Yes, a groundhog can attack a dog if they feel threatened and cornered. There's no right way to feel when one loses a dog. As responsible owners, its our job to be physically and mentally prepared for these situations and at least try our best. If you have control over your dog and have trained them well, only then try to stop him from fighting the groundhog. Whether you know what is causing this aggressive behavior or not, consulting a behaviorist will be necessary to deal with it. Customer: my dog was bitten by a groundhog in virginia, my dog has had a rabies shot, should i be conserned about anything else? No need to worry about your furry family member. While rare, the effects of this disease can be serious. The owners have offered nothing not even remorse ( Briar couldn't get up an walk on his own without help for,48hrs +). Sometimes, reporting the dog bite will serve as a fair warning to the dogs owner that they need to take better steps to control their dogs behavior and keep everyone safe. While the muzzle often has a negative connotation, its truly a wonderful tool. Due to natural instinct, it will attack whenever it sees a rodent, like a groundhog. I have seen people screaming at the top of their lungs when their dog is being attacked which is one of the most counterproductive things you can do. Use of Epsom Salt: Groundhogs usually reside inside the ground by making holes in the ground. Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. The Ides of March. If your dog killed a groundhog, he might be at risk of getting fleas, roundworms, ticks, rabies, and tularemia, which these rodents carry. Nothing happened. Dog was outside when she spotted a groundhog, she cornered it and began bark and attacking it. How Do Groundhogs Dig Holes In The Ground? No one wants a groundhog around their house. I'd be more concerned with the maintenance guy who thought he had to intervene in that way. His tongue was bleeding, and he was definitely in contact with some of the groundhogs blood unfortunately. Depending on your local law, you shouldnt count on that though, especially if you have a breed thats affected by breed-specific legislation. Lets cover how to stop a dog attack, as well as how to handle the aftermath no matter if your dog was the aggressor or the one being attacked. Add New Sources of Food. Many people respond back with its OK my dog is friendly! If you find yourself in this situation, a simple my dog isnt! usually gets the point across. Copy. Under normal circumstances, the owner might not be liable for the attack. Separate Your Dog From The Carcass. Hi Kat, when it comes to liability, it'd be really important to know if there's a bite history with that dog and if the beach was truly a designated off-leash area (not just where people commonly walk their dogs off-leash). If the attacking dog is already listed as a "dangerous dog," the owner may be responsible for harboring an aggressive or violent animal and held liable for any damages or veterinary bills. Friend dog needed rabies shot was overdue. While its a scary event to witness a dog fight, it often feels even worse when its your own dog that attacked another dog. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. Sealing the exits to the burrow won't work as these animals are natural burrowers that will dig out another exit without any fuss at all . If you leave the spot where your dog has received a bite from the groundhog untreated and do not sanitize it, then the infections can prove to be deadly for your dog. 9. Hitman. Fortunately, dogs will often encourage groundhogs to stay away. Maybe you can get them to share costs if they do it on their own volition, you may have to contact a lawyer regarding your chances of recouping money but it's hard without finding the owners. I ran in and tried to pry apart his jaws with my hands (risky, I know, but I was panicked and he wouldn't let Archie go). Some of the common signs of groundhog activity are: Groundhogs use their sharp claws to dig their burrows. While they are not one of the most common vectors of the virus, a rabid groundhog isn't a pretty site and they will attack a person . was he leashed and viciously attacked or not). It depends on a lot of factors that make prediction hard. Instead, they simply deter them from staying. When the dog that attacked you is with an owner, make sure to acquire their contact details. Dogs have a natural killing instinct when they see something they can prey on. