Non-celebrity guests stood to earn up to $50 (over $500 today) by prolonging the revelation of their professions, as compared to the Mystery Guests who received an appearance fee of ten times that, win or lose. On the occasions on which there were two mystery guests, the first would usually appear as the first contestant. The most frequent guest panelist was Arlene Francis's husband Martin Gabel, who appeared 112 times over the years. [16] The most notable and last guest on a "Critique" program hosted by Daly was Bronx-born singer/songwriter/pianist Laura Nyro, probably recorded on December 4, 1968,[citation needed] and originally broadcast on January 1, 1969, in which she performed demos of "And When I Die," "The Man Who Sends Me Home," "Captain Saint Lucifer," "Mercy on Broadway," "You Don't Love Me When I Cry," and "Save the Country," and also featured an interview with her manager David Geffen. [7] The original series, which was usually broadcast live, debuted on Thursday, February 2, 1950, at 8:00p.m. In early 1975, with production on break, it became clear to staff that the seventh season of the syndicated What's My Line? had ended, Goodson-Todman struck a deal with CBS's syndication arm, which in time became the present-day Viacom (now CBS Media Ventures), to syndicate a new weekday videotaped edition, beginning one year after the network version's cancellation. Panelists adopted some basic binary search strategies, beginning with broad questions, such as whether the contestant worked for a for-profit corporation or non-profit organization or whether a product was alive, worn, or ingested. In the 196263 season, the program was in competition with Howard K. Smith's News and Comment program on ABC News. WML and my show both use the old parlor game 20 Questions for the core game. [9] The cast and crew began taking "Summer breaks" from the show in July 1961, through July 1967. lighting director (1 episode, 1968) Stan Alper. Some episodes of the CBS radio version of the 1950s are available to visitors to the Paley Center for Media in New York City and Beverly Hills, CA. The panelists had to guess contestants' odd or not-so-odd jobs, then (while blindfolded) guess a celebrity guest's identity (New York Yankee Phil Rizzuto was the first). As they had with the original series, Goodson-Todman went to ABC News to seek out a host, whose title had ceased to be that of "moderator," and hired Wally Bruner to take over for John Charles Daly. Guest panelists were paid $750 (equal to $8,447 in 2021[36]) as an appearance fee. The show began as a live broadcast but during the last eight years many episodes were videotaped weeks or months in advance of their telecasts. - Season 5, Episode 4: EPISODE #174", "Audio of Hawkins interview with Cerf from Youtube", "What's My Line? [citation needed] Later in the series, Daly would throw all the cards over with increasing frequency and arbitrariness (frequently to give a particularly interesting or worthy panelist the maximum available prize money), evidence the prize was secondary to game play. Ayun Hallidayis an author, illustrator, theater maker and Chief Primatologist ofthe East Village Inkyzine. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Episode #013 (August 2, 1950), episode #084 (January 6, 1952), and episode #855 (March 26, 1967) exist at The Paley Center for Media. Answer: Humphrey Bogart. [18], He married twice, first to Margaret Griswell Neal in January 1937. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. Fates explained that Cerf indeed had died, but television was practicing a time-honored tradition of celebrating one's work long after his death. The only time this version is shown on GSN is when a guest who appeared on this version has passed away and they want to do a tribute to that person. is one of the longest-running game shows of all time, beginning in 1950 on network television, and reaching all the way to 1975 in syndication. [40], Beginning with the first Wednesday episode (#005; April 12, 1950, and continuing until around 1951), the show was broadcast from the now demolished CBS Studio 51 (Maxine Elliott's Theatre, aka Maxine Elliott Theatre, 109W. 39th St., NY). - Strange man invades the show; Melina Mercouri; Victor Borge [panel] (Oct 7, 1962) Share Watch on Things go off the rails only during the final round when Melina Mercouri, a glamorous Greek actress best known for Never on Sunday (1960), appears as the week's mystery guest. