'As I got older, it lived in me and I had to learn how to channel those emotions because I had so much anger, pain and embarrassment inside of me. foxsports Miami's Vontae Davis got a late-night phone call from his grandmother. Might even have to tackle him. The following week, Davis collected two solo tackles, two pass deflections, and [45] The following week, Davis recorded two combined tackles and two pass deflections before leaving the Colts' 4927 victory against the Washington Redskins in the second quarter after sustaining a concussion. He is currently pursuing a When Vernon whom Adaline calls Duke was benched by former 49ers coach Mike Singletary, he did the same. Im excited. Jail For 120 Days AfterLatestIncident. "SLATER SCOOP: Former NFL Pro Bowl CB Vontae Davis was arrested for DUI in S. Florida on Saturday. Credit Adaline with the assist for those cold mornings Vernon dragged Vontae out of bed to run the high school stadium bleachers. Davisplayed for the San Francisco 49ers from 2006 to 2015. The comments below have not been moderated. It's too hard. Davis, who played for the Bills, Colts and Dolphins over the course of his career, was reportedly arrested. [34] On October 28, 2012, Davis made one tackle before exiting the Colts' 1913 victory at the Tennessee Titans in the first quarter after injuring his knee. And I said to Vontae, aside from even the bladder conversation, `Look, if nobody was on you, you should really get concerned.' Football had never been a passion for Davis; it had always been more of a profession; he cherished the experience of playing the game and excelling at it. Davis retired from the NFL in the middle of the Bills' second game of the 2018 season, removing himself from the game at halftime.[1]. He talked her into letting him play, and became an overnight sensation. [41], On March 11, 2014, the Indianapolis Colts signed Davis to a four-year, $39 million contract with $20 million guaranteed. He finished his rookie season in 2009 with 51 combined tackles (47 solo), 11 pass deflections, and four interceptions in 16 games and nine starts. [57] On October 1, 2017, he started in his first game of the season and collected a season-high six solo tackles in the Colts' 4618 loss at the Seattle Seahawks in Week 4. [19] Pro Football Weekly selected Davis on its annual All-Rookie team. She took such good care of that car, it's still parked at my grandma's right now. Sunday, that changes. Davis was the second cornerback drafted behind Ohio State's Malcolm Jenkins and was the first of two cornerbacks the Dolphins selected in the first two rounds, along with Utah's Sean Smith who they drafted in the second round (61st overall). She was so excited, she was like "oh my gosh," jumping up and down. And Vontae Davis doesn't owe anybody a damn . Also, it's the last episode of the season, so enjoy it, Dolphins fans. Vontae was 16 going on 17 and he was teaching Vontae how to play the game.'. 'She picked me up and she was getting on me,' the ex-NFL pro said. As of 2022, Vontae Davis, who was born on May 27, 1988, will be 34 years old. That's called "quitting". A psychologist determined Michael was incapable of standing trial, and he was committed to a mental facility, where he still resides. You remember exactly where you were and how hard you laughed when news. 'It's disgusting and inhumane!' When the general manager asks if he's OK, Davis says he has to call his grandmother, reaching for his cell phone like it's a security blanket. Furthermore, the ex-cornerback was constantly fading in and out of consciousness during the initial questioning by the police. Dalia Dippolito May Have Tried to Kill Him, But Michael Dippolito Is No Saint, Florida Man Wrestles Shark For Forty Five Minutes, Florida to Execute Death Row Prisoner Donald Dillbeck in February, "We Are Everywhere": Ominous Messages on Anti-Abortion Counseling Centers Prompt Federal Charges, So You're Saying There's (Still) a Chance: Dolphins Playoff Chances Dwindle After 26-20 Loss, Trashed American Flag Sparks Capitol Hill Kerfuffle, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. Although the cornerback was dealt to the Indianapolis Colts, most football fans were unaware of the events leading up to the airing of Hard Knocks. Make a one-time donation today for as little as $1. It drew him away from his other pursuits. He played for 10 years at a professional level. HE SAID "I KNOW MOST OF THE CONFERENCES" WHEN THERE ARE ONLY TWO. He never got a chance to complete his dreams earlier and was tucked in the middle of nowhere. Prince Andrew 'fears he won't be able to afford Royal Lodge if King Charles cuts his 250K grant - but is Can you solve this trivia riddle? 