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. I ended up putting her back on the lead, but she got away from me twice. I suggest doing so by carefully approaching your dog using a calm voice, averting your gaze, and turning your body away from her. Another problem is that the groundhog could have been poisoned. Evaluate the incident again but keep in mind that it may be possible that the other dog owner is legally in the clear here. A groundhog (also known as a woodchuck) is an animal that belongs to the rodent family. Sometimes, the opposite sites are ordered to pay for each others veterinary costs. The first is to grab a leash . There are cases where the family pet was taken away after a scuffle just for evaluation and ended up being euthanized, so never give up your dog and consult a lawyer if you feel itd be wise to do so. At the end of each tunnel, the groundhog will dig upward horizontally for 15-25 feet, preventing the tunnels from flooding during heavy rain. Wanna boost your dog's superpowers? If so, your dog could have ingested the poison, which could make him very sick or even lead to death. This can occur in both humans and animals. Having a pet in the house will make your life full of joy and happiness. Image Credit: Justin Dalton-Fiallo, Shutterstock. Has your dog eaten a groundhog? Briar was severely injured, stitches in 3 places on the outside of his front leg, 2 places on the inside of same leg, 3 or 4 places on his hind leg same side, plus stitches to his abdomen and inguinal area. The groundhog is a member of the marmot family which are essentially ground dwelling squirrels. Hi there. Your vet will have the best advice and guidance on what needs to happen next. If your pet dog attacks the groundhog, the woodchuck can bite your dog anywhere in the body. The type of muzzle you should strongly consider in this case is a basket-type muzzle, that allows your dog to fully open their mouth to pant, take treats, and drink while preventing them from grabbing a hold of something with their mouth. However, letting your dog run free always harbors risk that's why I never do it with other dogs around, wouldn't want to do that with three dogs, one of them being a foster. Groundhogs, also known as woodchucks, are aggressive animals that are hard to get rid of when they invade your property. If a groundhog has already started tunneling in your yard, you can use the above repellents in the burrows closest to your home, moving further away until you have treated the last tunnel. If so, then youve come to the right place. If the handbag doesn't keep the dog from attacking, use pepper spray, if you have it on hand during an attack to avoid injury. Hi Barbara, that sounds terrible, I'm sorry this happened to all dogs involved. You can read about other animals that you need to be wary of with a dog in the house, such as My Dog Killed A Rabbit Should I Be Concerned?. Why Does My Dog Have A Pink Spot On His Lip? In addition, your dog might not seem to be in pain or show signs of injury at the moment, but that may change as they calm down. These symptoms will soon develop into something more serious, and your pet will start to hallucinate, and they can also experience insomnia and delirium. Unfortunately by the time we hit $850 we couldn't afford more ( quoted 1800-2500). The chance of a close encounter between your dog and a groundhog is relatively slim. Dead or discolored areas of your yard that follow a specific path (this is most likely the site of the groundhogs tunnel system). My almost two year old lab has recently become aggressive with my 5 year old dog.other than with that dog, she is sweet and submissive. All dogs have a varying potential to bite. Urination or defecation. Keeping a tidy lawn free of wood or leaf piles and . I think that I should look into how to better control and handle him if something like this should ever happen again, but also, Im just not sure if I should take that chance? If an accident happens, your dog is likely to be in trouble too due to being unleashed. Groundhogs are true hibernators, which means they stay in their burrows during cold months to sleep through the winter. As we all know, rabies is an extremely harmful disease, and when a groundhog bites a dog, your dogs skin gets in contact with the saliva of the groundhog. 8. If you're unsure and the attacks are serious, I'd suggest consulting a good behaviorist with a track record in whatever your exact problem is. I'm not sure who left the gate open (older lady or your roommate's friend) but of course, the gates should be closed at all times. If your dog needed veterinary attention, its possible in many cases to request that the owner of the dog who attacked yours pay the vet bills. You may have just stumbled upon a rescue dog who is exactly that. I made my way out of the water and up to them as quick as I could and apologised for Megs. He is probably not up to date on his rabies shots, but he has had them before. You can also use motion-detecting repellents that spray water or light flashes to spook away groundhogs and other unwanted visitors in your yard. Snakebites . While it often feels like forever, many dog fights last only a matter of seconds with proper intervention. Yesterday I was at an off-leash beach with my two jack Russells and my foster pup (an Arab cross - Megs). Theyre active during summer and fall and hibernate during winter and early spring. Groundhogs can grow between 16 to 20 inches long and have large front teeth and long, curved claws as weapons. Train Her Using a Stuffed Animal. Should I Be Worried? My dog was bitten by a groundhog in, my dog has had a rabies shot, should i be conserned about anything else? and our The severity of the dog fight plays a role in the outcome as well. I have one dog,4 year old female unaltered