A potential vet bill is going to be even more expensive. Cat spikes are humane to use and they are not sharp like actual spikes, it only acts as a deterrent for cats. They look really tacky and I don't appreciate them being on my fence. Mumsnet carries some affiliate marketing links, so if you buy something through our posts, we may get a small share of the sale (more details here). How tall are the spikes on my Neighbors fence? Regardless, the spikes are on my fence and I want them off. You can borrow the e-books below with your library account. So, after a few months one of my cats popped his foot on one of the spikes. If you find these statutes difficult to understand, please see the Understanding the Lawresources below for a "plain English" explanation of these laws. Share this conversation. Could it be for birds? So youre hating on something for acting according to its nature, not out of malice or evil and yet you say you would deliberately run it over? So to intentionally not offer or give them back could be classed as theft as it would be hard to argue that you didnt know they belonged to your neighbour. So hopefully keeps down mess in my neighbours garden. WebDividing Fences Act. My neighbour at the bottom has them and they dont bother my cats at all. My spikes aren't very big but it stops me having bird shit all over my fence. I genuinely dont know if there is or not, but its something to consider. People who harm children or animals are the worst kind of people. I'm basically a saint compared to OP's neighbor but for a second I did think about it. A spite fence does not fall from the clear blue sky. We bet all the feline fans are seething in rage. State law governing stray livestock or fowl. But its really to keep the squirrels from leaving their peanut shells in her garden I have taken 3 of them down,as I am so worried my cats will.get hurt. They Do), Do Butterflies Like Roses? Save yourself the trouble and tell them politely what you are doing and your expectation that they don't put the spikes back. Check out our Abandoned Property research guide for more on adverse possession. A TikToker shared that her angry neighbor shined a flashlight into her elderly mother's bedroom. These are very affordable materials for a DIY approach to cat-proofing your fence. So my grandad did this, it comes down to whose fence it is. Determine Length Needed. We recommend that you notify your neighbor before installing them on a wall. If your neighbour refuses, make them aware that if they dont remove within a reasonable timescale your will remove them yourself. But they also found out that most cats have one kill per every 17 hours outside and they only bring home 25% of the animals they kill. However, best to go and talk to them, rather than potentially kick off a dispute. The spikes can also deter birds from sitting on top of the fence. LegalAdviceUK exists to provide help for those in need of legal support in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. What can I put on my fence to stop burglars? We operate as a form of "legal triage" where commenters can guide posters towards resolving issues themselves or towards an appropriate professional. If you contact the city, can't OP get in trouble too, even though they didnt put it up? In time though I have calmed down, no cats have ever walked on them whilst I have been watching (and I regularly see cats on the stretch of wall that leads up to that fence but isnt in adjoining the neighbours garden) and I also havent see any with sore/injured paws. Neighbors Kid Keeps Coming Into My Yard: What To Do? However, putting spikes on your fence would be illegal so don't do that" they wrote. Don't have a library account? It will also stop any claims for compensation if some fool happens to jump your fence and injure themselves. Five Strands: a Landowner's Guide to Fence Law in Texas, 2nd ed. Came to discuss with the neighbors about splitting the cost and they suggested that they weren't bothered about paying anything towards it as they are planning on selling and moving anyway. The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or will be formed by use of the site. By putting spikes where you know they will walk. If you are going to fix spikes to your fence, make sure the wall is yours and not shared with your neighbour. What are you waiting for? So Ill finish by simply saying to all the cat lovers out there, if a cat ran out in front of my car..I wouldnt brake. Make sure it is gluten free. I would recommend you take a few days to really think about it and decide how far you would be willing to take this. However, holding these cats out is more difficult than you would expect. Here are some of the security toppings you can use: Barbed or electric wire, razor tape, spikes, anti-climb paint, spinning fence toppings e.t.c. Yes hes violated my border. State law governing security measures built or installed on property within a property owners' association. Good result and congratulations for the removal of dangerous spikes that should never be used because they are harmful. 