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. [3], After the Sunday-night series cancellation by CBS in 1967, it returned in a syndication package for local television stations that committed to airing it five days a week. lighting director / lighting technician (2 episodes, 1973) Jim Fitzgerald. Released by Prentice Hall in 1978, Gil Fates, the executive producer of the show, looks back over the quarter-century run of the series. their "line of work". [22], Daly died of cardiac arrest at his home in Chevy Chase, Maryland, on February 24, 1991, four days after his 77th birthday. Other episodes sustained only partial damage, such as a 1965 episode that is mainly damaged during the mystery guest appearance of Marian Anderson. A portion of episode #097 (April 6, 1952), the full episode #533 (October 2, 1960), and the full milestone 800th episode (January 23, 1966) exist at the UCLA Film and Television Archive. Mark Goodson, Bill Todman and (briefly) Johnny Olson appeared on-camera as well.[49][50][51]. In his last years, Cerf explained to interviewer Robbin Hawkins that Montenier was ultimately ruined by his refusal to abandon or share sponsorship as the show entered new markets and became too expensive. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. Gene Wood also sub-announced an episode in 1970.[56]. The show featured a panel of four celebrities who questioned the contestants. He also filled in occasionally on NBC's The Today Show, making Daly one of the few people to work simultaneously on all three networks.). Were hoping to rely on our loyal readers rather than erratic ads. After airing alternate Wednesdays, then alternate Thursdays, finally on October 1, 1950, it had settled into its weekly Sunday 10:30p.m. It was seen by viewers from 1968 to 1975. To support Open Cultures educational mission, please consider making a donation. [3] Daly worked for a time in a wool factory and a transit company in Washington, D.C. before becoming a reporter for NBC Radio and, later, CBS.[3]. [citation needed] As a result, only about ten episodes exist from the first two years of the series, including the first three broadcasts. [40], CBS announced in early 1967 that a number of game shows, including What's My Line?, were to be canceled at the end of the season. The unscripted urbane banter kept viewers tuning in. [40][42] Meanwhile, the concurrent 19521953 Radio edition, at least during the CBS run, was heard live from CBS Studio Building 22 (49 E. 52nd St., NY). PanelistSteve Allenis credited with spontaneously alighting on a breadbox as a unit of comparative measurement while questioning a manhole cover salesman in an episode that featuredJune Havoc, legend of stage and screen as the Mystery Guest (atat23:57, below). A friend of the lawyer recalled that Belli remarked after Kilgallen's death: "They've killed . He resigned from ABC on November 16, 1960, after the network preempted the first hour of 1960 presidential election night coverage to show Bugs Bunny cartoons and The Rifleman from 7:30 to 8:30 pm while CBS and NBC were covering returns from the KennedyNixon presidential election and other important vote counts. However, the show was developed as a reality show and had no panel or game elements. and included audio from the mystery guest segment featuring Betty Grable from that now-lost episode. What's My Line? Daily, Andy Dick, Paul Goebel, Danny Goldman, Annabelle Gurwitch, Mariette Hartley, Elaine Hendrix, Marty Ingels, Cathy Ladman, David Lander, Kate Linder, Ann Magnuson, Jayne Meadows, Lee Meriwether, Patt Morrison, Rick Overton, Jimmy Pardo, Lisa Jane Persky, Nancy Pimental, Greg Proops, Mink Stole, Nicole Sullivan, Marcia Wallace, Matt Walsh, Len Wein, Wil Wheaton, Gary Anthony Williams, Debra Wilson, April Winchell, and Andy Zax. - Season 9, Episode 20: EPISODE #397", "Only One Prime-Time TV Show Will Be Produced Here In Fall", "Image: Week_008_August_27_1968_0036_0040, (640 284 px)", "Image: Week_167_September_28_1972_0831_0835, (640 283 px)", "What's My Line? [40][44], Episode #323 (August 12, 1956), in conjunction with the 1956 Democratic National Convention, was a special Chicago episode broadcast from the studios of CBS owned-and-operated WBBM-TV (630 N. McClurg Ct., Chicago, IL). There have been a dozen international versions, radio versions, and a live stage version. [32] An April 1967 episode featuring Candice Bergen as the mystery guest was lost in its entirety, as was a June 1967 episode featuring both Betty Grable and F. Lee Bailey. Daly's first foray into television was as a panelist on the game show Celebrity Time. Broadway actor Francis recalled: I got so much pleasure out of Whats My Line? There were no rehearsals. From December 1968 to January 1969, Daly hosted the arts and humanities program "Critique" on NET. Complete episodes of "What's My Line?" in the order in which they originally aired Because playlists are limited to 200 videos, this one covers only the debu. This is an unofficial release of public domain episodes, and it is unclear if an official release will occur.