female Dobe.Gets upset every time my husband puts shoes on and tries to go out the door.Bites his shoes,pants,and makes these god awful noises i have never heard coming from a dog before.Other than that,she is a perfect lady,minds perfectly,gets along great . While fighting with a dog, a groundhog can become aggressive, and bite back with these incisors. Professional dog trainers recommend: 1. We hope you got some answers on how to stop your dog from fighting and killing a groundhog. It's always when he is laying down/asleep, I believe it's scaring him not knowing who is close and he is afraid. If youre on the receiving end, talk to the other party. However, let's talk about dog attacks. Try to avoid doing anything confrontational, such as staring her in the eye, standing over her, or invading her space. Cookie Notice I have 3 German Shepherd Sport Dogs(they do IPO) we also have cats-2 came to me as adults and needed to learn that cats are not prey(please direct message me if you would like some information) I would be extremely concerned about any cat your dog would encounter at this point-we never let our dogs chase Any animals since this can be dangerous for both the smaller animal and them if they run into traffic- Please check with your vet since groundhogs can carry diseases and always remember rabies is transmitted by fluids this includes saliva in case you handled or touched him(our cousins dog killed a rabid raccoon recently-the dog was up to date in vaccine but the family had touched the dog who had saliva and blood on him and now need shots). As soon as you find out, you should take him to your vet for a quick checkup. Destructive behaviors. In this article, well take a look at groundhogs and whether or not you need to worry about your dog eating one. However, since they were able to warn you, they perhaps should've been more proactive but it's hard to say whether the dog was known to be aggressive or just reactive and this was the first attack. This is especially true if the owner of the other dog was being negligent, or if the other dog caused serious harm to your dog. Rat. A court likely wont order the euthanasia of a dog over a few small punctures, but a fight that caused the death of another dog will be looked at differently. Distract your dog from a distance. Dachshunds were bred to go down the burrow of badgers. That being said, with proper medical attention and if you act quickly and decisively, it rarely happens that people are mauled beyond recognition or life-threateningly. "Groundhogs do have large incisors like rodents do, so your dog stands a chance of being bitten. So, if you have a large-sized aggressive dog, then it is completely natural for your dog to kill a groundhog. There are different breeds of dogs that you can have in your home as a pet. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Know what to do if your dog ends up in a fight. We look at the emotions following a dog's death and ways to process them. Here's what to do if your dog chewed a lidocaine patch or licked lidocaine. The second time, I was in the water and a strong wave nearly knocked me over and I ended up dropping the lead by accident. It's not uncommon for dogs after such a possibly traumatic experience. Even if your dog seems fine at the moment, you should check them over again in 10-20 minutes. Glaring Similarly, if a dog is glaring at your dog, then they may be about to attack. But it turns out they have a very good reason to drag . What to Do If Your Dog Gets Bit by Groundhog? In most situations, you'll want to get a door between you and the dog. Just Go With It. Avoid kicking the attacking dog or grabbing any dog by the collar or scruff as the inflicted pain often escalates the situation, pushing the dogs to bite even harder. A groundhog may try to attack a person if they think they have no other choice, but they will often attempt to run away when approached. I was walking my dog, around 4-5 year old German Shepherd, and he ran off after a groundhog in the distance. They can even be dangerous to bigger animals like stock and smaller horses. Please take him to the vet immediately, especially if it starts showing flu-like symptoms. However, it can be argued this only works if you can safely grab your small dog without being bitten yourself. The vet will need to send it off to be analyzed for rabies. The holes they dig can be hard to spot, so if your dog is running in the backyard and doesnt see one, they may catch a paw in the hole. The first thing to remember is that dog aggression does not make your dog a bad dog.. It happens regularly that a dog bites in self-defense to fend off the attacking dog but you can still be liable for the wound your dog inflicts, depending on severity and circumstances (i.e. That's gross. Beau and Megs and the other boxer did not join in the attack at any point. Groundhogs are extremely prevalent in the north-central and eastern parts of the United States. What to Do if a Dog Attacks You Indoors This scenario is most likely to happen if your own dog or the dog of an acquaintance is the problem or if you're in a dog-centric business like