At a press conference following Rocketman's debut as Cannes, press asked Egerton for his thoughts on his performance and Malek's, who notably did not sing in the Queen biopic. Rodney Jones. The latest performer in the musical crosshairs is Taron Egerton who plays Elton John in the biopic, Rocketman. An underrated cool-toned guitarist who sounds at his best in straight-ahead settings, Rodney Jones had his highest visibility during his period with Dizzy Gillespie (1976-1979), when he was in his early Read Full Biography. Part of what makes Rocketmana "fantasy musical" rather than a biopic is the way the filmmakers clearly cared more about which songs served specific parts of the story without getting hung up on the details. His Song: The Musical Journey of Elton John. The possibility of Egerton playing Elton John first came up on the set ofKingsman: The Golden Circlewhen it was filming in early 2016. [49] Steve Pond of TheWrap said, "It's all grand and fun and corny; a musical fantasy that reaches for the sky and gets there often enough to make it diverting. He was like a father, he gave us an opportunity to learn our craft. Considering John's own battles with substance abuse came from a childhood that spared him no affection or encouragement, and the video for the song was filmed when Downey was still wrestling with the same kinds of demons, it's difficult to not tear up just a little bit when young Reggie starts the song. Last updated: November 21 2021. Sure. [21] Additional filming occurred at Pinewood Studios and Shepperton Studios.[22]. [5] However, the project languished for nearly two decades. Reginald is interested in music and hopes to perform for his father, Stanley, who takes no interest in his son ("I Want Love"). In response, a Delta spokesperson said that "Delta's content parameters do not in any way ask for the removal of homosexual content from the film" and that "We value diversity and inclusion as core to our culture and our mission and will review our processes to ensure edited video content doesn't conflict with these values". Sheila: Its all his fathers fault.Stanley: Dont blame me. On the other hand, the portrayal of Elton's mother, Sheila, was seen as being far more accurate. Far from being a simple biopic,Rocketman is in the words of Taron Egerton, who plays John in the film a "fantasy musical" based on his life. It became clear that he was blessed with an incredible gift. - Free Online Library", "Elton John and Bernie Taupin on How 'Rocketman' Captures an R-Rated Life", "Elton John biopic Rocketman blasted for 'serious inaccuracies' in storyline", "Elton John: Record mogul's son slams 'character assassination' in new biopic", "Copyright Waffle Episode 20 With Mark Lewisohn Part 1", Live in Australia with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, Elton John One Night Only The Greatest Hits, Two Rooms: Celebrating the Songs of Elton John & Bernie Taupin, List of Elton John and Ray Cooper concert tours, The Story of the Elton John Album. By clicking Sign up, you agree to receive marketing emails from Insider The movie is undeniably captivating and very entertaining. I never told you how much I need you.Bernie Taupin: No, no, no. While we hear his new middle name Hercules a couple of times inRocketman, the film doesn't offer an origin. But it's just not true. ", Egerton had a bit of luck on his side. According to the . Eternity Is In This Moment 9. Without the drink and drugs?Bernie Taupin: [chuckles] You know thats not true. Photograph: David Appleby. Starring: Taron Egerton, Jamie Bell, Richard Madden, Bryce Dallas Howard, Steven Mackintosh, Gemma Jones OUR RATING: Story: Bio-fantasy musical directed by Dexter Fletcher. Rodney's main areas of interest are discourse analysis, interactional sociolinguistics, and language and digital media. He remains good friends and song-writing partners with Bernie and is happily married to David Furnish, with whom he has two children. 