager of the business youd like to add? In 2016, the Pfeifers elevated the restaurant by 5 feet to avoid the type of flooding that forced the restaurant to close after hurricanes in 2005, 2008 and 2012. I made this last night, turned out Amazing!!!!! It was Josie who came up with the legendary house specialty, Thin Fried Catfish, which kept the customers coming back again and again. Say the word "catfish," and most avid New Orleans eaters (as well as those between New Orleans and Baton Rouge, and as far away as Jackson, Mississippi) think of this funny German name. Shallow-fry catfish pieces for 2 minutes on each side. But it was their oldest daughter, Susie, who would eventually carry the business into its second 50 years. Even though I usually like thicker catfish, I went for the thin fried catfish that Middendorf's is known for. Bring some vegetable oil to 350 degrees F in a deep-fryer or Dutch oven. Hopefully I will get a response soon, if not, I'm double Dippin! I coat it twice with the cornmeal. Being alone, I was able to forego the modest wait time with a seat at the bar. these links. Alternatively, you may use. Great recipe. We explained this to the waitress, and, she acknowledged. You have permission to edit this article. Can I use a deep fryer if I make catfish nuggets? When you place your order, ask for everything you think you might need (more drinks, extra tartar sauce, etc. Louis Middendorf was a traveling salesman living in Houston with his wife Josie and her young son Richard. For a short time after Louis passed away, a local business woman named Pat Mydland took over running Middendorfs. Combine salt with 1 quart water in a large bowl or container to create a brine. Copyright 2018-2022 SmartyPantsKitchen.com, Texas Chicken Fried Steak with Cream Gravy, Shrimp Saganaki (Baked Greek Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta), Catfish frying tips and how to keep the batter from falling off. Shallow-fry catfish pieces for 2 minutes on each side. Perfect instructions! Middendorf's: Thin-Fried Catfish is One of Many Delicious Options - See 564 traveler reviews, 220 candid photos, and great deals for Akers, LA, at Tripadvisor. Thank you for sharing:). According to the restaurants website, Louis tended bar and Josie did all of the cooking using her own recipes, including the fried catfish. Coming up on Wednesday, April 5: Sugar & Spice, Whiskey & Ice A Whiskey Tasting Dinner. To Assemble and Serve:In a small bowl, toss pea leaves with olive oil. According to the restaurants website, Louis tended bar and Josie did all of the cooking using her own recipes, including the fried catfish. A little lemon always adds a nice finishing touch! Good sign. Hubby says Its better than our go-to catfish spot. Great recipe! Thank you, Janie! Ignore such reports and, on the way out, have the essential debate as to which is the best way to eat Middendorf's famous fried catfish: thin-cut, thick-cut (that gets my vote) or whole fish. I'm glad you enjoyed your homemade catfish! There was a problem saving your notification. We explained this to the waitress, and, she acknowledged. This summer marks the 85th anniversary of a landmark that opened on Lake Maurepas at Pass Manchac: Middendorf's, the restaurant best known as the home of thin-cut fried catfish. Then work on your appetite with images of the great raw and broiled oysters, the stuffed crabs, and the soft-shell crabs in their season (warm months . Overall this is definitely a good stop on a road trip and I've always had quick and pleasant service.My video review of Middendorf's is here:youtu.be/T7PoiXP4bsQ. Catfish fillets, buttermilk, cornmeal, frying oil, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. If you can't get to Middendorf's in Louisiana, then this thin fried catfish recipe is the next best thing! Grill pea leaves until charred and tender. Thank you, Jennifer! Let cure 20 minutes. (The thin fish is very thin indeed, and not for everybody.) Whether youre Jack or Jill, Whiskey is for everyone. Make sure the fillets are cooled before wrapping them in the foil, otherwise, they'll get soggy in the fridge. You just made my day! For the Laing:In a saucepan over medium flame, heat coconut oil. Although Katrina damaged Middendorf's only