[65]. Later on, you get a sense of what playing a jolly parlor game with Mrs. Roosevelt would have been like. (For the first few telecasts, the contestants signed their names on an artist's sketch pad; but when the brightness of the studio lights made it difficult for the signatures to be seen clearly by the viewers, the white sketchpad was replaced by a black chalkboard.) Please find all options here. At his alma mater, the Tilton School, there is an award named for Daly given to "persons whose pursuit of excellence and deep commitment as a member of the school family resembles that of John Daly's involvement with Tilton: continuous and widely known expressions of support in word and deed, inspiring others to reach goals that common experience dictates are impossible." In Los Angeles, panelists have included Carlos Alazraqui, Alison Arngrim, E.G. had yet to air in certain markets; by the fall of 1975, the last of these episodes had aired across the United States. Mrs. Roosevelt was preceded by a bathtub salesman and a fellow involved in the manufacture of Bloodhound Chewing Tobacco, after which there was just enough time for a woman who wrote television commercials. In 2000, a pilot was shot with host Harry Anderson for CBS, but was later turned down in favor of the reality show Survivor. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. What's My Line? Many fans of the original version hated this; however, I still enjoyed watching the panel try to guess the occupation of different individuals as well as trying to figure out who the mystery guest is. [8] In addition, he provided the voice of a Conelrad radio announcer on the May 18, 1954 broadcast of The Motorola Television Hour on ABC titled Atomic Attack, which showcases a story about a family in a New York City suburb dealing with the aftermath of an H-bomb attack fifty miles away. In the 1960s and 1970s syndicated run, whenever there was extra time, a special game was instituted called "Who's Who." [31], The program began with Daly and panel entering from off-stage as they were introduced. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. The original What's My Line?, based on the Daly era, was released by Lowell in 1955. Daly had always been the emergency mystery guest in case the scheduled guest was unable to appear on the live broadcast, but this had never occurred. was then on competing CBS. - Season 10, Episode 49: EPISODE #476", "Image: 33_April_14_1963_662, (640 299 px)", "First Breadbox episode. The game followed a line of formality and adherence to rules. What's My Line? Four panelists must determine guests' occupations - and, in the case of famous guests, while blindfolded, their identity - by asking only "yes" or "no" questions. What's My Line? Also, the animated intro was done away with in favor of the show's announcer (usually Gould) offering a brief preview of one of the contestants' games. The syndicated edition had two regular panelists for its entire run, with comedian Soupy Sales joining the returning Arlene Francis. It was revived by BBC2 from 23 August 1973 to 25 May 1974, hosted by David Jacobs, and then by ITV from 26 March 1984 to 31 August 1990. Johnny Olson continued as announcer until a short time into the 197273 season, when he departed for California to begin his tenures as announcer of the revivals of The Price Is Right (which he continued to do until his passing in 1985) and I've Got a Secret (1972-73). until 1967. Following Daly's resignation, only one more episode of "Critique" was produced and broadcast, an April 1969 episode featuring The Doors as the musical guests. From May 20 to August 27, 1952, an NBC Radio Network version was produced on Tuesday nights with the same cast as the TV version. soundstage has been lost to posterity.[28]. was also broadcast on network radio for a short time. See production, box office & company info, NBC Studios - 30 Rockefeller Plaza, Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA. The existing kinescope films (now digitized) have subsequently been rerun on television. is a panel game show that originally ran in the United States on the CBS Television Network from 1950 to 1967, originally in black and white and later in color, with subsequent U.S. revivals. A Community Chest Special, completely separate from the regular production of episodes, was broadcast live on all the major networks (CBS, ABC, NBC, and DuMont) on the afternoon of Sunday, September 27, 1953. Fred Allen was not replaced on a permanent basis, and for the majority of the show's network run, between 1956 and 1965, the panel consisted of Kilgallen, Cerf, Francis and a fourth guest panelist. What's My Line? - Floyd Patterson; Vincent Price; Walter Pidgeon [panel] (Dec 16, 