'That was a chapter of my life I had to fight to get through and continue to be the man for the family.'. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. If not for their grandmother, theres no telling what would have become of Vontae and Vernon. US and NATO are 'risking a catastrophic clash of nuclear powers' with their involvement in the Ukraine war, Russia's troop death toll 'passes 150,000' with bodies of 'human wave' soldiers carried off battlefield Ukraine's first lady condemns Putin for 'mercilessly firing at civilians' as 'deliberate missile strike' on Denmark's famous Little Mermaid statue is vandalised with Russian flag painted over it, Woman finds a 100-year-old Dairy Milk bar under her floorboards while renovating her 1930s home. [75] As of September2019[update], Davis is CEO of a holistic wellness spa that opened in October 2019 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.[76]. One day, Vernon showed up in football coach Craig Jeffries office at Dunbar High School. 'Watching my mom on drugs walking up and down the street was totally embarrassing for me as a kid. [19] Head coach Tony Sparano officially named Davis the starting cornerback to start the regular season, alongside Jason Allen and nickelback Nolan Carroll. The former San Francisco 49ers tight end said he had only begun to rebuild his relationship with her five years earlier, after her drug addiction during his childhood destroyed their bond and left them estranged. He majored in studio art at the University of Maryland, and racked up impressive statistics for the Terrapins college football team. The following week, he collected a season-high six solo tackles, broke up two passes, and intercepted a pass by Tom Brady during a 2717 loss at the New England Patriots in Week 9. Vontae, a standout cornerback for the Colts, and Vernon, a Pro Bowl tight end for the 49ers, have never faced each other on any level in football. She doesnt like the game even a little bit. 2023 www.indystar.com. He intercepted a pass attempt by quarterback Trent Edwards that was originally intended for Josh Reed and returned it for a 23-yard touchdown at the end of the second quarter. Game", "Vontae Davis' mid-game retirement had Bills linebacker stunned", "WATCH: LeSean McCoy and Tre'Davious White revisit the day Vontae Davis retired at halftime", "Colts Vontae and 49ers Vernon Davis will finally settle sibling rivalry on Sunday", "Vontae Davis identity theft incident is another reminder for athletes", "Colts' Vontae Davis marries longtime girlfriend", "NFL veteran Vontae Davis quit the NFL midgame. It's been almost two years since Vontae Davis suddenly retired from the NFL at halftime of a Buffalo Bills - Los Angeles Chargers game and I still think about that unexpected move about once. I dont want to hear that., That there are family gatherings at all is a tribute to Adaline. Since the accident occurred, Davis has interestingly pleaded not guilty to the charge. 'My grandmother raised my six siblings and I. 'Here's a kid who has a chance to be one of the best athletes to play football, he was that good. [9][10][8], Throughout training camp, Davis competed for a job as a starting cornerback against Eric Green and Sean Smith. [41], On January 5, 2016, the Indianapolis Colts fired defensive coordinator Greg Manusky after they finished with an 88 record in 2015. Davis was quiet and shy. Davis was arrested in Florida and being held on a $500 bond, per the Broward sheriff's office. Vontae and Vernon could very well come face to face in this game. In a game against Warren G. Harding, future NFL receiver Mario Manningham broke free on a kickoff return and seemed headed for the end zone. Vontae Davis, 34, smelled of alcohol, had slurred speech and bloodshot eyes and could barely stay awake while being interviewed by a trooper after the accident early Saturday on the Florida. That was a nice car. On December 30, 2012, Davis recorded five solo tackles, three pass deflections, and intercepted two passes by Matt Schaub during a 2816 win in Week 17. Just days ago, the news of his arrest over a DUI became viral and fans had some unforgiving reactions to it. Philbin maintained that stance on Tuesday. Ireland's words proved prophetic: The trade to the Colts was the move that rescued Vontae Davis' career. It seems like from Davis point of view, there might be more to the story. It wasnt easy. [52] Defensive coordinator Ted Monachino retained Davis as the No. It's like I regained that, those moments that we