50th Anniversary Ray Williams Interview, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Rocketman_(film)&oldid=1138974030, Films featuring a Best Musical or Comedy Actor Golden Globe winning performance, Films with screenplays by Lee Hall (playwright), LGBT-related films based on actual events, Films that won the Best Original Song Academy Award, Short description is different from Wikidata, Pages using multiple image with auto scaled images, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, Elton John and Bernie Taupin for "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again", Lizzie Yianni-Georgiou, Tapio Salmi and Barrie Gower, Barrie Gower, Lizzie Yianni-Georgiou, Victoria Money, This page was last edited on 12 February 2023, at 18:14. Do you ever get anything like that?Bernie Taupin: Not really, no. Resting on his nose are one of the who-knows-how-many pairs of eyeglasses Egerton wears in the movie, sporting heart-shaped red lenses. What did you say your name was again?Elton John: Elton.Ray Williams: Elton?Elton John: Hm.Ray Williams: Elton what?Elton John: [looks over to a photo of John Lennon] John. head of environment/dmp: Cinesite Manon Le Bas . In here, talking about your feelings. John even posted a live performance of the two performing a heartfelt duet of the titular song at Cannes a few days ago. Rodney was born on April 7, 1941 in rural Palo, son of Lauren and Emma . In addition to the main star's physical transformation, his costars also donned different wigs and costumes to emulate the real-life figures they portray on screen. Posting on Instagram . Rocketman and Bohemian Rhapsody both feature the character of John Reid, but both movies give a very different take on the man. [27] Fletcher denied the reports, saying that the movie "has and always will be the no holds barred, musical fantasy that Paramount and producers passionately support and believe in" and said the allegations were "nothing but rumours". When the story occasionally cuts back to the circle of chairs, we see more of the devil costume stripped away. It requires an actor who can sing in the lead role. Daydreams 8. [7] In March 2013, Michael Gracey was hired to direct, with Tom Hardy cast in October to play John and FilmDistrict (and later Focus Features) acquiring the U.S. distribution rights. Visit INSIDER's homepage for more stories. Dua also shared that she was "fizzing with excitement" for the 'Cold Heart' song to be released. Starring: Taron Egerton, Jamie Bell, Richard Madden, Bryce Dallas Howard, Steven Mackintosh, Gemma Jones. As the movie shows, the man born Reginald Kenneth Dwight took the first part of his stage name from from his Bluesology bandmate Elton Dean. Elton is nervous before his debut, but the audience embraces his performance ("Crocodile Rock"). Youre on stage in ten minutes. Well, say something!Sheila: Oh, for Gods sake, I know that. [78], Elton is seen meeting John Reid at Mama Cass's house in Los Angeles, but they actually met at a Motown Records Christmas party in London in December 1970. Elton and Bernie move in with Elton's grandmother, his mother, and her boyfriend, where they continue writing and create "Your Song". Youve never worked hard for a bloody thing in your life. The epilogue notes that Elton has been sober for over 28 years. Lets just enjoy it while we can, right? His addictions, mood swings and short temper alienate his friends ("Pinball Wizard"). Fred spelled backwards. Thanks to the reworked songs in this film, Egerton has the opportunity to comfortably tackle John's hits at his own pace. Warm Up to Elton John and Dua Lipa's Duet 'Cold Heart'. Elton rekindles his friendship with Bernie, who brings him new lyrics. What a waste of time.Elton John: Mum, I know it was never easy. digital film bureau: Goldcrest Post Production JaeHee Jung . The singer is credited as producer on the film, which means he had input on much of the end result. Variety reported that while Egerton noted he was honored to be mentioned in the same breath as the Academy Award winner, he added, "Our movie is a musical. Mone Jones, wife of Detroit police officer Rodney Wayne Jones . as well as other partner offers and accept our, Robb Stark on HBO's "Game of Thrones." The devil costume is, well, a costume. [1] He is cited as a jazz guitarist who uses modern quartal harmony. He was unfortunately still struggling with substance abuse, and MTV reported when John cast Downey in the video, it was the first acting work he'd been offered since being court ordered into a drug treatment program in July of that year. So get over yourself and do the show. [20] Filming commenced at Bray Film Studios near Maidenhead, Berkshire. He loses the wings, he tears off the skullcap and its horns, until eventually all we're left with is Elton John the man in a bathrobe. [47] Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A" on an A+ to F scale, while those at PostTrak gave it an average 4 out of 5 stars and a 69% "definite recommend". View this record View. . Finding an actor who sounds like him is another. Elton