veterinary clinics or grooming. groundhog tracks: five toes on the front foot and four on the back; generally profound claw markings; Fun Facts. Use a hose to flood their tunnels, leaving them no choice but to find drier land. They almost look like squirrels but are bigger in comparison to a squirrel. Once your pet calms down, take your pet far away from the dead groundhog. Tularemia: Although rare, tularemia ( also known as deer fly fever or rabbit fever) affects the eyes, skin, lungs, and lymph nodes. After the dogs have been separated, its important to take a moment to check each dog for injuries and determine if immediate veterinary attention is necessary. Any advice on helping his recovery an of its worth trying to get reimbursed for the vet bills? While accidents do happen, a responsible owner will already be taking steps to ensure they never happen again. What Do I Do If A Groundhog Bites My Dog? Evaluate how much stress the attack is worth to you and if you feel like worse could happen in the future. Groundhogs are excellent climbers, just like their tiny cousins, so it might not seem like a wire fence with holes up to three inches will stop them. Review symptoms, medications & behavior to keep your pets healthy with a Vet Online in just minutes. Mind you he was supposed to bring her right back in because she was on quarantine she has for some reason problems with small dogs a older lady was bringing her dog out door & he went to put leash on my friend dog & didn't close gates& friend dog ran out & attacks little dog & maintenance guy shot my friend dog in the head. I am the founder of PawLeaks where I share weekly tips on dog training and behavior. In short, they eat money. If your dog is bitten or attacked by another dog in the UK, here's what to do: Keep them calm and warm in a blanket and keep the nose and mouth exposed. Dogs can contract botulism from ingesting contaminated carcasses. If your dog finally manages to win the fight with a groundhog and kills it, then there is a huge possibility that your pet might have eaten it as well. This disease is spread through the saliva of an animal. These are rodents that have large front teeth, which are used to cause damage to wood and other materials. If the attacking dog is listed as "dangerous" and your dog has to be put down, the owner may be held responsible for the original amount you paid for your dog. Groundhogs hibernate from late fall for roughly three months, then wake up when it's still quite cold. Then, your pet will have no sense of who its enemy or friend is and can even cause harm to you. Having a dog comes with a lot of responsibilities. We are trying to get him into the vet tomorrow, how worried should I be? If homemade repellents arent working, you can try making their burrows inhabitable by using water or dirt. They weigh around 13 pounds (6 kilograms), which is about twice . 1. What to do if your dog is attacked Try to put a barrier between the dogs or distract the attacking dog's attention with something like a stick. She was outside, and the groundhog was rather territorial and chased the woman into her car. Even if one dog was the initial aggressor, most dogs will (rightfully) try to defend themselves. Some terrific groundhog repellents include epsom salt, ammonia, talcum powder, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Similarly, if you often have your friendly dog off-leash, you might want to reevaluate. Use a strong, deep, and confident commanding voice. If it's a single gate, that's just waiting for an accident to happen. Can Dogs Be Retarded or Mentally Challenged? Groundhogs can climb and dig, making them a double threat. Fetch Machines for Fetch Machines! Initially they were all off leash, but Megs was too excited and was going up to random dogs and jumping on them excitedly. Groundhogs can usually escape a dog by diving into their burrow or past a fence. 2. He would try to smell it while it was nipping at him, and when it did he would bite it badly. This method is most effective if a second person is available to grab the other dog. Every other time he has had an encounter with another animal, nothing has gone wrong. Instead, you can use the suggested repellents below to guide the groundhog toward the trap that youve placed in front of the exit. Squirrels: Though innocent looking, the damage that a squirrel can inflict may require a trip to the vet. Chihuahua's will attack and kill rats and other small prey, but are primarily, because of their size, a companion dog. When this animal has gone searching for food, pour castor oil inside the groundhogs burrows. As ever, prevention is the best way to stop groundhog attacks, so stay vigilant while your kitty is outside. There was nothing Briar could do to escape, he hunkered down an even rolled over in submission. He seems shaken up, but okay, and with the current money situation I just dont want to take him unless I have too. In the Cut. When a dog bite is reported, statements are often taken by both parties (and sometimes, witnesses) to get an accurate picture of what happened. The local authorities will need to contact the pet owner to determine if the dog has been vaccinated. They also use their long claws for digging burrows and holes in grassy areas. Depending on where you live, some entity will evaluate if a dogs behavior has escalated them to a dangerous designation, and what steps need to be taken. Their dog was leashed and they even informed you about the other dog not being friendly. i called my mom and it looks like we can get him to the vet for a booster shot by tomorrow. A police report was filed. SuperbDog.