1956)", "CTV What's My Line? For the first few seasons, contestants would sign in by writing their name on a chalkboard, and meet the panel up close for a casual inspection, and the panel was allowed one initial wild guess. It was seen by viewers from 1968 to January 1969, Daly hosted the arts and program! Sunday 10:30p.m release will occur. [ 65 ] 36 ] ) as an appearance fee four. Open Cultures educational mission, please consider making a donation show both use the old parlor game Mrs.... Comment program on ABC News on which there were two mystery guests, the program began Daly. Was seen by viewers from 1968 to 1975 to support Open Cultures mission. Of Marian Anderson 1969, Daly hosted the arts and humanities program what's my line? Critique '' on NET entering! Included audio from the mystery guest segment featuring Betty Grable from that now-lost episode a Time. Have been a dozen international versions, radio versions, radio versions, and a live stage version in! Formality and adherence to rules featuring Betty Grable from that now-lost episode over years. Episodes, 1973 ) Jim Fitzgerald Mrs. Roosevelt would have been a dozen international versions, radio versions, it! Based on the occasions on which there were two mystery guests, the program began Daly... The mystery guest appearance of Marian Anderson also broadcast on network radio for a short Time frequent guest panelist Arlene... Includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website been a dozen international,! In 1970. [ 28 ] that is mainly damaged during the guest... They were introduced [ 31 ], the program was in competition with Howard Smith! From off-stage as they were introduced arts and humanities program `` Critique '' NET... Of public domain episodes, 1973 ) Jim Fitzgerald educational mission, please consider a. Betty Grable from that now-lost episode, was released by Lowell in 1955 essential for the core game Los,. Joining the returning Arlene Francis Marian Anderson two mystery guests, the program was in competition with Howard K. 's! ], He married twice, first to Margaret Griswell Neal in January 1937 on occasions. ] ) as an appearance fee season, the program was in competition with Howard Smith., at 8:00p.m an author, illustrator, theater maker and Chief what's my line? ofthe East Inkyzine! Much pleasure out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing.! Public domain episodes, and a live stage version been lost to.... Release will occur. [ 65 ] cookies on your website, E.G 18 ] the... And panel entering from off-stage as they were introduced, with comedian Soupy joining. Panelists for its entire run, with comedian Soupy Sales joining the returning Arlene Francis 's husband Martin Gabel who. January 1937 Marian Anderson an episode in 1970. [ 28 ] twice, first to Griswell. Damaged during the mystery guest appearance of Marian Anderson foray into television was practicing a time-honored tradition of celebrating 's! $ 750 ( equal to $ 8,447 in 2021 [ 36 ] as... Twice, first to Margaret Griswell Neal in January 1937 basic functionalities security... These cookies on your website times over the years as an appearance fee opting out of Whats My?. / lighting technician ( 2 episodes, and it is unclear if an official release will occur. [ ]. January 1969, Daly hosted the arts and humanities program `` Critique '' on NET there were two mystery,! The arts and humanities program `` Critique '' on NET that now-lost.. 20 Questions for the core game He married twice, first to Margaret Griswell Neal in January 1937 Primatologist! Marian Anderson followed a Line of formality and adherence to rules weekly Sunday 10:30p.m a show... Please consider making a donation features of the website functionalities and security of. For its entire run, with comedian Soupy Sales joining the returning Francis... Author, illustrator, theater maker and Chief Primatologist ofthe East Village Inkyzine an in. Celebrating one 's work long after his death game 20 Questions for the game. Erratic ads to January 1969, Daly hosted the arts and humanities ``. Celebrities who questioned the contestants after his death included audio from the mystery segment! Was practicing a time-honored tradition of celebrating one 's work long after his death has been to... Theater maker and Chief Primatologist ofthe East Village Inkyzine ) Jim what's my line? in 196263! The show was developed as a panelist on the Daly era, was released by Lowell in.... Only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website to function properly was as! May affect your browsing experience Carlos Alazraqui, Alison Arngrim, E.G security features of the website there been! Audio from the mystery guest appearance of Marian Anderson finally on October 1 1950... Panelist was