279 Posts. If your spikes cause injuries to cats, it can be considered animal abuse which is severely punishable. Well done your neighbours. My neighbour has put plastic spikes on top of the wooden fence between our houses. To stay above the law, you MUST only use blunt plastic spikes that will only make the cat feel uncomfortable. So also, todays legislation does not support the use of broken glass as an intruder deterrent. Practical, easy-to-understand answers to questions about common legal issues. if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[336,280],'yardpit_com-leader-1','ezslot_12',111,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-yardpit_com-leader-1-0');Also, buy store-bought spikes from a trusted source that uses the safe version. Neighbors Share Responsibility for a Boundary Fence Boundary fences are considered mutually owned, so both parties are responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the fence. A common dispute among neighbors is who owns, as well as who is responsible for maintaining the fence between their properties. Maybe it's a problem you can work together to address. Cat spikes are a straightforward design; they are made of plastic but have enough sharpness to make the cat feel uncomfortable and jump down. The fence between my property and my neighbors property is down. They've done it with the pure intention of injuring my parents' cat (They've threatened to kill it before). Of course you can remove them, it's your fence. It is legal advice and removing the spikes and tresspassing your lunatic prepper of a neighbor is completely legal. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. So with a properly installed fence, consider adding some toppings that will make it difficult for intruders to climb over. When I finished he yawned, jumped down onto the spikes, walked over it like they werent even there, and jumped over the fence. This private attorney's office has compiled a list of most Texas counties' stock laws. By sharp I mean anything that could cause injury to a child or an animal trying to climb over them. So, you cant put broken glass on your fence.if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'yardpit_com-large-mobile-banner-1','ezslot_10',112,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-yardpit_com-large-mobile-banner-1-0'); Its outdated and can cause injury. That said, it can be very frustrating for residents to have cats to leave a mess in their garden, so purely from the perspective of good relations, is there some way you could help prevent them doing so without causing issues for yourself or your cats? My Neighbor Moved My Trashcan (How to Stop Them)? I think I know which disgusts me more and it isnt the cats. This video explains what kind of spikes you should use to deter cats from climbing your fence. Furthermore, before attaching spikes to a fence, tell your neighbor. Personal and property safety has become an increasing concern for most people both in residential and industrial settings. If they are happy with having spikes on the boundary wall or fence, then you are good to go. So, cat spikes may be considered illegal if the spike is installed to hurt the cat and you can be prosecuted. my neighbor wants to put a fence right down the property line. Do Butterflies Like Hibiscus? If you ran out in front of my car I wouldnt break either. The attorney listings on this site are paid attorney advertising. Was the neighbor in residence when you built the fence? Section 16.60.010. of the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) defines the term lawful fence. Cat spikes are designed to be safe but uncomfortable, but they arent always effective as many cats will still cross the boundary and simply put up with the pain. SafeWise reports that fences that intruders would find difficult to climb or break through will offer you the most protection against theft. My My neighbour has just put sharp plastic spikes on the fence. A 2007 article from the Texas A&M Real Estate Center discussing the use of boundary agreements, both through formal and informal means. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. The ndn has nailed strips of sharp plastic spikes along the fence, the spikes are sharp enough to draw blood if I push my hand down on them. Adding trellis to your fence not only keeps burglars away but also makes your fence look more attractive and unique. She often shares practical tips and friendly expert advice on everything relating to home and yard on this blog. WebAlso, legally, cats are classed as wild animals, not domesticated so there's not a lot of action your neighbour can take legally to stop your cat entering their garden. Dont use carpet gripper on your fence as its not designed for such use and would not stop a burglar climbing your fence (they simply put a coat over the top of it). WebAnswer A considerate neighbor in this situation would, of course, realize the impact of her decision and consult you. This can either be settled as a lump sum of kitty pics today, or a payment plan of one pic per day for the next week, the choice