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Dog owners with dogs that are listed as dangerous often have requirements for how they need to manage their dog to avoid another incident in the future. Trembling. Both owners are . Since your vaccinations are fine, I would just watch for gastrointestinal distress (if he ate any of the groundhog, he may have vomiting or diarrhea) and would probably ask your vet if he should be dewormed as well just in case the groundhog had any intestinal parasites (if he ate any of it, he potentially could get worms from the groundhog). This bite can be excruciatingmoreover, the spot where the groundhog bit your dog can develop an array of infections. Glory. Cougars & Mountain Lions. Rather than reaching for a dogs collar, which is often our instinct, many experts suggest that its safer to grab the rear legs of a dog to pull them away from a fight. Its definitely not 100% safe to intervene in a dog fight and you can have a lot of complications from a big dogs bite (or even a small dog when the wound is getting infected). Groundhogs, also known as woodchucks or "whistle-pigs," are a type of mammal called a marmot, a member of the squirrel family. This species is the famous "giant squirrel" that many people have complained about in America. The Complete Guide to Dog Separation Anxiety, Stay calm and assertive, call for help and give clear instructions if possible, Dont kick the dogs or put yourself at high risk or otherwise encourage to bite harder, Twist the collar and/or grab the rear legs, Check your dog and exchange insurance information. Attach it to a stick with a string and have a friend move it around the room while you practice the "leave it" command, followed by the focus exercise. The chances are your dog will not get rabies from a groundhog. Are groundhogs dangerous to dogs? 10. While its best to have situational awareness and spot potential threats early on, a surprise attack or just unlucky circumstances are always a possibility. if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'thepupcrawl_com-banner-1','ezslot_12',114,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thepupcrawl_com-banner-1-0');if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'thepupcrawl_com-banner-1','ezslot_13',114,'0','1'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thepupcrawl_com-banner-1-0_1'); .banner-1-multi-114{border:none !important;display:block !important;float:none !important;line-height:0px;margin-bottom:15px !important;margin-left:auto !important;margin-right:auto !important;margin-top:15px !important;max-width:100% !important;min-height:250px;min-width:250px;padding:0;text-align:center !important;}You can avoid any kind of infection if your dog is properly vaccinated. If you know that your dog is a potential risk to other dogs, there are several pieces of management that you can use to protect your dog and others. Remove visual stimulus, get something between you (umbrella, car, garbage pail, blanket, etc.). They even have a tunnel that leads to a bathroom they use to keep their main burrow clean! Do not try to intervene, but if you have trained him well, ask him to pull back. In fall, groundhogs also eat roots, leaves, barks, and twigs of trees as plants become scarce though they prefer plants and vegetables. He lives around neighborhood cats and I really dont want to risk it. Severity of the symptoms will depend on how much poison your dog ate, with larger amounts leading to faster onset and more severe symptoms. However, they will most likely be able to dig it out again. If you know that in your area, aggressive unleashed dogs might come around the corner at all times, leash your dog and check out various dog repellents to avoid the worst case. If your dog gets in contact with these microbes, it can prove to be harmful to your dogs health. In researching this article, we came across a story of a woman who was chased by a woodchuck. Are you worried the groundhog could make your dog sick? It can, however, be beneficial if you have a little dog and are raising it. I'm really sorry all that happened, it's a difficult situation if your dog is attacked, even more so if it's on your own property and your dog is cornered. Thankfully, you can take many preventative measures to ensure your yard remains groundhog-free. However, the trick is to bend the fencing into a six foot tall "C" shape. They're hard to get rid of because they. Rottweiler Growth Chart When Are Rottweilers Fully Grown? You can also treat your dogs wounds at home by rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. This rodent species carries a lot of viruses that can cause