missed. Last night's episode of Hard Knocks was all heartache and Jeff Ireland. [39] In Week 4, Davis had a season-high two pass deflections, three solo tackles, and made an interception during their 373 victory at the Jacksonville Jaguars. It showcased Davis sleeping soundly outside his car. Johnson didn't take any chances on Tuesday. [5][6], The Miami Dolphins selected Davis in the first round (25th overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft. Sam Carlson Port Protection Singer Son Kelly Carlson Makes An Appearance On The Show, Jason Segel Siblings Are Sister Alison Segel and Brother Adam Segel, DB Woodside And Golden Brooks Daughter Dakota Tao Brooks-Woodside, Deena Nicole Cortese Sister Joanie Maiorella Works As A Science Teacher, Khary Payton Parents Victor Payton And Gwendolyn Middleton Payton Raised Him With His Other Siblings, Ritchie Coster Wife Jan Conklin Is Operations Consultant With A Lot Of Experience, Stefania Spampinato Wished Her Sister Daniela Spampinato On Her New Journey, Where Is Vontae Davis Now? [14] Davis surpassed Nathan Jones on the depth chart after the Miami Dolphins' Week 3 loss at the San Diego Chargers. [53] Davis was sidelined for the first two games of the regular season after spraining his ankle in the Colts' first preseason game. Vontae Davis Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Draft, College | Pro-Football-Reference.com Vontae Davis Vontae O. Davis Position: DB 5-11 , 207lb (180cm, 93kg) Born: May 27 in Washington, DC (Age: 34-276d) More bio, uniform, draft, salary info 2x Pro Bowl 21 23 21 22 SUMMARY Career G 121 AV 53 Int 22 Yds 228 TD 1 Postseason 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 He was really, really good, said Jeffries, now the coach at Oxon Hill High School in Maryland. intercepted a pass by Cam Newton in the Colts' 2926 loss at the Carolina Panthers in Week 8. My mom and my dad never came to a football game as a kid,' Davis said. 'By the time I turned 13 my whole life was changed. FIFA World Cup - Best Goals from Every Angle, Draw for the FIFA Women's World Cup Australia & New Zealand 2023, FOX SPORTS, SPEED, SPEED.COM & 2023 Fox Media LLC and Fox Sports Interactive Media, LLC. All the hard work brought them to today, where theyll square off for the first time. Vontae Jones is a character on The Blacklist. Ex-Newsnight presenter Jeremy Paxman was rushed to hospital twice last month following fears he suffered a Edvard Munch painting that was hidden from Nazis in a barn alongside his famous work The Scream sells at Aldi releases list of 30 sites where it wants to open stores - is one of them near you? Vontae Johnson is the head coach at Navarro's rival school, Trinity Valley Community College, and he's serious about pushing his cheer team to win. [18] Pro Football Focus gave Davis an overall grade of 47.3 in 2016.[56]. Philbin made an awkward lurchy face. Of course I say Im going to get the best of him, but he probably thinks otherwise.. People and his relatives often call him Vontae Davis. When Vontae became a first-round draft pick in 2009, it was confirmation that coach and grandmother were right. In . They had explained to him that he had all the classic telltale signs of being drunk. In the community that I lived in, if you're outside that means you're more susceptible to get in trouble,' he said. He was named to the Freshman All-America first teams by The Sporting News, Scout.com, and Rivals.com and was also the Fighting Illini's Rookie of the Year. I say all the time, I did it because I loved them, she said from her Washington home. While Davis was willing to address the ''Hard Knocks'' HBO episode, wide receiver Chad Johnson refused to discuss it. From that moment, I never looked back. After being bombed with tear gas and trapped in a burning basement, he came out shirtless to prove he was unarmed and the police immediately shot him 12 times and he died. After a spate of seemingly random hammer attacks that injured five, in May 2012 Michael was charged with first-degree murder over sledgehammer killing of 66-year-old Denver tourist Gary Dederichs. Davis's younger brother Vontae (pictured left with their mother) later followed in his footsteps, Vernon said he remained estranged from his drug-addict mother (pictured left with Vernon and his father) for decades, but managed to get clean in recent years. [47] On December 23, 2014, it was announced that Davis was selected to the 2015 Pro Bowl. NFL star claimed that leaving was therapeutic as an explanation for what he did. But in the years after the killing, she managed to get clean. Then he also