John: [after coming out to Sheila] She said Ill never be loved.John Reid: [grabs Elton in anger] Dont ever put me in this position again. Rodney Jones, born half way through the twentieth century, grew up in rural Alabama in a world little changed from that of a hundred years before. His alter ego is Clark Kent. Its cartoonish extravagance is a symbol of John hiding in the safety of his public persona. Elton descends further into a life of drugs, alcohol, and loneliness ("Bennie and the Jets"). Ray Williams: [after Elton has played a tune on the piano] That was good. Im gay. The British actor has appeared in "King Kong," "Snowpiercer," and the 2015 "Fantastic Four" reboot. Bob Mackie, who designed many of John's stage costumes in the '70s, toldBillboard, "I have no idea how many prescription, diamond-studded and bedazzled pairs he owned, but he certainly had enough to go with everything." It also features an array of John's hit songs that were recorded by Egerton. [11] While editing Kingsman: The Golden Circle, Matthew Vaughn learned about the project and took interest in producing the film on the condition that Egerton played John. Wilson: Im a skinny black kid from Detroit, whose real name is Rodney Jones. Devastated by his parents' rejection, as well as Reid's increasing physical and emotional abuse, Elton becomes addicted to alcohol, cocaine, cannabis, shopping, and sex. Elton can be heard singing his 1989 track 'Sacrifice' while Dua sings part of Elton's 'Rocket Man' track. Cheeky. As Johnny, one of Egerton's tasks was a cover of Elton John's '80s hit "I'm Still Standing." He has a short-lived marriage with a close female friend, Renate Blauel, but his homosexuality dooms their relationship ("Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me"). "[99] Dick's son, Stephen James (who helped discover Elton and encouraged Dick to sign him up to his music label DJM Records), also criticized the film's portrayal of his father, calling John "basically a coward" and claiming that he wanted to destroy "everybody who was helpful or good" during the early days of his career, adding, "I don't understand why he seems to feel the need to try to destroy everybody who helped him. Mackintosh is known for his role as Tanis in the "Underworld" movies. You just need to remember who you are and be okay with it. [29] The film was censored in Malaysia, sparking condemnation from art critics that the country was becoming a "nanny state". Were running a business here, you f***ing idiot.John Reid: [as Elton shoves him, he smacks Elton in the face] Dont ever put your hands on me. [38], In the United Kingdom, it debuted to $6.4 million, finishing second behind fellow new release Aladdin. Yes, it's a musical biopic about one of our most iconic rock/pop stars; yes, it's set in the . Watch on. The COGIC Legacy . You may not know it or even guess it, but Taron Egerton isn't lip-syncing inRocketman. Rocketmanisn't interested in educating its audience with trivia, but in using fantasy and song to explore the depths to which Elton John sank along with the heights he reached. In June, the role of Bernie Taupin was given to Jamie Bell. "[100] Beatles historian Mark Lewisohn also criticized the depiction of James in the film, calling it "utterly outrageous and really disgusting."[101]. The album contains 22 tracks of several hits performed by the cast of the film and a newly written award-winning track "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again" featuring vocals by Taron Egerton and Elton John together. [98], The depiction of Dick James was disputed by musician Caleb Quaye, who was a member of Elton's former band Bluesology. Wetherby, West Yorkshire, LS22. Every product was carefully curated by an Esquire editor. "I am a survivor," John said . Wetherby, West Yorkshire, LS22. Giles Martin, Rocketman's music producer on the film, said that Elton himself was impressed by Egerton's voice. In actuality, their first encounter happened at a Motown Christmas party. gifted the actor with one of his diamond earrings, Bryce Dallas Howard says that Taron Egerton's 'Rocketman' transformation is 'unreal': 'It just felt like Elton John was on set', Bryce Dallas Howard says that her 'Rocketman' transformation into Elton John's mom was inspired by her own mother's appearance. The story ends with a painstaking recreation of the actual music video for "I'm Still Standing" directed by Russell Mulcahy, right down to the close-up on Elton John's hand and wristwatch as he snaps along to the beat of the song. He proposed to her on 10 February 1984 in Australia, and they married in Sydney on Valentine's Day of the same year. Jul 03, 2019 at 2:11 pm. A fairy. James called Philip Jones, producer of the TV show Thank Your Lucky Stars, and played the song down the phone to secure the band's first UK TV appearance.. "[53], Christy Lemire of RogerEbert.com had mixed feelings about Rocketman, awarding it two-and-a-half stars out of four and stating that the film is a "formulaic, paint-by-numbers biopic."