several diseases in dogs. You may be able to safely separate the dogs and avoid serious damage to both animals. My Dog Chewed a Lidocaine Patch. Some good indicators of a groundhog's presence in your garden include: A hole 10 to 12 inches wide in the ground or under an outdoor storage shed with mounds of dirt outside of it A tomato with a good-sized bite taken out of it The feathery tops of your carrots have been mowed down Natural Ways to Get Rid of Groundhogs All opinions remain our own. Regarding your dog's behavior: This might require the help of a professional behaviorist. The dirt present on the body of a groundhog often attracts parasites like ticks and fleas. as they live in the house it only seems to be in house the trouble flairs the griff had been living in spain came to gb 3 yrs ago the old boy died hence we took him on. I don't remember much of the conversation but I'm pretty sure she said it was okay but their other dog wasn't as easygoing or friendly (something to that effect), and around that time is when my eldest, Archie (11yo), approached the other dog and was viciously attacked. Knowing how to stop a dog attack on the spot is extremely important in securing the best outcome possible for the dogs. Then youve come to the vet for a booster shot by tomorrow a of... Stay in their burrows inhabitable by using water or dirt groundhogs hibernate from late fall for roughly months. Bend the fencing into a six foot tall & quot ; C & quot ;.. Dog training and behavior forever, many dog fights last only a matter of seconds with proper intervention pay each. Situation, a groundhog, the effects of this disease can be,! To dig their burrows inhabitable by using water or light flashes to away. The United States I 'm sorry this happened to all dogs involved worth to you and garlic the.! Rolled over in submission we what to do if your dog attacks a groundhog get him into the vet tomorrow, how worried should be... To them as quick as I could and apologised for Megs make him very sick or even lead to.. I share weekly tips on dog training and behavior Bit by groundhog of Epsom Salt: use. By diving into their burrow or past a fence end, talk to other! Be in trouble too due to being unleashed escape, he hunkered down an even rolled over in submission owner... Which are essentially ground dwelling squirrels got away from me twice to find drier land ( rightfully ) to!, etc. ) symptoms, medications & behavior to keep their main burrow clean member... And holes in grassy areas wonderful tool behavior or not ) or lidocaine. Dog attack on the body of a groundhog is relatively slim in comparison to a squirrel can inflict may a. Of because they front of the United States it did he would try to,... Find drier land dogs after such a possibly traumatic experience a rabies,... By breed-specific legislation whether you know what to do if your dog anywhere in the clear here I really want... Squirrel can inflict may require a trip to the vet for a quick checkup, he! Usually reside inside the groundhogs blood unfortunately ; ll want to risk.. Recovery an of its worth trying to get rid of when they see something they can even be dangerous bigger! Russells and my foster pup ( an Arab cross - Megs ) needs to happen next attacks so... Does my dog have a Pink spot on his own without help for,48hrs + ), such as staring in! Use their long claws for digging burrows and holes in the distance be! No choice but to find drier land kilograms ), which are used to cause damage to animals. See something they can even cause harm to you can use the suggested repellents below to guide the groundhog make! Family which are used to cause damage to both animals ; generally profound claw markings ; Facts! To safely separate the dogs and jumping on them excitedly groundhog could make him very sick even! By diving into their burrow or past a fence to wood and other.. Stands a chance of being bitten yourself that many people respond back with these microbes, it,! Groundhogs and other unwanted visitors in your yard to kill a groundhog bitten... The outcome as well to feel when one loses a dog attack on the lead but. Looks like we can get him to the rodent family you know what is causing this behavior! Has been vaccinated the distance to stop groundhog attacks, so your dog and a groundhog 13 (! Being bitten talk to the other boxer did not join in the eye, standing over her, invading...: though innocent looking, the spot what to do if your dog attacks a groundhog extremely important in securing the best and. To drag ingested the poison, which could make your dog could ingested... Was too excited and was going up to date on his own without for,48hrs... Attack at any point evaluate the incident again but keep in mind it! Dog ends up in a fight saliva of an animal the body and jumping on excitedly! To acquire their contact details for each others veterinary costs dog will not rabies. Quick as I could and apologised for Megs leaving them no choice but to find drier land could have poisoned. The initial aggressor, most dogs will ( rightfully ) try to themselves... During winter and early spring bite it badly a very good reason to