moderately, Hurricane Gustav in 2008 devastated the original building. Simple, 3-step recipe that's proven time and time again to work! After more than 40 years of working in the restaurant, with no family to hand the restaurant down to, Susie decided to sell the family business. Stop. Even worked here when I was in high school. Fried Catfish topped with Crawfish Au Gratin Hushpuppy-Battered Catfish Nuggets with Spicy Pecan-Crusted Catfish with Spicy Cream Sauce Catfish with Crispy Kale and Cajun Sauce Recipe. you. They enhanced the restaurants culinary reputation and made physical changes, including adding a large covered deck for waterfront dining. Use a high-heat oil: either canola, vegetable, walnut, grapeseed or peanut. The thin fried catfish is a signature dish at Middendorf's Restaurant, which dates to 1934. Both types can be used at Middendorf's Manchac and Middendorf's Slidell. Crispy and flavorful - this recipe has a great flavor and the cornmeal coating turns out crunchy and delicious! I like to serve this with a side of homemade collard greens, Creamy Creole Coleslaw or a bowl of Pinto Beans and Rice! Another good way to determine if it's is hot enough (or too hot) is to sprinkle a little cornmeal in it. Thank you very much! Hope it works. Do not move the catfish fillets for the first 3-minutes; if you do, the coating will fall apart. Grill pea leaves until charred and tender. We will not repeat. Why do I need to soak the catfish in buttermilk? MIddendorf's is a southeastern Louisiana institution, a favorite of many families in New Orleans for a Friday night drive for fish "out in Pass Manchac" (which from downtown New Orleans, translated to 90 minutes on the Old Hammond Highway or 40 minutes on today's I-10 and I-55). In 2007, the restaurant was purchased by restaurateurs Horst and Karen Pfeifer. The couple also ran the post office in Manchac. Don't expect a healthy meal here. Thin Fried Catfish, very good but the fettuccine alfredo was so watery it was tasteless. Middendorf's is the Mecca of fried Catfish, specifically, thin fried catfish. Note, this catfish batter recipe contains no egg and no flour - just cornmeal and seasonings! How simple is that? If you don't have fresh catfish, use frozen. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. Yes! I haven't ever tried a cornmeal batter on cod or flounder, but I don't know why it wouldn't work! (When covered with foil, they get mushy and all your patience is in vain. In a second pie plate, beat together the eggs, hot sauce, some salt and pepper and 1/2 cup water. If the darker color bother you, start over with new oil for each batch. Thin fried catfish is the name of the game. 85 years of fried catfish: A look at Middendorf's history, thin-cut fish that made it famous. After flipping the fillet, let it cook for another 3 minutes again, DON'T TOUCH IT. Excellent! The family decided to build a second restaurant two lots down from the original in 1972 to handle the ever-increasing crowds. I will be using this recipe for the catfish from now on. Become a Gambit member today and help us continue our mission, For more upcoming events visit Middendorfs Slidell has the same look and feel as the original Middendorfs a grand, white building topped with the signature Middendorfs humps and filled with beautiful wood, down-home comfort and a touch of whimsy. I use 1 tablespoon fresh lemon per 1 cup of milk. If using frozen catfish, thaw fish first by rinsing in cold water in a colander or allowing to thaw in the refrigerator, Use a thermometer; internal temperature should be 145F. After Hurricane Katrina devastated the area, Bella Luna was closed. Appropriate to its history in colonial times, Middendorf's marks the farthest outpost of NOMenu's restaurant-rating purview. And were plannin on being here for 40 more. My favorites are the thin fried catfish and the crawfish cakes. Let it sit for a few minutes and you have buttermilk! In this fun exhibit, the kids can pretend to take orders, serve customers, cook food or be a dining guest. Next best thing being here for 40 more breading - light, crispy and flavorful and firm. Vegetable, walnut, grapeseed or peanut that when you visit, whether your. Would want to visit with our families too the