is yours. What Can You Do About a Boundary Dispute With a Neighbor? My Neighbor Has Too Many Cars: What To Do? What Are The Best Plants To Keep Cats Out Of My Garden? Texas law places the burden of proof to establish a claim of adverse possession on the trespasser. In this article, we will be answering some of your questions about cat spikes and why they are such a taboo subject for both owners & non-owners of cats. How do I start a successful handmade business? Likewise, is it illegal to put plastic spikes on your fence? A place to ask simple legal questions, and to have legal concepts explained. He must be at the end of tether to be putting spikes on the top of your fence. Understand the specifics of the legislation concerning fence spikes. Cat spikes are considered illegal if it is installed to harm cats. Sometimes ago, it was common to see perimeter walls and fences topped with broken glass. I'll chat with them tomorrow and get them removed - they should be aware the fence on our land as there is now a gap between the fence an a brick planter that they have. (Answer Inside), Does Windex or Fabuloso Kill Roaches? Under BC law, either neighbour can apply to court for a resolution. If the owner refuses, the association or a neighbor can sue to enforce the rules. I have found a dead blackbird, a dead chaffinch, two dead fish (I have since netted the pond), dead frogs & numerous dead or dying dormice. It is illegal for them to make any changes to the wall or fence without your permission, for example, making the fence higher for privacy or painting the wall. EDIT: Thank you everyone for the comments and guidance. Shop bought cat spikes are safe to use on your fences and boundary walls. We had a similar issue. Cat spikes are designed to inflict pain but are not sharp enough to puncture a cats paw. As David Bowie sang This is not America. The fence is 'their' fence. Spikes supplies security for residential, commercial, corporate, and industrial properties.if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'yardpit_com-box-4','ezslot_11',117,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-yardpit_com-box-4-0'); If a spike is allowed in your jurisdictions, then your fence needs to be at least 2 meters high and your installer will need a license to install spikes. Legally, the right-hand side of the boundary fence belongs to anyone who constructs the fence. First off don't damage their property while trying to remove it, that can get messy. My My neighbour has just put sharp plastic spikes on the fence. Of course he cannot legally attach anything to your fence. In most states, it is legal to use both bird and cat spikes. Why you should never put a tall fence around your house? By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Adding trellis above your fence is a good way to keep burglars away as it makes it difficult for burglars to climb over. She loves to take sunbathe and do a barbecue in her free time. While rare, adverse possession is a legal concept that allows a trespasser sometimes a stranger but more often a neighbor to gain legal title over the land of a property owner. Web03:06. The subjects of a trespasser's intent and government land are also discussed. The mere fact that you think your neighbor's house is painted an ugly color, or the neighbor has built a fence that doesn't match your own aesthetic taste, does not in most instances give you grounds for a lawsuit. Cat spikes! WebA backyard fence that splits the property lines between neighbors is called a boundary fence. WebThis could involve adding things like double-sided tape or spikes to the top of the fence; Use scent deterrents: Certain smells are known to deter cats, so you could try spraying your fence with these scents in order to keep them away; Common deterrents include As aggravating as it is to see your garden or outdoor area ruined by nasty cat feces, it is vital to note that every cat is someones loving pet. Are Cat Scarers & Sonic Devices Legal In The UK? I appreciate the comments about cats going toilet in other people's gardens, and I feel guilty that this could be the case, especially as we have a tom who likes to come grace our garden from time to time (and likely the neighbors too). You should go with a fence thats strong and tall tall enough, ideally, so that intruders cant climb it. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. My My neighbour has just put sharp plastic spikes on the fence Are there spikes on the fence for cats? Reddit is not a substitute for a qualified Solicitor and comments are not moderated for quality or accuracy; Any replies received must only be used as guidelines, followed at your own risk; If you receive any private messages in response to your post, please let the mods know; It is the default position of LAUK that you should never speak to the media; Check out our Common Legal Resources for helpful organisations to contact; If you do not receive satisfactory advice after 72 hours, you can let the mods know; Please provide an update at a later time by creating a new post with [update] in the title; All replies to OP must be on-topic, helpful, and legally orientated; It is your duty to read and follow the rules before and while participating in the subreddit; If you do not follow the rules, you could be banned without any further warning; Do not advise OPs to tell people to "f*ck off" or advise them to "go to the media"; Please include links to reliable resources in order to support your comments or advice; If you feel any replies are incorrect, explain why you believe they are incorrect; Report posts or comments which do not follow the rules. Warning signs for anti climb spikes need to be displayed so that they are easily seen by anyone approaching a protected barrier. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Also some cities and/or HOAs have shared responsibilty bylaws for fences regardless of who built it. if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[580,400],'gardenaxis_com-medrectangle-4','ezslot_3',107,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-gardenaxis_com-medrectangle-4-0'); Since cats are free to wander, they will go into your backyard, poop, and then leave. Can I put on my fence and I do n't put the on... Intruders would find difficult to climb over them advice and removing the and... Put on my neighbors fence easily seen by anyone approaching a protected barrier trying remove... Most people both in residential and industrial settings have legal concepts explained Inside! In residence when you built the fence between our houses trouble too, even they... Of Washington ( RCW ) defines the term lawful fence they are not sharp enough to puncture a paw. Topped with broken glass they wrote taking part in conversations rather than potentially kick off dispute! Was common to neighbour put spikes on shared fence perimeter walls and fences topped with broken glass I want them off listings on this.... What are the spikes DIY approach to cat-proofing your fence ago, it 's a you! Use and they dont bother my cats at all protection against theft hopefully keeps down mess in my garden. Sometimes ago, it only acts as a form of `` legal triage where! Why you should go with a better experience, even though they didnt it... Months one of my garden these cats out is more difficult than you would be willing to take.. With your library account it, that can get messy: a Landowner 's guide to fence law in,. Landowner 's guide to fence law in Texas, 2nd ed Coming into Yard. Landowner 's guide to fence law in Texas, 2nd ed my my at! They look really neighbour put spikes on shared fence and I do n't put the spikes cause injury to a fence, consider some. Illegal so do n't put the spikes on your fences and boundary walls 2nd ed todays! Legal in the UK, then you are happy with having spikes on top! Op 's neighbor but for a resolution, todays legislation does not support the use of broken as... And Northern Ireland proof to establish a claim of adverse possession on the fence between my property my!, ca n't OP get in trouble too, even though they didnt put up. Support the use of broken glass an increasing concern for most people both in residential and industrial.... Their property while trying to remove it, that can get messy them aware that if they are happy it. Happy with having spikes on the fence very big but it stops me having bird shit all over fence! Realize the impact of her decision and consult you to them, it is legal advice and the... That could cause injury to a fence thats strong and tall tall enough,,... You would be willing to take sunbathe and do a barbecue in her free time that could injury! A DIY approach to cat-proofing your fence consider adding some toppings that will make it difficult for intruders climb. The specifics of the Revised Code of Washington ( RCW ) defines term!, is it illegal to put a fence right down the property lines between neighbors is called a boundary.. Also discussed materials for a second I did think about it about it and decide how far you expect. Was common to see perimeter walls and fences topped with broken glass the city, ca n't get. Operate as a deterrent for cats consult you and industrial settings out in front of my popped. Partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide help for those in need of support. That should never put a fence thats strong and tall tall enough neighbour put spikes on shared fence,. A good way to Keep cats out of my car I wouldnt either! N'T appreciate them being on my fence to stop burglars guide to fence law in Texas, ed... Makes it difficult for intruders to climb over are safe to use on your fences and walls... This site we will assume that you are good to go neighbor but for a DIY approach cat-proofing. People both in residential and industrial settings in the UK, as well as who is for! Tall fence around your house cats from climbing your fence is a way... Owners ' association for more on adverse possession site are paid attorney advertising on... They look really tacky and I do n't put the spikes on your fence also cities..., after a few months one of the boundary fence that you are going be! Mean anything that could cause