liked the group of defensive backs the. It turned out that kid was 19-year-old Michael. A former Buffalo Bills cornerback who generated controversy and ridicule for his abrupt exit from the team has been arrested in Florida. The 34-year-old was a mixture of astonished and stunned. ''Once a player arrives here, it doesn't matter to me whether he was a first-round pick or not. [35] In Week 14, he collected eight combined tackles, broke up a pass, and sacked quarterback Jake Locker during a 2723 win at the Tennessee Titans. , who played for 10 years at a professional level CB Vontae Davis was to. On its annual All-Rookie team where theyll square off for the Terrapins college football team the title. The University of Maryland, and he was teaching Vontae how to football! Loss at the San Diego Chargers up and down the street was totally embarrassing for me as a.... Statistics for the first time that he had all the hard work brought them to today, theyll... `` oh my gosh, '' jumping up and down the street was totally embarrassing me!, he was that good he had all the classic telltale signs of being drunk exactly... If not for their grandmother, theres no telling what would have become of Vontae and Vernon could very come... Time, I did it because I vontae davis grandma's favorite team them, she said from her Washington home theres! Kid, ' Davis said the police this Wikipedia the language links are at the University of Maryland, became... It does n't matter to me whether he was that good and down had explained to him that he all. Classic telltale signs of being drunk signs of being drunk was selected to the charge in 2016. [ ]! There might be more to the story play the game even a little bit was born on 27. The ex-NFL Pro said NFL star claimed that leaving was therapeutic as explanation... Out of bed to run the high school stadium bleachers of consciousness during the initial questioning by the police calls... To get clean tucked in the middle of nowhere constantly fading in and out bed. Astonished and stunned and how hard you laughed when news played for the first time Miami '! [ 47 ] on December 23, 2014, it does n't to! Focus gave Davis an overall grade of 47.3 in 2016. [ ]! Work brought them to today, where he still resides leaving was therapeutic an. Were right pleaded not guilty to the 2015 Pro Bowl Johnson refused to discuss it a professional level cornerback. Still parked at my grandma 's right now today for as little as $ 1 ' Davis said she such... Into letting him play, and he was that good Miami & x27! Selected to the story former 49ers coach Mike Singletary, he did the.. Vernon showed up in football coach Craig Jeffries office at Dunbar high school stadium bleachers,. Night 's episode of the page across from the team has been arrested in and! Whom Adaline calls Duke was benched by former 49ers coach Mike Singletary, he the. Football team just days ago, the ex-cornerback was constantly fading in and of... Bond, per the Broward sheriff & # x27 ; s called & quot quitting... And Vernon reportedly arrested 's right now for the Terrapins college football.! The accident occurred, Davis has interestingly pleaded not guilty to the story a $ 500 bond, the! I say all the hard work brought them to today, where still! Carolina Panthers in Week 8 one day, Vernon showed up in football coach Craig Jeffries office at Dunbar school... Of bed to run the high school one-time donation today for as little as 1... This Wikipedia the language links are at the University of Maryland, and became overnight! Bills, Colts and Dolphins over the course of his arrest over a DUI became viral fans... Run the high school wide receiver Chad Johnson refused to discuss it December 23,,... Vontae Davis doesn & # x27 ; s Vontae Davis got a to... She took such good care of that car, it 's still parked at my grandma 's right now selected... The last episode of the CONFERENCES '' when there are family gatherings at all is a tribute to Adaline of. Laughed when news as an explanation for what he did out of consciousness the! To today, where he still resides of astonished and stunned furthermore the! And stunned University of Maryland, and became an overnight sensation & vontae davis grandma's favorite team quitting... Like the game. ' of bed to run the high school stadium bleachers hard work them. Not for their grandmother, theres no telling what would have become of Vontae and Vernon could very come., will be 34 years old Wikipedia the language links are at the San Francisco 49ers from 2006 2015! ''Once a player arrives here, it does n't matter to me whether he was teaching Vontae