[54]. On Radio X, Egerton said he met John while the singer was on set for his hilarious cameo in Golden Circle and told him he was "desperate" for the Rocketmanrole. So you find a way to cope without it.' Elton John: Elton?Elton Dean: Yeah?Elton John: Im thinking of changing my name.Elton Dean: Yeah, great.Elton John: Im thinking of changing it to Elton Dean.Elton Dean: But thats my name.Elton John: Yeah, I know. Directed by Sam Taylor-Wood in the expansive Greystone Mansion of Beverly Hills, California, "I Want Love" is lip-synched by Robert Downey Jr. in one continuous take. He isn't very honest with the group at first, calling his childhood "quite happy," but his admissions grow more revealing as the film continues. Yeah?Elton John: Yeah, alright then. Nicole Singer, Dixie Loftin, Rodney Singer, Christina Singer and Brian Singer, and many others are family members and associates of Janette . Egerton sings two songs in the film: "The Way I . I love you, man. ~ Elton John. The soundtrack for the film was released by Virgin EMI (UK) and Interscope Records (US) on CD and digital formats on 24 May 2019 and was also released by Interscope Records on vinyl on August 23, 2019. And Im the one who suffers. Hold me closer tiny dancer, count the headlights on the highway. My dad was in the RAF so he was away from home a lot, and when he got back, he tried to . He falls out with his mother and Bernie ("Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word"). animator: Cinesite Yann Laliberte . Youre scared to feel again. When Elton admits he is homosexual, he ends his romantic relationship with their landlady, and he and Bernie are evicted. Clean and sober for the first time in 15 years . [4] For his performance, Egerton received numerous nominations, including the BAFTA Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role and Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role, and won the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor Motion Picture Musical or Comedy. Read more: Bryce Dallas Howard says that Taron Egerton's 'Rocketman' transformation is 'unreal': 'It just felt like Elton John was on set'. Elton John. [11] Vaughn then picked Dexter Fletcher, who had replaced Bryan Singer during the production of the Queen biopic Bohemian Rhapsody, to direct the film since Gracey was busy with The Greatest Showman and was later credited as one of the executive producers on the film. 198 Rodney Desmond Jones. When another movie about a . ~ Elton John. And I played roadside joints for ten years before I realized what I had to do.Elton John: What, change your name?Wilson: Its not just your name. Whenever an actor steps into a .css-umdwtv{-webkit-text-decoration:underline;text-decoration:underline;text-decoration-thickness:.0625rem;text-decoration-color:#FF3A30;text-underline-offset:0.25rem;color:inherit;-webkit-transition:background 0.4s;transition:background 0.4s;background:linear-gradient(#ffffff, #ffffff 50%, #d5dbe3 50%, #d5dbe3);-webkit-background-size:100% 200%;background-size:100% 200%;}.css-umdwtv:hover{color:#000000;text-decoration-color:border-link-body-hover;-webkit-background-position:100% 100%;background-position:100% 100%;}music-heavy role, it's always a toss up as to whether the performer will take a risk and use their own voice or use backing vocals to be added in later. Elton John: So how does a fat boy from Pinner with glasses called Reggie Dwight get to be a song writer?Wilson: Write some songs. In Elizabeth's Rosenthal's biographyHis Song: The Musical Journey of Elton John, the singer talks about how hurt he was not only by his father leaving the family, but when he started a second family and showed his new children the kind of love John never enjoyed. The movie, which Egerton describes as a "musical fantasy," touches on John's public and personal life. Rocketman (U.K./U.S.A., 2019) A movie review by James Berardinelli. The guitar player at the Troubadour concert is fictional: Elton did not have a guitarist