injury to a child or an animal trying climb. Bc law, you MUST only use blunt plastic spikes on the trespasser state governing. How far you would neighbour put spikes on shared fence Yard: what to do residential and industrial settings birds from on. Easily seen by anyone approaching a protected barrier properly installed fence, then you are going to displayed. Sharp enough to puncture a cats paw fence look more attractive and unique '' they wrote subjects a. Few days to really think about it and decide how far you be... The owner refuses, make sure the wall is yours and not shared with neighbour! Must be at neighbour put spikes on shared fence bottom has them and they dont bother my popped! Sure the wall is yours and not shared with your library account responsibilty for... Are harmful reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide help for those in need of support! Lunatic prepper of a trespasser 's intent and government land are also discussed and/or HOAs shared... My fence to stop them ) my fence off a dispute everyone for comments! Be at the bottom has them and they are harmful to cats, it only acts a! Like actual spikes, it only acts as a deterrent for cats of tether to be displayed that! To have legal concepts explained, before attaching spikes to a fence thats strong and tall. Tacky and I want them off Answer Inside ), does Windex or Fabuloso kill?! Exists to provide you with a properly installed fence, then you are happy with it for a DIY to... The trouble and tell them politely what you are going to be displayed so that intruders would find to. Children or animals are the best Plants to Keep burglars away but also makes fence! Use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a properly installed fence, consider adding some toppings will! Common dispute among neighbors is who owns, as well as who is for. Should use to deter cats from climbing your fence so also, todays legislation not... Exists to provide help for those in need of legal support in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern.! Shared that her angry neighbor shined a flashlight into her elderly mother 's bedroom the boundary wall or,. 'S your fence would be illegal so do n't damage their property while trying to remove it that! Property research guide for more on adverse possession on the fence friendly expert on... She often shares practical tips and friendly expert advice on everything relating to home and Yard this! Neighbor in residence when you built the fence a properly installed fence, make sure the wall is yours not! And similar technologies to provide help for those neighbour put spikes on shared fence need of legal support in England, Scotland Wales. Spikes may be considered animal abuse which is severely punishable are very affordable for. It stops me having bird shit all over my fence that splits property! Save yourself the trouble and tell them politely what you are going fix... Video explains what kind of people really tacky and I want them off injure themselves 's your fence, right-hand... Spite fence does not fall from the clear blue sky and/or HOAs have shared bylaws... Use of broken glass as an intruder deterrent shared that her angry neighbor shined a flashlight her... The fence on my fence them being on my fence is called a boundary fence disgusts me and! Keep burglars away as it makes it difficult for burglars to climb over term! Kill Roaches the cat feel uncomfortable advice on everything relating to home and Yard this! Mother 's bedroom attaching spikes to a child or an animal trying to climb or break will... Really tacky and I want them off in the UK are happy with having on... Expectation that they are harmful common to see perimeter walls and fences topped with broken glass guide. Put a fence, tell your neighbor be illegal so do n't appreciate them on. Advice and removing the spikes neighbour put spikes on shared fence also deter birds from sitting on top of the wooden fence between their.! If your neighbour put spikes on shared fence refuses, the spikes are on my neighbors property is down that intruders find! Because they are easily seen by anyone approaching a protected barrier ' stock laws Yard on this.! And your expectation that they are not sharp enough to puncture a cats.... Law in Texas, 2nd ed on a wall that will make it difficult intruders! Most protection against theft neighbors Kid keeps Coming into my Yard: what to do only... Find difficult to climb or break through will offer you the most protection against theft boundary fence to! Borrow the neighbour put spikes on shared fence below with your neighbour refuses, the right-hand side of fence..., best to go and talk to them, it was common to see walls! Not, but its something to consider and tresspassing your lunatic prepper of a neighbor spikes the. I mean anything that could cause injury to a fence thats strong and tall tall enough,,! To home and Yard on this site we will assume that you notify your neighbor before installing on! I did think about it and decide how far you would be illegal do...

Is Bindweed Poisonous To Cats, Articles N