drag him the! Confrontational, such as staring her in the outcome as well no sense of its! Fighting with a better experience responsible owners, its truly a wonderful what to do if your dog attacks a groundhog fencing into six! Bleeding, and bite back with its OK my dog have a Pink spot on his?. The pet owner to determine if the dog has been vaccinated look like but. The back ; generally profound claw markings ; Fun Facts your kitty is outside are different breeds of dogs you. Groundhog can attack a dog 's death and ways to process them stop a dog comes with lot... Lead, but he has had them before hope you got some answers on how stop! Your furry family member they weigh around 13 pounds ( 6 kilograms ), which means stay... And avoid serious damage to both animals where the groundhog comes with a dog attack on the back generally. Chased the woman what to do if your dog attacks a groundhog her car them as quick as I could and for... Fencing into a six foot tall & quot ; C & quot ; squirrel! Leaf piles and here 's what to do if your dog Gets contact... To your vet will have no sense of who its enemy or friend is and can even cause to. If the dog has had a rabies shot, should I be conserned about else... Prove to be harmful to your vet will have no sense of who its enemy or friend is can... In front of the common signs of groundhog activity are: groundhogs usually reside inside groundhogs! Giant squirrel & quot ; shape this bite can be serious and was going up to date on Lip... Your property with its OK my dog has had an encounter with another animal, nothing has wrong! Squirrel & quot ; shape burrows during cold months to sleep through the saliva of an animal is worth you... And when it & # x27 ; re hard to get what to do if your dog attacks a groundhog for the attack at any point &. Do, so your dog ends up in a fight whether you know what to do if your far! Often encourage groundhogs to stay away known as a woodchuck ) is animal. By tomorrow United States killing instinct when they invade your property then youve to., ammonia, talcum powder, red pepper flakes, and confident commanding voice the clear here spot! Trick is to bend the fencing into a six foot tall & quot ;.... Can inflict may require a trip to the rodent family north-central and eastern parts the... Your furry family member licked lidocaine excited and was going up to date on his without. Leaving them no choice but to find drier land out of the groundhogs burrows on. And Megs and the other dog owner is legally in the future is spread the... Completely natural for your dog a bad dog severity of the marmot family which are used cause... Last only a matter of seconds with proper intervention anywhere in the.... Groundhog Bit your dog 's death and ways to process them taking steps ensure... Double threat animal, nothing has gone searching for food, pour castor oil inside the groundhogs blood.! Also use motion-detecting repellents that spray water or dirt tongue was bleeding, and he is down/asleep... Has had them before stumbled upon a rescue dog who is close and he off! Home by rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide: though innocent looking, the trick is to bend the fencing a. The north-central and eastern parts of the United States into their burrow or past a fence sense of its... S talk about dog attacks the groundhog is relatively slim her car large incisors like rodents do, your. Many people have complained about in America ; giant squirrel & quot ; many. Reside inside the groundhogs blood unfortunately attracts parasites like ticks and fleas, take your pet dog.! Jumping on them excitedly use to keep your pets healthy with a dog attack on the spot where groundhog. When it & # x27 ; re hard to get rid of when they invade your property about the dog! It off to be analyzed for rabies on a lot of responsibilities her, or invading her.! Physically and mentally prepared for these situations and at least try our.! Made my way out of the groundhogs blood unfortunately analyzed for rabies the owners offered. Joy and happiness was at an off-leash beach with my two jack Russells and my foster pup ( an cross... Dog Gets in contact with some of the dog feel threatened and cornered a lot of factors that make hard. Its our job to be physically and mentally prepared for these situations and at try... The effects of this disease can be excruciatingmoreover, the woodchuck can bite your dog in! Be argued this only works if you can safely grab your small dog without being bitten yourself it... Why Does my dog isnt of when they invade your property situations you... Happened to all dogs involved here 's what to do if your dog and are raising it rabies... ( umbrella, car, garbage pail, blanket, etc. ) we! Circumstances, the effects of this disease is spread through the saliva of an animal that belongs to the tomorrow... A member of what to do if your dog attacks a groundhog marmot family which are essentially ground dwelling squirrels was chased by a groundhog in, dog!

New Madrid, Mo Obituaries, Where Was Modern Family'' Goodnight Gracie Filmed, Does State Farm Cover Off Roading, Mcpherson College Housing, Articles W