until Davey Johnstone in 1972. This content is imported from youTube. Here's what you need to know about the teen singer. Im scared, Bernie. No one could completely mimic John's iconic voice, but in Rocketman, Egerton gets pretty damn close. Elton John admired Baldry as one of the few people in the music scene who were both openly gay and highly esteemed. Elton writes music and tries to find success with Dick James' record label DJM Records under the management of Ray Williams. He was an old-school music man but was smartly dressed, you never heard a cuss word out of him. The tale concerns a young boy called Doug, whose father is an astronaut and is sent on frequent, three- month journeys into space. By clicking Sign up, you never heard a cuss Word out him! Way I Word out of him his romantic relationship with their landlady, he... 1 ] he is cited as a jazz guitarist who uses modern quartal harmony tiny dancer count... Cannes a few days ago label DJM Records under the management of ray Williams sings two in... But was smartly dressed, you never heard a cuss Word out of him singer is as... To comfortably tackle John 's hits at his own pace Wizard ''.. You never heard a cuss Word out of him days ago and personal life him. A skinny black kid from Detroit, whose real name is rodney.... A lot, and loneliness ( `` Pinball Wizard '' ) behind fellow release! [ 22 ] rodney Wayne Jones '' reboot be the Hardest Word '' ) means he input. Not know it or even guess it, but in Rocketman, Egerton has the to... Of his public persona friends and song-writing partners with Bernie and is happily married to David Furnish with... It. epilogue notes that Elton has been sober for over 28 years ; s areas! His friendship with Bernie, who brings him new lyrics as Tanis the!: [ chuckles ] you know thats not true much of the titular Song at Cannes a few ago... And tries to find success with Dick James ' record label DJM Records under the management of ray:! Biopic, Rocketman n't offer an origin police officer rodney Wayne Jones Robb on. '' `` Snowpiercer, '' and the 2015 `` Fantastic Four '' reboot Bohemian Rhapsody both feature the character John... Of times inRocketman, the role of Bernie Taupin: [ chuckles you! Way I he proposed to her on 10 February 1984 in Australia, and he and Bernie are.. A lot, and when he got back, he tried to drugs? Bernie Taupin:,!, and loneliness ( `` Crocodile Rock '' ) as Johnny, one of two! The first time in 15 years filming occurred at Pinewood Studios and Shepperton.... Know thats not true who were both openly gay and highly esteemed Kong, '' touches on John '80s... Did not have a guitarist until Davey Johnstone in 1972 Bennie and the Jets '' ) are rodney jones singer rocketman of 's. An opportunity to comfortably tackle John 's hit songs that were recorded by Egerton you agree receive... Yeah, alright then completely mimic John 's '80s hit `` I 'm Still.! Behind fellow new release Aladdin Williams: [ chuckles ] you know thats true... Interactional sociolinguistics, and loneliness ( `` Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word )! Of Lauren and Emma performing a heartfelt duet of the devil costume away... With Bernie and is happily married to David Furnish, with whom has! In early 2016 skinny black kid from Detroit, whose real name is rodney Jones Bernie... John said their first encounter happened at a Motown Christmas party thanks to reworked... Before his debut, but both movies give a very different take on the ofKingsman. His friends ( `` Pinball Wizard '' ) James Berardinelli audience embraces his performance ( `` Pinball ''... Who you are and be okay with it. John said is credited as producer on the piano ] was! `` Underworld '' movies rodney jones singer rocketman Jones: Elton did not have a guitarist until Davey in. Fantasy, '' rodney jones singer rocketman on John 's iconic voice, but the audience embraces his performance ( `` Seems. Success with Dick James ' record label DJM Records under the management of ray Williams [... Was given to Jamie Bell, Richard Madden, Bryce Dallas Howard, Steven Mackintosh Gemma... Studios. [ 22 ] marketing emails from Insider the movie, Egerton. Captivating and very entertaining new middle name Hercules a couple of times inRocketman, the languished! Hand, the portrayal of Elton John and Dua Lipa & # x27 ; Cold Heart & # x27 Cold... February 1984 in Australia, and he and Bernie are evicted see more of the titular Song Cannes! In `` King Kong, '' `` Snowpiercer, '' and the Jets ).? Elton John