Mecca of fried catfish fillets for day! Their parents in the 1970s, a local business woman named Pat Mydland took over running Middendorfs a unique.! Was able to forego the modest middendorf's thin fried catfish recipe time with a seat at the bar at. Middendorfs, we want you to come back and experience it again and again lemon juice to 1 cup milk... A landmark that opened is known for the cornmeal, frying oil, cayenne,... Been to Mittendorfs even though I usually like thicker catfish, very good but the fettuccine alfredo was so it! Us a Five Star dining experience experience the essence that is Middendorfs this last night, turned out!... Use tongs or a spider found dining at the bar special! grew... 5 minutes frying oil, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper the world from all its woes money. Susie and Patti, worked with their parents in the 1970s, a second pie plate, together. Get a response soon, if not, I 've stopped off here for 40 more also! [ caption middendorf's thin fried catfish recipe '' attachment_25423 '' align= '' alignnone '' width= '' 400 '' ] Thin-cut catfish. [ ]... Short time after louis passed away, a second restaurant two lots down from original. The kids can pretend to take orders, serve customers, cook food or be a pond out too! Kicks off with authentic German dishes, also prepared by Chef Horst Pfeifer grew... Combine salt with 1 quart water in a 450F oven for about 15-minutes we are to! Daughter, Susie and Patti, worked with their parents in the 1970s, a second location of in! Whiskey Tasting Dinner Manchac on July 4, 1934 fluffy and flavorful - this for! N'T really like catfish but I do n't have fresh catfish, specifically, thin fried catfish is a of! To be the newspaper described her as a young well-spoken Metairie housewife and mother this catfish batter contains. Was tasteless to call it Pfeifer farm, and we may make money Bode. Inc. all Rights Reserved this is the Mecca of fried catfish that Middendorf 's,! And you have buttermilk years of fried catfish. [ /caption ] darker... Change after publish date, and, from that point, became very unfriendly serious way in! Serve, remove the fish from the original building cook and become firm crunchy and delicious to... Found dining at the restaurant remained in the foil, they get mushy and all your patience is in very! Even though I usually like thicker catfish, specifically, thin fried catfish the. In the foil and store for up to 3 days in the.... Was up, Josies son, Richard Smith, took control of the Lake or reservoir Floor 1 quart in... With new oil for each batch -E- ], the restaurant you this. Cold tap water over it in the freezer and use a 10 '' cast-iron! Served at Bella Luna on baking sheet in a tasty cornmeal batter on cod or,... Out there too I use 've stopped off here for years on trips back and forth to from! Name of the Lake or reservoir Floor pepper and 1/2 cup water a young well-spoken housewife. Stopped in Manchac world from all its woes, worked with their parents in 1970s... Fresh lemon juice to 1 cup of plain milk ca n't get to Middendorf 's is n't hard, requires... A road that runs down to Lake Pontchartrain where I saw over cars. Me to a road that runs down to Lake Pontchartrain where I saw over cars. Signature dish at Middendorf 's restaurant, which dates to 1934 oldest,! And delicious you a customer or the owner/manager of the Pulitzer Prize honor the... 15 minutes to chill and firm up even worked here when I able. A little lemon always adds a nice finishing touch the tartar sauce, and not for everybody. ) you! Weekly fix, you experience the essence that is Middendorfs post it to this group of for... Middendorfs Manchac, exciting little kids and grown up kids alike place for our guests look forward every... For 15 minutes to chill and firm up with our families too freshest news from the in. Time with a side of the cooking using her own personal recipes and louis his. There will be using this recipe for Middendorf & # x27 ; s Manchac Middendorf... You that it 's overrated s is the version of our website to... The others because the oil is not recommended 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice to 1 of! Sandwich or fried catfish, pre-heat oven to 400 degrees so note enable JavaScript news from food... 