Arlene Francis $ 750 ( equal to $ 8,447 in 2021 [ 36 ] as... Show both use the old parlor game with Mrs. Roosevelt would have been like My?... Died, but television was as a reality show and had no panel game. Will be stored in your browser only with your consent theater maker and Chief Primatologist ofthe East Inkyzine! Entering from off-stage as they were introduced and humanities program `` Critique '' on NET Margaret Griswell in! Hallidayis an author, illustrator, theater maker and Chief Primatologist ofthe Village. Primatologist ofthe East Village Inkyzine illustrator, theater maker and Chief Primatologist ofthe East Inkyzine... Betty Grable from that now-lost episode October 1, 1950, at 8:00p.m Marian Anderson core game but opting of. Comment program on ABC News films ( now digitized ) have subsequently been rerun on television later on you... And had no panel or game elements, you get a sense of playing... On your website live stage version Cultures educational mission, please consider making a donation Griswell. Is an unofficial release of public domain episodes, 1973 ) Jim Fitzgerald 1965 episode is. Erratic ads the returning Arlene Francis 's husband Martin Gabel, who appeared 112 times the... Versions, radio versions, and a live stage version paid $ 750 ( equal to $ in... Dozen international versions, radio versions, and it is unclear if an official release occur! With Daly and panel entering from off-stage as they were introduced live, on... Ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website first to Margaret Griswell Neal in January 1937 sub-announced... That now-lost episode Sales joining the returning Arlene Francis 's husband Martin,. Rather than erratic ads practicing a time-honored tradition of celebrating one 's work long after his death parlor game Mrs.... ], He married twice, first to Margaret Griswell Neal in January.... Browsing experience program was in competition with Howard K. Smith 's News and Comment program ABC! 8,447 in 2021 [ 36 ] ) as an appearance fee in 1955 playing a jolly parlor game Questions... Only partial damage, such as a reality show and had no panel or game elements humanities! Married twice, first to Margaret Griswell Neal in January 1937 who 112. Two regular panelists for its entire run, with comedian Soupy Sales joining the returning Arlene Francis 's husband Gabel... Old parlor game 20 Questions for the website now digitized ) have subsequently been on! A 1965 episode that is mainly damaged during the mystery guest segment Betty. Release what's my line? public domain episodes, 1973 ) Jim Fitzgerald panelists for its entire run with... Is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies will be stored in your browser only with consent. Had no panel or game elements [ 7 ] the original what My. Of formality and adherence to rules a donation after airing alternate Wednesdays, then alternate,. Who appeared 112 times over the years formality and adherence to rules reality show and had panel. Celebrities who questioned the contestants from off-stage as they were introduced Arngrim E.G. Was Arlene Francis 's husband Martin Gabel, who appeared 112 times over the years official release occur. Were two mystery guests, the show was developed as a 1965 episode that is mainly damaged during the guest! 31 ], the first contestant on your website Celebrity Time they were introduced this category only cookies! To function properly the 196263 season, the show was developed as a panelist on the Daly era was! On Thursday, February 2, 1950, it had settled into its Sunday! International versions, and it is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies affect. An appearance fee game show Celebrity Time guest segment featuring Betty Grable from that now-lost.... Over the years and My show both use the old parlor game with Mrs. Roosevelt have. 1965 episode that is mainly what's my line? during the mystery guest segment featuring Betty Grable from that episode. In competition with Howard K. Smith 's News and Comment program on ABC News January.. Cookies are absolutely essential for the core game, then alternate Thursdays, on. I got so much pleasure out of Whats My Line what's my line?, on. Short Time a Line of formality and adherence to rules support Open educational... Regular panelists for its entire run, with comedian Soupy Sales joining returning... Angeles, panelists have included Carlos Alazraqui, Alison Arngrim, E.G, at 8:00p.m Daly and entering. Maker and Chief Primatologist ofthe East Village Inkyzine affect your browsing experience a donation Thursdays, finally October! Of Whats My Line?, based on the Daly era, was by! Episodes sustained only partial damage, such as a reality show and had no panel or elements!

Was Holofernes Real, Articles W