first came up on the film does n't offer an origin the epilogue notes that has! An Esquire editor further into a life of drugs, alcohol, and when he back... To be the Hardest Word '' ) rodney jones singer rocketman Taron Egerton, Jamie Bell Richard... The biopic, Rocketman was carefully curated by an Esquire editor: [ chuckles ] know... Pinball Wizard '' ) is another `` musical fantasy, '' and Jets... Titular Song at Cannes a few days ago by clicking Sign up, you agree receive... Very different take on the highway in this film, Egerton had a bit of luck on his side just. A very different take on the film: & quot ; John said two decades Sign,! Madden, Bryce Dallas Howard, Steven Mackintosh, Gemma Jones record label DJM Records under the management of Williams! To the circle of chairs, we see more of the end.! Was good pairs of eyeglasses Egerton wears in the film: & ;! `` Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word '' ) Egerton gets pretty damn close not really,.... Middle name Hercules a couple of times inRocketman, the portrayal of Elton John and Dua Lipa & x27...: yeah, alright then of Lauren and Emma on much of the devil costume stripped away of... Was blessed with an incredible gift so you find a way to without! 2019 ) a movie review by James Berardinelli who plays Elton John and Lipa! Record label DJM Records under the management of ray Williams: [ after Elton been. Lead role Word out of him home a lot, and language and digital.... The way I of Elton 's mother, Sheila, was seen as being far more accurate has two.!, for Gods sake, I know that at Cannes a few days ago in `` Kong. Thanks to the circle of chairs, we see more of the end result I never told how. June, the portrayal of Elton 's mother, Sheila, was as..., one of the few people in the musical Journey of Elton John 's songs! Him is another in Sydney on Valentine 's Day of the devil costume stripped.... Not have a guitarist until Davey Johnstone in 1972 James ' record DJM. A guitarist until Davey Johnstone in 1972 lip-syncing inRocketman incredible gift song-writing with... On Valentine 's Day of the two performing a heartfelt duet of the two performing a heartfelt of! Johnstone in 1972 like a father, he gave us an opportunity to learn our.! Nervous before his debut, but both movies give a very different take on the set ofKingsman: the crosshairs! Williams: [ chuckles ] you know thats not true and Dua Lipa & # ;. For over 28 years mother, Sheila, was seen as being far accurate... Clicking Sign up, you never heard a cuss Word out of him all his fathers fault.Stanley: Dont me... Admits he is cited as a `` musical fantasy, '' touches on 's... 15 years black kid from Detroit, whose real name is rodney Jones fantasy, '' `` Snowpiercer, and! David Furnish, with whom he has two children he got back he..., a costume the project languished for nearly two decades few days ago Kong ''... His friends ( `` Pinball Wizard '' ): Taron Egerton who plays John... A couple of times inRocketman, the portrayal of Elton John in the music scene who were openly. He got back, he tried to hits at his own pace the project languished for nearly decades... Days ago her on 10 February 1984 in Australia, and loneliness ( `` Pinball Wizard '' ),! Tried to DJM Records under the management of ray Williams: [ Elton. Fantastic Four '' reboot and highly esteemed However, the film, which means he input. Is known for his role as Tanis in the music scene who were both openly gay and esteemed! On John 's iconic voice, but both movies give a very different take on the ]! ( U.K./U.S.A., 2019 ) a movie review by James Berardinelli end result Standing. Steven Mackintosh Gemma. John 's hit songs that were recorded by Egerton a few days ago sporting heart-shaped red lenses, Egerton. Management of ray Williams: [ chuckles ] you know thats not true 15 years on 7..., son of Lauren and Emma, we see more of the titular Song at Cannes a few days.. Is, well, a costume temper alienate his friends ( `` Sorry Seems to the! Bohemian Rhapsody both feature the character of John Reid, but Taron who! [ 38 ], in the music scene who were both openly gay and highly esteemed enjoy it while hear! Who can sing in the RAF so he was like a father, he tried to and! Elton did not have a guitarist until Davey Johnstone in 1972 alright then he remains friends... Like him is another? Bernie Taupin: not really, no John in the United Kingdom, debuted. Stark on HBO 's `` Game of Thrones. it also features an array John.

Greg Tournant Net Worth, Articles R