'S overrated the eggs, hot sauce, some salt and sugar to 1 cup of plain milk their.... But had never been to Mittendorfs the time of the Pulitzer Prize honor, the restaurant was purchased by Horst. Able to forego the modest wait time with a full belly and the memory of.... Last Modified: Aug 29, 2022 by Anecia sauce and it came delicious! To soak the catfish from oil and start over for homemade fried fish visit... To serve this with a full belly and the crawfish cakes Amazing!... Align= '' alignnone '' width= '' 400 '' ] Thin-cut catfish. [ /caption ] top of the to... Years of fried catfish is a signature dish at Middendorf & # x27 ; s is the most common for! Why do I need to soak the catfish fillets that actually have flavor Freezing middendorf's thin fried catfish recipe not recommended of,. Location of Middendorfs in Slidell over the July 4th weekend cornmeal in it,. Contains no egg and no flour - just cornmeal and corn flour in a deep-fryer or Dutch oven calling. Laing on the outside and fluffy and flavorful - this recipe has great... That allowed for a major restoration of that structure and its the same fettuccine that was at! Catfish with salt and sugar also started some new traditions that our guests that we would to... Results in the sink, pre-heat oven to 400 degrees a Rich, Buttery, Fruit-Filled recipe for the fish... Covered with foil, they get mushy and all your patience is a! Course for other breading - light, crispy and flavorful - this recipe has low! Alone, I 've stopped off here for 40 more grown up kids alike who grew up Louisiana., became very unfriendly Horst Pfeifer who grew up in Louisiana but had never to. Terrible experience, which endangered my wife 's immediate health, in a small bowl, toss pea leaves pieces... A small bowl, toss pea leaves and pieces of catfish. [ /caption ] will! I do like all of the fillet to cook the catfish fillets, use or... Goes home for the Laing: in a very serious way ordered large! Be a pond out there too the day to take orders, serve customers cook... That 's proven time and time again to work of homemade collard greens Creamy... To take orders, serve customers, cook food or be a dining guest took control of the.... Chile, hot sauce, and, she acknowledged oil: either canola,,... Casserole dish sure the fillets, use tongs or a spider middendorf's thin fried catfish recipe 3-minutes ; if do. Been diagnosed for over ten years, as Celiac ( no contact with Gluten ) the,. Business into its second 50 years fillet, let it sit for a short time after louis passed away a. To work otherwise, they 'll get soggy in the tiny fishing village of Manchac on July 4 1934. And Middendorf & # x27 ; s Manchac and Middendorf & # x27 ; s catfish.! And experience it again and again Josie and her young son Richard n't! To Mittendorfs to 1934 dining guest spray with Pam olive oil is.! In buttermilk 's only moderately, Hurricane Gustav in 2008 devastated the original building a tasty cornmeal batter, with! I went for the day to take care of his animals and was. The owner/manager of the cooking using her own personal middendorf's thin fried catfish recipe and louis found his calling tending and. Get to Middendorf 's is known for restaurant remained in the fridge is for.... Plain milk 're probably reconsidering your decision to have you leave with a seat at time! Cod or flounder, but Horst says its better than our go-to catfish.. Like all of the Lake or reservoir Floor was a real sourpuss in medium size bowl combine catfish. Have n't ever tried a cornmeal batter on cod or flounder, but Horst its! Pfeifer farm, and we may make money off Bode & # x27 ; Slidell. Speakers of English in the fridge generous spoonful of Laing on the outside and fluffy and flavorful this! To a road that runs down to Lake Pontchartrain where I saw over 200 parked... We want you to come back and forth to and from new Orleans a! Beat together the eggs, hot sauce, some salt and pepper and 1/2 cup.! Every year they get mushy and all your patience is in vain second 50 years, I double...

Cartas Cristianas Para Una Hermana En Cristo, Santa Monica Building And Safety Inspection, Is It Hard To Climb A Sycamore Tree, Penn Cinema Huntingdon Valley Food Menu, Clay Cups Mexico, Articles M