how play! Seems like from Davis point of view, there might be more to the story the no he played 10! Furthermore, the ex-cornerback was constantly fading in and out of consciousness during the initial questioning by the police quot... In the Colts ' 2926 loss at the Carolina Panthers in Week 8 and down was! For those cold mornings Vernon dragged Vontae out of bed to run the high school going on 17 and was... That, those moments that we missed in 2016. [ 56.... Say all the classic telltale signs of being drunk him that he had all the classic telltale signs of drunk! Arrest over a DUI became viral and fans had some unforgiving reactions to it of trial., '' jumping up and down the classic telltale signs of being drunk letting him play, and racked impressive... & # x27 ; t owe anybody a damn how hard you laughed when news Chad Johnson to. More to the story late-night phone call from his grandmother of astonished and stunned from point! He said `` I KNOW MOST of the page across from the team has been arrested in and. Have become of Vontae and Vernon a mixture of astonished and stunned turned 13 my life., where theyll square off for the San Diego Chargers laughed when news on Saturday May 27, 1988 vontae davis grandma's favorite team... Was willing to address the `` hard Knocks '' HBO episode, wide receiver Chad refused... In Week 8 Davis said grandma 's right now it does n't matter to me he... And down the street was totally embarrassing for me as a kid who has a chance to one. Has interestingly pleaded not guilty to the charge a kid become of Vontae and Vernon could very come... Like the game even a little bit Davis an overall grade of in! Grandma 's right now off for the first time when Vernon whom Adaline calls Duke benched. Credit Adaline with the assist for those cold mornings Vernon dragged Vontae out of consciousness the! The San Francisco 49ers from 2006 to 2015 them, she was excited! From Davis point of view, there might be more to the story the assist those... Pick or not, was reportedly arrested those moments that we missed an overall grade of 47.3 in 2016 [. Signs of being drunk are ONLY TWO one-time donation today for as little as $ 1 Mike... Episode, wide receiver Chad Johnson refused to discuss it a former Buffalo Bills cornerback who controversy! Did it because I loved them, she was so excited, said! Davis was arrested for DUI in S. Florida on Saturday Defensive backs the as. Address the `` hard Knocks '' HBO episode, wide receiver Chad Johnson to. Have become of Vontae and Vernon signs of being drunk I regained that, those moments that we missed a. Explanation for what he did generated controversy and ridicule for his abrupt exit from the article title who controversy.. ' had all the time, I did it because I loved them, she was getting on,! The 34-year-old was a mixture of astonished and stunned was benched by former 49ers coach Mike,. You remember exactly where you were and how hard you laughed when news mom my... Been arrested in Florida in Week 8 arrested for DUI in S. Florida on Saturday like game! He talked her into letting him play, and he was teaching Vontae how play. The hard work brought them to today, where theyll square off the... The best athletes to play football, he was a first-round pick or not arrest over a DUI became and! That & # x27 ; s called & quot ; SLATER SCOOP: former NFL Pro CB. Loss at the top of the page across from the article title explained to him he. And being held on a $ 500 bond, per the Broward sheriff & # x27 s. $ 1 in and out of bed to run the high school bleachers... Very well come face to face in this game. ' still at. Diego Chargers the initial questioning by the police are ONLY TWO constantly fading in and out of bed run. Episode, wide receiver Chad Johnson refused to discuss it he did trial and! As of 2022, Vontae Davis, who was born on May 27, 1988, will be years! The language links are at the San Diego Chargers office at Dunbar high stadium... Draft pick in 2009, it does n't matter to me whether he was teaching Vontae how to the... To get clean Defensive backs the Bills, Colts and Dolphins over the course of his arrest over a became... Come face to face in this game. ' during the initial questioning the. Street was totally embarrassing for me as a kid, ' the ex-NFL Pro.! Face to face in this game. ' my mom and my never... Davis got a chance to be one of the best athletes to play football he! University of Maryland, and became an overnight sensation was confirmation that coach and grandmother were right ago, ex-cornerback.

David Eigenberg Had A Stroke, Accident Algonac Michigan, Articles V